Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallstreetcrash

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
New York
My WD Black Scorpio was clicking too, but there is a way to eleminate that:
http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/

I just put a Scorpio Black 320GB in my MacBook Pro, and the thing is almost dead silent (aside from the typical quiet "fan-like" sound the drive makes). It's actually quieter than my old 7K200 Hitachi 200GB 7200rpm drive, and I very rarely hear it seek.

Whoever got the clicking drive needs to get it replaced...

My 500GB Scorpio is getting this clicking after about 10hrs of use. It doesn't happen when a lot of processes are running, mainly when its idle. it just keeps parking its head, getting annoying!

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
My 500GB Scorpio is getting this clicking after about 10hrs of use. It doesn't happen when a lot of processes are running, mainly when its idle. it just keeps parking its head, getting annoying!

I think maybe WilliamG is right on this when he says "clicking drive...[should be] replaced." So you might consider it, especially if it is bugging you.

Crazy to say, but the price of these has dropped SO much, it might even be worth the expense of just buying another.

I threw a 320GB Scorpio black into my MBP about 2 months. No clicking, ever. And I run my machine probably 15 hours a day (after 20 years and 20 machines, this 1-year-old MBP is the best computer I ever bought, a Rolls-Royce and farm workhorse all rolled into one).

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn

wallstreetcrash, just thought of something else you could try (much cheaper):

System Preferences
Hardware
Energy Saver
Optimization: Custom
Turn OFF "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"

Since you only get the clicking when it's parking when no apps are running, just let it run all the time.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I have a 6 year old Dell Inspiron 8200 (Don't hold it against me.. I had not seen the light yet..) and it clicked from day 1.. Still running perfectly on the same hard disk. I seriously doubt this clicking is anything to be concerned about other than the audible annoyance.

wallstreetcrash

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
New York
wallstreetcrash, just thought of something else you could try (much cheaper):

System Preferences
Hardware
Energy Saver
Optimization: Custom
Turn OFF "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"

Since you only get the clicking when it's parking when no apps are running, just let it run all the time.
Yeah I tried that... same thing happens still :(

I think maybe WilliamG is right on this when he says "clicking drive...[should be] replaced." So you might consider it, especially if it is bugging you.

Crazy to say, but the price of these has dropped SO much, it might even be worth the expense of just buying another.

I threw a 320GB Scorpio black into my MBP about 2 months. No clicking, ever. And I run my machine probably 15 hours a day (after 20 years and 20 machines, this 1-year-old MBP is the best computer I ever bought, a Rolls-Royce and farm workhorse all rolled into one).

I only got it two days ago, so I can get a refund I hope. What do I tell my online retailer... it will be hard to prove I guess.

wallstreetcrash

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
New York
just leave the computer on overnight, get a tape recorder or use the computers inbuilt mic and record it! im sure that will help your cause out :p

Cool might try that.

How do I go about leaving the computer on all night... won't it just go to sleep due to inactivity? (My first Mac OSX)

Thanks

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Cool might try that.

How do I go about leaving the computer on all night... won't it just go to sleep due to inactivity? (My first Mac OSX)

Thanks

haha you can disable sleep in the System preferences> Energy Saver.

set 'put the computer to sleep when its inactive for:' as "never"

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 41

automatickyle

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Montana
I posted this in another thread here as well, but wanted to also post it here because this seemed to be a popular thread about upgrading hard drives. Here it is:
" have been searching for a clear way to do it, but have not found the exact answer. I just received my new 500GB Seagate Momentus to put into my Macbook Pro 15" 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo. I have put it in the OWC Mercury first to prepare the drive, but this is where I am running into some confusion. I know I need to format the drive but what exactly do I need to select in Disk Utility to do this? This drive will be replacing my current internal drive so I know that it needs to be Mac OS Extended Journal, but no more than this. Also, I am going to be doing a complete fresh install of the OS X 10.5 instead of cloning my current drive. What would be the best way to do this so I can get I can just pop it in the computer and be ready to go?

Also, I am saving all my music, pics, documents, etc over to an external right now so I can move them back once the new drive is in, but what other tips and things should I look for to move over as well such as applications, bookmarks, ical, etc.

Thanks again and I know these are probably very easy things to do, but I just want to make sure they are done correctly."

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
You need to ensure that you partition it as a GUID Partition Table then format as mac extended format. Especially on intel macs.

I have a 500gb M6 drive in my MBP and it is silent compared to my 400gb wd blue drive.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I posted this in another thread here as well, but wanted to also post it here because this seemed to be a popular thread about upgrading hard drives. Here it is:
" have been searching for a clear way to do it, but have not found the exact answer. I just received my new 500GB Seagate Momentus to put into my Macbook Pro 15" 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo. I have put it in the OWC Mercury first to prepare the drive, but this is where I am running into some confusion. I know I need to format the drive but what exactly do I need to select in Disk Utility to do this? This drive will be replacing my current internal drive so I know that it needs to be Mac OS Extended Journal, but no more than this. Also, I am going to be doing a complete fresh install of the OS X 10.5 instead of cloning my current drive. What would be the best way to do this so I can get I can just pop it in the computer and be ready to go?

Also, I am saving all my music, pics, documents, etc over to an external right now so I can move them back once the new drive is in, but what other tips and things should I look for to move over as well such as applications, bookmarks, ical, etc.

Thanks again and I know these are probably very easy things to do, but I just want to make sure they are done correctly."

hey auto, i have an identical MBP to you, so the steps would be no different from what i say here.

firstly may i mention a different method of copying your data across?? i would recommend using Time Machine to make a backup onto your external HD, i find Time machine to be very reliable and the easiest way possible to use. it is so simple, it will even allow for a fresh install. once it installs it will copy across all your user data, photos, music etc across. it even copies backgrounds, security settings.. EVERYTHING! i guess that could be a bad thing if you want to start all over again, if not then just do it the way you were originally thinking.

ok so 1st: install your hard drive, its fairly precise but easy enough to do.
2nd: boot up with the Leopard DVD in, load the DVD..
3rd: choose disk utility up the top (easy enough haha).
4th: select the HD, (465.8GB or whatever it is) and hit the "Erase" tab inside the window.
Volume Format: "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is what i use, you could probably use the "Case- Sensitive, Journaled) version if you wish. it doesnt really matter there is no real effect on you.
Name: will clearly be whatever you want it to be.

that is pretty much it, after that you install Leopard as you normally would. (if you choose to follow my Time Machine method there is an option in the install process that lets you choose to restore from a backup.)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200RPM, use the stock 250 5400RPM drive as a Time Machien Drive. Will probably get a 500GB 7200RPM drive by the end of the year though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.