Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I don't because I'm only 16 years old. There are still several other people in high school that do drink. I was talking with a friend today about how he still felt hung over from the night before. :eek:

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
I don't because I'm only 16 years old. There are still several other people in high school that do drink. I was talking with a friend today about how he still felt hung over from the night before. :eek:

Very different culture in the UK I think.

I would say a majority of people aged 16/17 in the UK drink.. maybe only a small majority, 55% or something.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007

I would say a majority of people aged 16/17 in the UK drink.. maybe only a small majority, 55% or something.

Depends on area nearly all 16/17 year olds where I live drink, I know this as I'm part of them:D.

Retired
May 16, 2006

From my experience, its more like 80-90%, and 70% drink a lot quite often.

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Funny story to go along with my post. I don't drink and never have (I'm 52)

I had some friends over who drink so I went to the Liquor store to buy them some beer. I didn't know how many bottles to buy as I was not sure how much they would drink. I figured its better to buy more and have a few left over for the next time a drinker comes over.

I asked the clerk at the store " How long does beer last in the fridge?" He looked at me blankly and said " I have been working here for 10 years and no one ever asked me that question" I just honestly wanted to know how long it could last in the fridge. I guess most people don't ever have to worry about longevity of their beer :)

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
" How long does beer last in the fridge?"

Around here, if it's in the fridge, it's a good as dead already.

cheers_11982.gif

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I started really drinking when I was 14. They call me a late bloomer. Age has nothing to do with drinking, it's just that someday you will have a beer and go "Hey, this stuff isn't bad..." - a couple of months later you'll be living off it.

Talking about feeling hung over from the night before is all I hear on mondays, and I go to a 'proper' school (in theory). I'm not saying I don't do it myself from time to time, but there's something about this getting-completely-wasted-every-weekend that doesn't look good to me.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't drink at all but heres a question I don't think has been brought up. Perhaps it's just that most people I know that are the nice looking girls, drink. But question to you know many of you non drinkers commonly hook up with good looking girls as opposed to the ones who do drink?

Also how many of those girls do you know that don't?

It's more so just a general question cause from what I've noticed that seems to be how it is, atleast around here.

I don't go in for any of that. I met my now-girlfriend on the first day of college. 2 months later we were going out. Alcohol played no part in it and all these "pretty girls" were met at college, university, doing photography...

It's rather uncreative, and slightly worrying if this is a popular view, that you need to drink to meet "pretty girls". Better still I'd rather find a stimulating "pretty girl" who doesn't need to drink to meet other people.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I didn't start drinking until my mid 20's, for a variety of reasons. Foremost among them is that I have an allergy (or enzyme deficiency) in relation to alcohol.

Too much (or the wrong stuff) and I glow red like the sun (and feel about as hot).

Luckily - this helps me keep my drinking in check. For example, I have a scar on my wrist which is one of the first things to light up from drinking. I see it, and know to cut back or stop for a while...it all seems very "Logans Run" to me.

Otherwise, I find drinking an excellent social lubricant.

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't go in for any of that. I met my now-girlfriend on the first day of college. 2 months later we were going out. Alcohol played no part in it and all these "pretty girls" were met at college, university, doing photography...

It's rather uncreative, and slightly worrying if this is a popular view, that you need to drink to meet "pretty girls". Better still I'd rather find a stimulating "pretty girl" who doesn't need to drink to meet other people.

Well I wasn't saying it was true, I was just wondering from my impression of it. I know many good looking girls and I talk to lots of them there's no issue in that. However most of them do drink, and quite a few of them drink excessively. Now I've met a few who don't but that's a rarity. Just looking for the opinions of what other people have observed and not saying that is in fact how I feel it is.

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
I started really drinking when I was 14. They call me a late bloomer. Age has nothing to do with drinking, it's just that someday you will have a beer and go "Hey, this stuff isn't bad..." - a couple of months later you'll be living off it.

i dont get what youre saying at all.. and i can name a couple things that age has to do with drinking.. THE LAW is one thats just at the top of my head

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
I don't drink at all but heres a question I don't think has been brought up. Perhaps it's just that most people I know that are the nice looking girls, drink. But question to you know many of you non drinkers commonly hook up with good looking girls as opposed to the ones who do drink?

Well, I don't drink and I'm not hooked up with a good looking girl, as opposed to my friends who drink. I guess the common opinion is that you can't have fun with someone who doesn't drink. :(

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I saw this one twice but let it go at first. Cannabis is fine and probably better than alcohol in the short run and probably the long run. (Have fun going Corporate) But LSD: Watch yourself, you must be young and haven't seen the long term effects. A few times in your youth you will be OK. But, have you ever known a long term (< 1year) LSD dealer? There is a reason for that. It really changes you after a while. I have had really smart friends loose their intelligence and entire personality from over exposure! I don't want to hijack the thread but just don't think of that on the same level as drinking!

I know plenty of people who've done acid for years and are as together as they've ever been, though in the states and to some degree over here what's sold as acid all too often isn't and is in fact a DOx family psychedelic substituted amphetamine like DOI or DOB, the dose is small enough to fit on a blotter so people rarely suspect. The safety profile of these chemicals has never properly been researched.

If anything acid makes you an exaggerated version of yourself, for some people that can be stable but if you have mental problems to start with then it won't send you in good directions, it certainly does not make people "loose their intelligence".

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Nope... Never... Don't drink at all...

Oh, wait, what's that on my desk? How'd that get there? O.K., who's messing with me????

Me, I like the Long Island Ice Tea. About 6 or 7 of those, and I'm good :D

Well, make that 10 or 20 if they come from one of those water bars.

For those that don't know, it's one part of just about everything to make one of those.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Although I don't strictly not drink, I very rarely do.

Just sort of got over it, doesn't really interest me. The drunk feeling during being drunk quickly passes being fun, and the aftermath certainly isn't any fun at all.

I'll happily have a drink, but I'm certainly not part of binge drinking britain.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Although I don't strictly not drink, I very rarely do.

Just sort of got over it, doesn't really interest me. The drunk feeling during being drunk quickly passes being fun, and the aftermath certainly isn't any fun at all.

I'll happily have a drink, but I'm certainly not part of binge drinking britain.

Yes, it is much more fun when you don't over do it.

I've got an exceptionally high tolerance. So, I can really only get drunk if I really, really try. Otherwise, I just get relaxed. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've been drunk. Of course, depending on how much you've had to drink, one hand could have 10 or 15 fingers :D Just kidding :cool:

But, I do have a drink pretty regularly. I just don't drink to the point of being drunk. But, then with my tolerance, I couldn't afford that anyway.

On average, I'll usually just have something after I put the kids to bed and kind of unwind and relax from the day.

If you saw the things I see every day, you'd want something to relax with also. Just minutes ago I was cleaning an exceptionally nasty diaper from one, and puke coming out the other (simultaneously), and that was actually pretty mild for life around here. Didn't even lose my appetite.

Well, I don't drink and I'm not hooked up with a good looking girl, as opposed to my friends who drink. I guess the common opinion is that you can't have fun with someone who doesn't drink. :(

Nah, you don't have to drink to get a good girl. Just need to relax once in a while and show them that you can be fun.

Some people do stupid things because they're drunk. Others do stupid things because they feel like it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.