Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use your MBP as your main computer

• I use my MBP as my main rig

Votes: 438 87.3%
  • I use my desktop as my main rig

Votes: 64 12.7%

• Total voters

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Just bought the i5 which is currently now my main computer..
have a T61 for trips, although considering retiring this as the battery is complete garbage compared to the mbp
and a dell desktop hooked up to a 42" TV as my media computer

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
My MBP is my only computer and has been my main for the last year and a half. I have an external monitor, HDD and magic mouse

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I have both and find myself using the MBP 99% of the time. The battery life's great, and I can use it anywhere, which means I'm usually rather slouched in the couch with it than sitting upright at my desktop machine.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been using a laptop as my sole computer now for a number of years and I have little regrets but with that said. I'm now looking to get a desktop for my next machine. I want a faster computer for less $$. My MBP will still be hanging around,i.e., not selling it so having a desktop makes sense.

I'm having performance issues with some of the software I'm using.

jimba

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Wtf else am I supposed to do with 2000$ of laptop? You bet I'm using this as my main :D

wilsonhaven

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
I use my MBP 15 for everything. When I need Visio, I boot up an XP VM under Fusion. It's a beautiful world ...

Tim018

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009
my mbp is my main computer...but if i had the money for a i7 imac or something it would definitely be my main computer, but thats not to say my mbp is slow either :)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Gave up desktops. Sometimes I think about a mini and an iPad, though. A nice big screen for proper sit-down work and an iPad for wandering around, or just maybe an iPhone when there is AT&T reception around here.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Absolutely! I'm a UK university student and my 13" MBP goes with me everywhere. Perfect size, speed and battery life.

I have no issue working with just a 13" screen. Before the MBP was a MB. Before that a 15" Dell. Before that a desktop with 15" monitor... so I really don't miss the space until I use the university's iMacs.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
I use my 13" as my main computer. In my household, my MacBook Pro, 2 HP laptop and a Compaq Presario desktop. The HP laptops are my brothers, and the Presario was my main computer before, now I just use the desktop for downloading stuff and storage.

Wtf else am I supposed to do with 2000$ of laptop? You bet I'm using this as my main :D

Exactly. :p

KyleKlink

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Santa Maria, Ca
my thoughts

I've been thinking about making the switch from my 27" C2D iMac to the base 15" MBP. I'd pick up a 27" ACD when they are available to use as an external monitor for the MBP.

My reasoning behind this is that I am tired of dealing with the hassle of syncing files on my iMac and my notebook. It would be nice to be able to just unplug the MBP and hit the road, taking my entire "digital existence" with me. As it stands now I have to get out a flash drive, copy the files I need, plug it into my notebook and move the files. It's a pain.

The only thing that has been holding me back with this plan is the lack of a decent external monitor for the MBP. I love the iMac display and wouldn't consider using anything with a lower resolution. With the 27" ACD coming I can make the switch to a MBP as my sole computer, providing a simple mobile solution while still retaining the "desktop feel" when I am at home.

(I should note that my computer habits require very little HD space and processing power. I think I am using about 67GB of my 1TB iMac HDD, and the most intensive work I do is image editing in PS. The i5 in the MBP would probably even be a step up for me, and the smaller HDD would be the only real downsize, and that's not an issue.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.