Who has Upgraded HD in MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryanhdd, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

So who has upgraded their hard drive in their MBP? I just ordered a 320g 7200 seagate to replace my 90g 7200 that has ran out of space. I have bootcamp running xp. The new drive comes with a case and I will use super duper to clone my osx side and well not sure about my xp side. Although i have been reading about winclone. Has anyone used winclone? I know super duper works flawlessly and am not sure about winclone. Thanks.

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I used SuperDuper although I didn't clone a partition.

Used a WD 320GB - sure any brand will do though.

My only problem is that when I start the laptop it takes about 7 seconds before the apple logo shows.

Hardware wise I wasn't able to put the case around the keyboard back on - it doesn't clip in as it used to around the front. Have pushed quite hard but it doesn't clip in and am a bit worried of breaking it to force it further.

That's just me though - it's fairly simple just make sure you have the right tools and download the guide from ifixit and print it out.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Your question about winclone is probably best answered in the windows on Mac forum, or you could use the link in my sig to search,anyways i've used it a couple of times and it works a treat

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've replaced my MacBook's hard drive twice now. Just make sure you have a good place to put your screws so you don't lose them, and group them by size and so you know which go where. It's not a terribly difficult job.

Personally I didn't bother with any cloning of my hard drive when I upgrade (although I am partial to Carbon Copy Cloner) I just put the old drive in an external case so I can restore my documents, and use the opportunity to do a "Spring cleaning". Fresh OS X (and Windows) install, apps install, etc. Yes it takes longer but it helps me get rid of some old crud instead of transferring it to my new hard drive.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Winclone is outstanding and does a great job. If the Windows partition size is changing just use the option that allows resizing. You will need enough space to do the clone on a separate drive and then take that file and restore to your new partition.

Unlike Superduper you can't use Winclone to copy directly from one partition to another.

Cheers,

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I started with a 200GB 5400RPM and upgraded to 320GB 7200RPM. I used winclone for my windows partition. Did the cloning overnight cause it was pretty long for me (My partition is 120GB so.. ya)

7. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

Darth, you do make a good point. I might actually consider that, Although how would I go about getting all the updates for OSX, I have the original install disk for 10.5 and well is there an update that you run once and it updates it all. vrs downloading each one and so on. Although i do not want to loose my prefs, and mail and all, so it might not be that great of an idea for me.

8. ilovebananas macrumors member

Do as Darth said. Pop the old drive in an external enclosure, then use migration assistant on the new mac to bring across all the stuff you want (including mail accounts, contents and preferences).
    Also if you download the 10.5.4 combo updater that will take Leopard to the latest version in one go. It won't do all the other downloads you need (ilife, security, itunes, quicktime....).
    Personally I use software update to find what updates I need on my mac and then I go to Apple/Support/Downloads and get them manually that I then keep on an external drive/DVD to save downloading again if I need to do a restore. It takes time to start with but so long as you keep uptodate then it is simple.

9. jnagel macrumors newbie

I'm looking to upgrade to a 320GB 7200RPM as well. Is Seagate still the brand of choice? My original Seagate 120GB 5400RPM failed and I replaced it with the same model and have been using it for about 9 months now.

How much did you pay for the 320GB? Newegg has it for $170, but I was hoping to find it cheaper.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I got it for 169 from a local store that was on sale.

11. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

I got mine from OWC (other world Computing) for 209.00 it also comes with the case for my old drive and cables and all its firwire 800 and usb 2.0.

12. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I used a WD 320GB 5400RPM unit. Was not too difficult and it's been working like a champ.

13. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

Well i would love to have gotten the 5400, but in my line of business i really need a 7200 actually i really wanted a 10000 but thats not available and it would cost a small fortune.

14. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

A 320 WD 5400 for me also.

So why do you need the 7200 over the 5400?

15. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

I record music and a 5400 just would not cut it.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've upgrade my HDD twice; first to 320GB and then to the 500GB. Whatever comes next, I'll be upgrade to it, because I'm running out of space. After iTunes 8 came out with the HD stuff, my last purchase cost me a whopping 65GB in disk space.

Winclone wouldn't clone my Windows partition, so I just reinstalled everything myself.

17. jnagel macrumors newbie

So Newegg has the 7200rpm 320GB Seagate for $129, so I'm getting really close to making this upgrade happen. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced external enclosure that will support a 2.5" 320gb disk? I need it to clone my current drive

18. vm7118 macrumors regular

19. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

Well its the same thing i got but i paid a little more for it. go figure. LOL . I should get it on monday and well then i will try to make up my mind on how to do this. (fresh install or clone) I cannot make up my mind. There are good points for both arguments.

20. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

21. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I got the drive and used super duper to clone my mac side, then used winclone to make an image of the xp partition. But here is my problem. Do i need to make a partition on the new drive. When i pull up winclone and try to restore the image the the new drive it will not let me make a partition. It says its not a windows drive. well ofcourse its not. i thought winclone made that. anyone know.

22. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Use Bootcamp to create the Windows partition. Then you can use Winclone so long as the partition is the same size or you used the winclone (able to resize partition) option when you created the clone.

Cheers,

23. ginger.al@gmail macrumors newbie

I have the same problem as you. I see a space between the keyboard part and the metal above the superdrive. It's really bothering me. =/