Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My AW have some scratches it is because I did not put case protector on it. Apple Store wants my $200 and I can't afford it it.

Sometimes I think it's inevitable to understand the Apple Watch will scratch. It's one of those objects that we can protect as much as we want and it will ultimately hit against something. The down side with the aluminum Watch, once scratched, is permanent.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
One of the several reasons I went with the SS over the aluminum is that you can polish out the scratches. I don't worry about normal wear too much, but I have already polished it once after several months of daily wear. It's amazing how easy it is to buff out the scratches with a Cape Cod cloth.

Reactions: ozayas and MrGimper

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
The Cape Cod cloth works wonders on the SS AW. Before I sold my S0 SS AW, I gave it a good scrub and try to get it looking like as new as possible to fetch the best price. It had some very fine micro scratches that buffed right out and under normal lighting, it was back to as good as new. The buyer said the watch was indeed in pristine condition. So when I bought my S2, it was SS again and I don't intend to baby it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Cape Cod cloth works wonders on the SS AW. Before I sold my S0 SS AW, I gave it a good scrub and try to get it looking like as new as possible to fetch the best price. It had some very fine micro scratches that buffed right out and under normal lighting, it was back to as good as new. The buyer said the watch was indeed in pristine condition. So when I bought my S2, it was SS again and I don't intend to baby it.

Purchased a bundle off Amazon of Cape Cod. Reviews are stellar.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iv bought a matt black skin for it and a screen protector

The only advice I can give you, is to make sure when you apply the skin, to take your time and follow directions. Sometimes the skin protectors on the Apple Watch look horrible if they are not seated properly. I personally don't have one, but I have seen them on the Apple Watch is and they look hideous if they are not applied correctly.

And if you know somebody that can apply the skin protector, that has experience, I would allow them to do it. Or you can watch A tutorial video on YouTube.

Reactions: ladytonya

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I have two, an original Sport that is scratched to hell and back because of work. I'm constantly working in tight spaces and building stuff out of metal. I wear this one during the day when I travel for work, and when I sleep at home.

My other watch is a Stainless Series 2, it is in brand new condition. I wear this when I'm not working when I travel, and during the day when I'm at home.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have two, an original Sport that is scratched to hell and back because of work. I'm constantly working in tight spaces and building stuff out of metal. I wear this one during the day when I travel for work, and when I sleep at home.

My other watch is a Stainless Series 2, it is in brand new condition. I wear this when I'm not working when I travel, and during the day when I'm at home.

I think the Sport models have are cheaper to abuse and the materials are cheaper. Where as the stainless has the sapphire display and the 316 L stainless can have the scratches buffed out. But I agree, the stainless wouldn't be used for hard labor being how nice it is. And when the aluminum scratches, its permanent.

Clf139

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
IMG_2157.jpg
I think the Sport models have are cheaper to abuse and the materials are cheaper. Where as the stainless has the sapphire display and the 316 L stainless can have the scratches buffed out. But I agree, the stainless wouldn't be used for hard labor being how nice it is. And when the aluminum scratches, its permanent.

How would a scratch in aluminum be any more or less permenant than if it was in 316L? From my experience aluminum and 316 both finish nicely.

Either way, the screen on my Nike+ ed. is scratched and it hasn't even been a week since I bought it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
View attachment 689771

How would a scratch in aluminum be any more or less permenant than if it was in 316L? From my experience aluminum and 316 both finish nicely.

Either way, the screen on my Nike+ ed. is scratched and it hasn't even been a week since I bought it.

The 7000 series aluminum used on the Apple Watch and the 316 L stainless steel used on the stainless model have completely different vulnerabilities.

Once the aluminum on the sport model is scratched or nicked, it's permanent. There is literally no way of removing the damaged area. The screen that is used on the sport model is Ion-X, is primarily the same material used on the iPhone screen.

The stainless model Apple Watch, if you scratch or Nick the casing, it can be buffed out with the polish or polishing cloth. The stainless watch has a sapphire display, which is highly scratch resistant. The 316 L stainless is also much softer metal, where it can easily be scratched, but also can be easily polished within minutes.

And regarding the scratch on your Nike watch, sometimes it doesn't take much to damage the display on the sport model. Some have said it holds up well and others have said it scratches easily. I guess it all depends on what type of material you hit it on. But I can defintely see the scratches from your pictures on the display. That's one of the benefits that I have owning the stainless model is the sapphire display.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wholmeswa

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I scratched mine about a month after i got it. When you have something that's worn everyday in a place thats constantly moving and could bump into things its going to be hard not to scratch it eventually.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Multiple small scratches on mine. Don't even know where or how they came about.
65ec5841ba8db5f792aa14facbeb5075.jpg

Your Watch looks like it's chipping, not scratching. And oddly enough, all the chips appear to between the display and casing. Have you hit it on anything or how do you over all treat it? I know you haven't had it that long based on other threads you mentioned.

When I first owned a Sport Model, I had one chip similar to your picture between the display and casing. Apple replaced it for free due to a defect. It's one of the reasons I upgraded to the Stainless model.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Your Watch looks like it's chipping, not scratching. And oddly enough, all the chips appear to between the display and casing. Have you hit it on anything or how do you over all treat it? I know you haven't had it that long based on other threads you mentioned.

When I first owned a Sport Model, I had one chip similar to your picture between the display and casing. Apple replaced it for free due to a defect. It's one of the reasons I upgraded to the Stainless model.

I don't treat my Watch roughly. It's possible that my Watch might have hit or rubbed against something without me noticing it, but otherwise, I would say I take very good care of my Apple products.

Will reach out to Apple as per your suggestion. Thanks.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't treat my Watch roughly. It's possible that my Watch might have hit or rubbed against something without me noticing it, but otherwise, I would say I take very good care of my Apple products.

Will reach out to Apple as per your suggestion. Thanks.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out. Nice to see you in the Apple Watch forums by the way. It's usually I see you in the main page articles.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Good luck. Let us know what you find out. Nice to see you in the Apple Watch forums by the way. It's usually I see you in the main page articles.

Thanks. I do lurk around the other parts of the forum (especially the ios and iPad sub forums); just that there haven't been too many threads in the Apple Watch forum that seem really engaging.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I have a few surface scratches on the screen that can only be noticed under halogen light from the right angle. Eveverybody gets surface scratches on their screens - its unavoidable. But I fortunately don't have any blemishes on the casing.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a few surface scratches on the screen that can only be noticed under halogen light from the right angle. Eveverybody gets surface scratches on their screens - its unavoidable. But I fortunately don't have any blemishes on the casing.

I agree. Hairline scratches happen. When I owned the sport model, my screen look flawless. But under certain lighting conditions, I could see very minimal/hairline scratches on the screen. Anyways, I did up selling it And upgrading to the stainless with the Sapphire display.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I agree. Hairline scratches happen. When I owned the sport model, my screen look flawless. But under certain lighting conditions, I could see very minimal/hairline scratches on the screen. Anyways, I did up selling it And upgrading to the stainless with the Sapphire display.
So do you have any hairline scratches on the sapphire display? I thought maybe it could still scratch because of the coatings on it.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Noticed a very odd scratch on my SS SB screen yesterday and have absolutely no idea how it happened. Only had the watch for 3 weeks (just past the return period, natch) and I have been absolutely babying this thing. It can only be seen when light hits the display at a very specific angle. Unfortunately, that angle is when you are looking directly at the display.

IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I bought my Series 2 aluminum in September and although I am very careful with it, it has major scratches along the left edge of the screen (and I wear it on my right arm because I'm left-handed). The aluminum looks as good as the day I bought it but I am very disappointed in the integrity of the screen. The screen protectors look awful (IMO) with the screen's curved edge but I may get one just to cover the big scratches so they're not so noticeable and drive me crazy.. Very disappointed in the screen durability because, as I said, I'm very careful.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I bought my Series 2 aluminum in September and although I am very careful with it, it has major scratches along the left edge of the screen (and I wear it on my right arm because I'm left-handed). The aluminum looks as good as the day I bought it but I am very disappointed in the integrity of the screen. The screen protectors look awful (IMO) with the screen's curved edge but I may get one just to cover the big scratches so they're not so noticeable and drive me crazy.. Very disappointed in the screen durability because, as I said, I'm very careful.

I owned the Sport model when it first released. I was really displeased with the durability of the Ion-X Glass. I also thought it scratched to easily. I am much more satisfied with the sapphire display on the stainless model. You are correct, the aluminum does really well against damage. But display was one of the reasons I sold it.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I have owned a Sport model since last February. At first I was really anal about it and didn't have any blemishes. I finally decided that it's a watch, while I don't want to use and abuse it with normal use there will be some scratches. I have a few micro scratches but they're hardly noticeable, plus it's a watch! Watches get scratched so I'm to going to worry about it.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Man, these pictures of watches on peoples arms are reminding me that ya'll are real people and not just cartoon avatars. Freaking me out...

I've got a scratch on my S0 aluminium that I got from hitting a door handle on the third day. I've banged plenty of things since, but haven't gotten another scratch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.