Who here has a perfect rMBP with no issues and didn't return so far.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FatGuy007, Aug 11, 2012.

?

Are you happy with your MBPr?

1. I LOVE IT. No issues so far

224 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. Few dead pixels but still loving it.

6 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Backlight bleeding, dead pixels, spots, or burn ins. Planning on getting another one.

28 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Returned it 2+ times, I hate that machine and never buying it again.

20 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

There is a lot of pessimism in the forums how MBPr has backlight bleeding, many dead pixels, yellow screen. I would just like to give a heads up to the people who are going to buy it, you probably have 3-2/10 chance of getting any of those problems.
    So people, is your display glorious, dead pixel free, and vibrant? And didn't return any.
    Because I can see people worried to buy it by just looking at this forum.
    As like me, I am getting my rMBP today and going overseas tomorrow having no time to open it. So I just hope no issues.

2. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

You should make a poll to see how many happy rMBP owners there are vs defective owners

3. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn! I can't add a poll once submit. Should i create another?
    Edit: nvm :)

4. swamyg1 macrumors regular

5 or 6 days here and no issues so far, love it!

5. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

Same here. I'm keeping a very close eye on things; if I discover any problems in the first two weeks I'll be taking it back - this is more money than I can afford to spend on anything less than perfect. So far, it's perfect. :)

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I bought a 2.3 Base from an authorised retailer here in Malaysia; the system has no issues cosmetically, functionally, or with software, and the display is simply fabulous. Very pleased with the package as a whole, upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion was seamless and improved the fluidity of the GUI. As i brought the system up loading app`s and data never encountered a problem.

I simply disregarded all the negative posts here; some are genuinely valid, however I do believe that many are just blown out of proportion. If your system works for you in the scope of your normal workflow there is no issue, however if you a have to replicate a fault by sitting in a completely blacked out room, looking for display issues with a magnifying glass, scrolling through poorly written graphically complex sites as fast as humanly possible, randomly zooming in and out at high speed, spending hours looking at the display at oblique angles - you might want to spend a little time looking at yourself, as there`s more to life trust me ;)

The Retina is not perfect and wont work for everyone, however it does successfully make the "step change" between the Unibody MBP and the "Next Generation" MBP and in principle it delivers what Apple promised, at the cost of user upgrade of RAM & standard SSD, you either live with this or don`t, the standard Unibody is still there as an option for the time being.

I have the best of both worlds with a Retina, a Late 2011 15" 2.4 i7 and a Early 2008 15" 2.4 Penryn, equally if I had to make a choice of one it would be the Retina. Bottom line is the Retina is like all other computers a tool, if you select the right one for your purpose working with the system will be a pleasure.

Enjoy your new Retina, forget about all the nonsense here, if it works for you thats all that matters, not the opinion of someone who may only have spent five minutes at the Apple store before making their expert analysis of Apple`s latest offering :p

7. FatGuy007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Who would really get pissed off by getting retina display, I really see no cons.

And already judging by this poll, i feel better now by getting a MBPr

8. samanuel, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

samanuel macrumors newbie

mbpr

returned mine three times. and now even my fourth one has a defect. first one had loose screw or something somewhere in the right speaker or fan department. second one faulty intel graphics card, third, problems with wifi and static screen and the last one makes cracking/squeaking sounds when grabbed around the left speaker from underneath. I think I must be the unluckiest person in the world. apart from that and the little laggy UI this laptop is really great. just wish I could get one that works properly

9. eeptman macrumors member

Got my base-model rMBP on late June with IR issue, then the Genius replaced another one to me. Unfortunately, IR issue happened again after one month usage.

I probably would not look back for this generation of rMBP. Pricy and poor quality. In addition, I can identify some unknown UI lag(esp. transition effect lag of Mission Control) while only opening several applications, i.e. Safari, Mail, Papers, Skim, Previews, iTunes under OS X ML.

Though, the display is gorgeous, the IR and UI lag issue totally block me out.

10. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i have ghosting, but it doesnt really bother me much. i mean, it only shows on backgrounds.

11. Yorptunes macrumors newbie

Rmbp

Three weeks in mail ordered. Not one complaint. Still amazed by it everytime i turn it on.:D

12. petereoin macrumors member

Purchased the 2.3/16/256 model, delivered early August.

I have conducted preliminary tests (light bleeding, dead pixels, etc.)
    My screen is a Samsung, with no issues what so ever.

Upgraded to ML with no issues.

I am a sports photographer and made my purchase decision based upon several factors:
    The need for performance while run applications (Photoshop, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic) to edit and send photos via ftp to my clients while onsite at sporting events.

Portability is another factor, so the reduced weight was something I was looking for. I did initially review the macbook air, but it did not meet all of my needs.

Lastly, is the way the retina display renders photos to as close to the actual colours captured within my camera.

I am currently a happy consumer :)

13. Splazzatch macrumors member

Splazzatch

Mine is beautiful! I love it. No dead pixels, no problems at all. I have had it for two weeks and it is perfect.

turns on in under 12 seconds. Turns off in 3 seconds.

Faster than anything I have ever owned/experienced.

the upgrade to ML went perfectly, took about 30minutes.

Other than the cost I would recommend it to everyone!

14. Doggonit macrumors regular

I didn't just get one perfect rMBP, but in fact TWO (I ordered two, got two, both are perfect).

15. zainiak, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

zainiak macrumors regular

The second day I had mine, my screen developed HORRIBLE ghosting. The rest of it was perfect though. i sent it to apple last week and should be getting it back wednesday

16. Queen6, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I don't want to get into it too much, however i do believe the pricing of the Retina is part of the issue and no doubt burning some. The Retina is an expensive machine, you are paying for the technology, the Apple overhead, the design etc. In reality the pricing is virtually the same as the 06/07 systems once adjusted for inflation, this to some extent may drive some to be overly negative for obvious reasons.

The display and GUI look to be the favourites at present; Some high end display`s can cost as much as half the price of a Retina with some significantly more, so the quality of the display has to be taken into context, it is however a significant improvement on the previous standard MBP, bettering my 2011 & 2008 MBP`s by a good margin, these being far more realistic benchmarks.

GUI is too problematic everyone has differing software loaded, some upgrade, some migrate, some do a complete clean install, some install from Time Machine, some have endless utility apps tagged into the OS, some have no end of pirate apps with whatever tagging along. From my experience using best for Retina i observed very few issues, i only have what i need installed and i pay for it, equally i am not trying to force graphical anomaly i just use my Retina same as my Late 2011 15" MBP and get on with business.

I have been through several iterations of Apple portable and they get better year on year culminating with the Retina, once again it`s not perfect it is however a step in the right direction. Those that own one wont be disappointed unless there is actual defect and Apple are obliged to correct or replace, those that just want to denigrate the Retina will do so, it`s just a question of "separating the wheat from the chaff"

17. Youngesttim macrumors newbie

Youngesttim

Very pleased with rMBP

Base model, can't find any problems. Apple Care has been outstanding with my refurbished 2010 17" MBP, and I love that machine still...

The rMBP is a great value, buying Apple Care provides peace of mind...

18. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

No issues. Absolutely fine. Perfect screen. It's all fantastic.

19. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

After reading all of these complaints and issues with the screen , this poll has really shown great results on the rMBP :) Glad that most people are happy with their item!

20. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I have the entry level rMBP with 16 GB memory. Very happy so far, no issues. By looking at the sample in the poll, and the amount of whining in the forums, it seems the majority of the complaints come from a small minority.

21. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Mine is pretty damn near perfect. What I once thought was a color uniformity problem turned out to just be a known side-effect of the A-TW polarizer. IMO the benefit outweighed the minor side effect.

Only issue I have with it is the USB 3.0 support. My USB3 flash drive works perfectly, but my USB3 HDD does not (but both drives work perfectly fine on Windows machines).

Oh and I wish EFI booting Windows was officially supported.

22. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

what model u gonna get

overseas? just order it online free ship

----------

how come u didnt spend the extra 100 for the 2.6ghz option?

23. appleisgod macrumors regular

This Kid

But at the same time I don't go searching for issues like some of the other people on these forums.