Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I wanted the Space Grey- all they had was silver. I went back to the store- and looked at both -it's super tought to decide which I like better. The SG is not as nice in person as it is in pictures. The silver is really nice on the back but the contrasts I find disjointing. It's close to a toss up. Silver is not as popular now but I have a feeling it will get more popular.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I wanted the Space Grey- all they had was silver. I went back to the store- and looked at both -it's super tought to decide which I like better. The SG is not as nice in person as it is in pictures. The silver is really nice on the back but the contrasts I find disjointing. It's close to a toss up. Silver is not as popular now but I have a feeling it will get more popular.

Also you have to remember you’re looking at it in an Apple store where scores of people have been handling it and it’s finger print city. I think all cleaned up they are both beautiful, SG is so stealth, and silver is just such a nice looking phone. Honestly can’t loose with either IMO.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I preordered space grey, but went with silver when i bought from the Apple Store (cancelled pre-order). I really do like the look of the space grey, but the silver model just popped to me.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Space Grey, no question. I handled both this weekend and the "dirty light grey" and chrome band just looks, well, too showy. It's like a lot of people on here are buying their iPhones for other peoples aesthetic benefit, not their own. Me? I like my phones to be a bit less showy, more classy, and better suited to every day and business life. Same with cases. Black leather please.
Its not light gray. It’s a pearl like color.

I am a “white” person so I went with silver naturally.
[doublepost=1509927854][/doublepost]
Also you have to remember you’re looking at it in an Apple store where scores of people have been handling it and it’s finger print city. I think all cleaned up they are both beautiful, SG is so stealth, and silver is just such a nice looking phone. Honestly can’t loose with either IMO.
This is how I feel about these phones. Its the first time I liked both colors almost equally.

Reactions: Sean76 and Playmbl

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have an unopened SG which I intend to return and get the silver when I can find it. From the videos and pics prior to launch I thought the SG looked better, but when I actually saw them in person that changed. Someone looking for a SG iPhone will get lucky when I bring mine back.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I have an unopened SG which I intend to return and get the silver when I can find it. From the videos and pics prior to launch I thought the SG looked better, but when I actually saw them in person that changed. Someone looking for a SG iPhone will get lucky when I bring mine back.

The more people I speak to say the same thing. I still do like the SG but after all is said and done I might just go with the Silver for now, I can always switch to a Space Gray X in February because that’s when my mom got her 7 last year and she intends to get the X while staying with the iPhone upgrade program. I would just give her my silver X and have her get the SG X and do a swap with her....it’s nice having family members that are Apple heads like me...lol

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
It’s just kind of dumb to know you are buying a phone with the intent of returning it all because the color you wanted was not available on the day you just had to have the phone. Dishonest too.
If it were dishonest Apple wouldn't allow it. The % of returns vs the volume of production is pretty much insignificant.

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
The Space gray is clean but i fell in love with the silver. I like the way the color shifts on the back. From silver to white in different lighting. The stainless band shows off the iPhone at it's best. Status symbol or not. Apple makes the best looking phones.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I will be going to the Apple store to switch my space gray for silver. I always wanted the silver but couldn’t get my hands on a 256 Silver launch day. My local store now has the silver in the 256. Anyone made the switch? I am switching because always liked the lighter color and the shiny band! The space gray is nice, but just came from 7 plus jet black. A little tired from the dark color.
Silver only looks good from the back. The black looks better when you look at the screen because your focus is on the screen with the dark boundaries around it rather than being distracted by the shiny chrome

Guess what you will be using the most

Hint: not the back

Reactions: Playmbl and vito

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Silver only looks good from the back. The black looks better when you look at the screen because your focus is on the screen with the dark boundaries around it rather than being distracted by the shiny chrome

Guess what you will be using the most

Hint: not the back
that's an interesting observation. the silver is distracting a bit for me- but from the back...not the front. the front i dont see the sides so much

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I thought I was going with silver but preferred Space grey. Kept that one, returning silver.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah I don’t see the sides either. I went with silver also. Always had black phones and this was my first chance to get a white back with a black front so I jumped on it. Silver looks amazing to me. Very happy with my purchase.

Reactions: DiveKitty

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
It’s just kind of dumb to know you are buying a phone with the intent of returning it all because the color you wanted was not available on the day you just had to have the phone. Dishonest too.

Agree. Apple should start charging a restocking fee on non-defective returns.

ilovefetachez

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I will be going to the Apple store to switch my space gray for silver. I always wanted the silver but couldn’t get my hands on a 256 Silver launch day. My local store now has the silver in the 256. Anyone made the switch? I am switching because always liked the lighter color and the shiny band! The space gray is nice, but just came from 7 plus jet black. A little tired from the dark color.

Originally pre-ordered the space gray but canceled it when i saw the silver in person at Verizon. It’s a very warm silver, almost a champagne color. Looks awesome with a clear case! No Regerts ;)

Reactions: Sean76

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Agree. Apple should start charging a restocking fee on non-defective returns.

Why the hostility?

That’s what a 14 day return policy is for, so that if someone wants to exchange what they boight for something else they can. Does it really matter to you what color someone exchanges for? Do you really think that if this person didn’t exchange you would get a phone quicker?

Sorry I don’t mean to be rude but what’s it to you if someone wants to bring something back and get a different color? I’m all for return policies, and in this day and age business’s need to be accommodating towards the customer because when you’re paying big dollars for a product you want that little extra reassurance that if you’re not happy come on back and get what’s going to make you happy.

Sorry, I just don’t see the logic of being mad at someone for using the system in place to get what they want.

Reactions: vito

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Why the hostility?

That’s what a 14 day return policy is for, so that if someone wants to exchange what they boight for something else they can. Does it really matter to you what color someone exchanges for? Do you really think that if this person didn’t exchange you would get a phone quicker?

Sorry I don’t mean to be rude but what’s it to you if someone wants to bring something back and get a different color? I’m all for return policies, and in this day and age business’s need to be accommodating towards the customer because when you’re paying big dollars for a product you want that little extra reassurance that if you’re not happy come on back and get what’s going to make you happy.

Sorry, I just don’t see the logic of being mad at someone for using the system in place to get what they want.
Getting a phone is never a problem, I just walk into the store and buy one.

My issue is someone buying a new phone, knowing full well they will return it because they are looking for a different color.

If someone wants to try the phone because they are not sure if they want it, fine. But buying color x, knowing it will be returned for color y, is wrong.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Getting a phone is never a problem, I just walk into the store and buy one.

My issue is someone buying a new phone, knowing full well they will return it because they are looking for a different color.

If someone wants to try the phone because they are not sure if they want it, fine. But buying color x, knowing it will be returned for color y, is wrong.

lol again why is this something that makes you mad. Whether it’s a phone, a computer, a sweater at Macy’s...An exchange or return policy is in place no what the issue may be, Yes that includes someone buying an IPhone X in Black because that may be all that’s available and than switching to the Silver when it’s available....I’m pretty sure Apple thought this through and is ok with Johnny Dangerous breaking the color law and than exchanging his phone for the color he wants....in essence who cares? It’s not coming out of your pocket or anyone here, or Apple either because they will take that phone and probably use it as a demo...so therefore nobody losses...But it’s your right to be mad..lol

Reactions: vito and areyes163

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I’d ordered a SG online but seeing a Silver available locally, I decided to just go for it and have no regrets.

Lol same boat!

It’s funny how every reviewer on YouTube is now using Space Gray when late last week they were all saying how much of a fingerprint magnet it was and blah blah blah...

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Have a look at the child marshmallow test. Those of us able to wait for the actual phone we want - delayed gratification - are the real winners in life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.