Who here doesn't drink any alcohol?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by princealfie, Apr 23, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Okay, just wondering whether anyone here doesn't drink alcohol at all. I don't except when I cook meals I use alcohol in the recipe :D

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

4. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

6. masterapple04 macrumors regular

I'm one of the few college students that thinks drinking just to get drunk is possibly the most moronic of all activities.

Hence, I don't drink.

7. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Weird, my lie detector just sounded resoundly. I tried turning it off and turning it back on again, but it just kept going off.

Me? I don't drink- I'm underage. ;)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What about drinking but not getting completely smashed? You can go out, have a 2, 3, 4, or even 5 drinks, and just leave it at that.

I enjoy drinking, so I find it hard to stop.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

You've got the batteries in backwards!!:rolleyes:

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I can not stand the taste of alcohol. Wine, beer, mixed drinks, it does not matter. Take the alcohol out and I might like it...

11. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I don't drink cider, that's my one drinking rule which must never be broken.

13. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Oi! I knew there was something wrong- you'd never lie. :rolleyes: :p

14. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Drinking for the sole purpose of getting drunk I think is silly, but that doesn't mean that I won't drink because I enjoy the taste. I didn't start drinking until after I was of legal age, and I don't drink myself into oblivion.

I find that there are many subtleties and complexities in things like wine, scotch, and bourbon that make it well worth investing the time and money necessary to gain a true appreciation for the craftsmanship of the drink. Yes, each of those drink are an acquired taste, but they're tastes worth acquiring, IMO; and I don't drink to get stumbling drunk, I drink because I enjoy it.

Of course I have the utmost respect for anyone who doesn't drink, especially when everyone around you does whatever they can to force it down your throat (college, what?).

15. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I used to think that. But people don't always drink to get drunk. Sometimes an evening just starts out with a few beers/shots and escalates. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

16. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I don't remember when I didn't have a drink within a week period. :eek:

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't drink. I'm actually in a very strange scenario. None of my mates drink either, or Caroline.

Just don't see the point of wanting to stop the mind from working properly. I had to switch Hayfever medicine for that reason too!

18. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I avoided drink until I was of legal age, and even then didn't have much interest. Then, on a suggestion from a friend (and fellow editor), I tried a rum and coke late in my senior year of college one night on a whim when I was stressed out after nearly 12 hours of continuous editing on my capstone class movie... It was tasty! And fun!

I don't drink to get drunk, and I don't drink often. I drink socially with friends maybe once a month (if that), and I've never gotten stumbling/falling-down drunk. I always sober up before going to bed and drink lots of water so I avoid hangovers. So, on the one hand, I understand people who avoid it (certainly I have a lot of respect for those who avoid it until they're of legal age, which seems to happen less and less in this country), but I also think that those who decide it's the ultimate evil are probably misguided. There are tasty alcoholic drinks and times when drinking a little is no big deal, and can even be fun, as long as you drink responsibly.

I do agree that the typical college party scene is no fun though, and I avoided that for all four years of college 'cause I had no interest. Drinks with a small group of friends = awesome. Drinking too much with a bunch of strangers = not so much.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, many people don't "plan" to get wasted. It just happens. Sometimes the full affect of the alcohol doesn't kick in for awhile, so it's not really fair to say that those people are stupid. They just had too many drinks within the period of time in which the alcohol hasn't kicked in yet.

20. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a beer/hard cider/glass of wine maybe once a month, or every other month at most. Really I hardly drink at all anymore.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm another college student that absolutely hates drinking. It's dumb, and there is no way that stuff can actually taste good. Alcohol is the worst smelling drink in the world. When I used to work at a gas station, I would always hate cleaning up after the drunk people that dropped bottles of beer on the floor, especially if it was the beginning of my shift. I'd smell terrible the rest of the day.

A big reason I don't drink as well. I'm glad to see there are some people (though we're probably an extreme minority) that also don't drink. All of my friends at University are into getting drunk. :rolleyes:

22. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

don't drink. for some reason, even get nearing the stuff makes me sick, it's like the smell of beer makes me nauseous at times. i have used wine a couple times in cooking, but that's it. i try to stay at least 5 feet from alcoholic beverages at all times...they turn into trouble.

and on a second note, it seems like we're seeing lots of teens and young adults drinking more than ever...sometimes i feel like i'm the only one that doesn't drink at all (i'm 21 btw). i blame too many beer endorsements in sports that make it seem like beer is this magical elixir. i would scale beer ads way back, i think that would cut the amount of drinking we see now.

23. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

When you have things like Coors field, it makes me doubt the beer adverts will end.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I actually like the smell of wine, white or red. I cannot stand the smell of beer, just smells like a dirty field and all those spirits smell hideous.