Who here uses their MBP as their main computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by underblu, Apr 27, 2010.

?

Do you use your MBP as your main computer

1. I use my MBP as my main rig

438 vote(s)
    87.3%
  2. I use my desktop as my main rig

64 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. underblu macrumors regular

As soon as I set up a DAW on my new MBP, I'll have little reason to fireup my desktop. In fact this 17" hires screen on my MBP is sharper and nicer than the 24" Samsung connected to my desktop.

So who else is using their MBP as their main rig. And if it is your main rig are you using any additional peripherals like a monitor mouse or keyboard

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

I voted for the MBP, but was your question aimed at people with both a MBP and a desktop? I only have the one. :)

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

When I leave town for work, there are two things I ALWAYS fly with. My iPhone and my 13" MacBook Pro.

My MacBook Pro is my main and I've had a 13" Apple portable as a main since my white MacBook in 2007. Not one single problem.

At home, I often hook it up to my 46" LCD TV, but that's just to watch movies in hi-def.

I drag it everywhere I go. It's just astounding the performance I can get in such a compact machine with such battery life.

I may never go back to a desktop :D

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

My 13" MBP is my main work computer. Beats the hell out of working on a clunky WinXP dual processor dual core workstation. I do have the MBP connected to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse most of the time though.

At home I mostly use my desktop PC "Hackintosh".

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Buddy, I'm right there with ya. I've had two Windows laptops before my Mac, and they weren't exciting at all. I usually just left them tucked just under my bed so I could browse in bed now and then.

Now with my Mac, I carry it everywhere and am constantly trying to find things to do with it :D

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use my desktop whenever possible; for important things (like video encoding), my desktop is 6x faster—for example if I were to export an hour scene, it would take maybe 5 hours on the notebook, but only an hour on the desktop. That's a lot of time lost waiting for the notebook.

For other things, it's easier to multitask when my desktop is much faster.

7. DoorMouse macrumors member

I use my 13" MBP as my main computer...but i don't have anything else! I've gotten so used to it that even when I go home to stay with my parents I still use my laptop over the imac- its just easier- you can have it in the living room, bed or on your desk. :)

I haven't used a monitor in the past, however I'm spending much more time on the computer now since i'm writing my honours thesis, so I'm thinking of getting a monitor soon...would love the 24" Apple Display but not sure if I can justify spending that much money on it, so I'll probably get something a bit cheaper.

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I went from a self built dual LCD screen, dual Xeon workstation with Quadro graphics and SCSI Ultra320 Raid to my MacBook Pro.
    I hardly ever used the power of my machine and was going to do 3d animation as a hobby but never got round to it lol.
    So when I made the switch to Mac I did look at the Mac Pro but thought what's the point? I'll never use it's power, so I went down the laptop route and haven't looked back.
    I can take my entire computer anywhere I go! And it's more environmentally friendly as it uses less power.
    The only peripheral I have is my mouse.

9. m7ammed macrumors regular

Well I will buy mine next week and its going to be my main rig :D:cool:

10. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

My MBP is my main (and only) computer. I have a FreeBSD server for mail/file/http, but it doesn't have a keyboard&screen. And it's much slower.

11. saxman macrumors 6502

My 13" MPB is my main computer. Until last week, my main computer was a 12" powerbook that I had for the last 6 years. I have a windows box at work that I rarely even turn on

12. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Before i used to use my desktop as my main computer , but now with today's portable technology , laptops are getting really good hardware spec's. So Got myself a Sony Vaio HD screen with i7 for my windows needs and a macbook pro 17 i7 for my mac needs :D

LAPTOPS FTW ! :p

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yeah! I remember, years ago, when you wanted to buy a laptop you sacrificed a LOT of money and capabilities. Back then, laptops were more of a drastic option for people that needed portability more than convenience and performance.

Today, laptops dominate the market. Though it's a bit sad, sooo many people would be happier with a pad or something similar because they ONLY browse the internet and email. It would be like giving me a massive IBM load server when all I need is my Core 2 Duo.

14. crh3ff macrumors member

me too.

13" MBP, just upgraded from a white 2006 MB which was also my primary computer. I have a computer at the office that I can use while there, but rarely due...the portability of this one is ideal, and now that it's got the huge battery life (I'm getting easily 7-8 hours of daily use out of it), it's even better.

15. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Both my wife and I use a MBP as our main. No extra's, but I some times use the mighty mouse for FCE4

16. wakemac macrumors member

My 13" is my main for both work and home. Use it with a 24" external monitor and a stand in the office so I have dual screen use. No problems at all, though next time around I may go for a 15" or even 17" as I am not traveling as much as I used to.

17. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I don't see a choice for me, as I use another laptop as the main rig. Lenovo Thinkpad x301 for school etc. The MBP comes out for fun :D

18. Sequin macrumors regular

I don't have a MBP yet, but as a college student it's just easier to have a laptop as my main computer. I can't exactly take my desktop around campus with me.

19. iPunk macrumors member

I built a cheapo gaming rig last summer to realize I don't really game anymore, so now I use my mbp only.

20. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yep I use it as my main rig, and it's attached to an external display w/ a bluetooth keyboard + mouse.

21. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I Use my 15" Aluminum MBP as my main computer. In the office i hook it up to my LED Cinema external monitor. It's awesome!!

22. Josh.C.123 macrumors member

had an external monitor but the mbp screen is a lot better. bought a magic mouse and the i7 mbp is all i use!

23. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

ive had laptops for about 8 yrs now, 2 macbooks and 2 mbps. never once have i thought about getting a desktop! love my new 17" i5 mbp, i have a magic mouse too but only use it occasionally. :)

24. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

I also use my new MacBook Pro 13 as my main rig. I have no regrets, its a powerful computer for my needs and I love how durable and light it is to carry around. I use to have a windows desktop computer but it took up so much space. Gave me a lot of problems too.

I love my new mac! :D