Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
... there is absolutely nothing, I repeat nothing, that the MacBook does better than the MacBook Air, after today's updates...

Sure it is a bit smaller, but the screen is only 12" vs. 13.3". And, you can get an i7 CPU, but "only" 7th Gen.

Reactions: vistokid

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I love the 12" display of the Macbook and the ultra-sleek design, plus I hate the Macbook Air's wedge shape.

I wouldn't buy a 12" Macbook today simply because it's current lineup was refreshed over a year ago, but whenever it gets a refresh it'd definitely be at the top of my list.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
1000% agreed. I have no idea why the Macbook is still around with the New MBA out today.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Each to their own BUT I've NEVER liked the Air and sadly don't feel anything for the new Air today. I'm quite horrified that they've kept the old name - presumably because the people that buy the Air know the name but still, very unlike Apple who always like to move forward. Also here in the UK, the 512GB is only £350 cheaper than the 512GB TB MacBook Pro which has the P3 wide colour gamut screen and is truly a better machine in every way. I'm truly confused with Apple's pricing structure here as now, all three machines are also the same price.

Certainly not for me. I love the 12" design and keyboard right up the edge design. I've had the 2015, 16 and currently 17. Will the MacBook get a new design in 2019? Will it be the first with ARM technology? Who knows, but what is certain is that the MacBook Pro seems to be the one to go for now in laptops and I'm under the impression that Apple are more excited with iPad Pro's now.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I agree there needs to be two laptop lines, the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. one focussing on size and design, and one focussing on power. Pricewise they can be close or far apart, they each fit into their own niche.

The problem is now we have three lines, and I agree, the MacBook Air needs to go. Call the new MBA what it is, a 13" MacBook, add a few CPU options, and no one would realise it is the "old" MacBook Air - if that is indeed what it is.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Fanless, much lighter and smaller. I would.

At almost 3lbs the Air looks the same as my MBP 13, although it has one sided USB-C (which sucks), and it's cheaper (doesn't suck :D )

Granted, it's thin-wedge, but the similarities stop there.

But really, this argument is just the same one as before. The MB is not a performance machine. It's a 'small, light, and quiet' machine.

Frankly, I can't believe they didn't update it. But I'm happy. I'll save some money. I just bout the phone, which was crazy :D

Note: The new Air does have a fan, you can see it on the left.

Last edited:

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
It's funny how I feel defensive as it REALLY makes me nervous that they didn't update it, and then you have these crazy negative posts like they want to bury it.

I wonder what the sales numbers are like. I don't want to be using my MB for years now. Eventually it will....fade away.

Last edited:

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
... there is absolutely nothing, I repeat nothing, that the MacBook does better than the MacBook Air, after today's updates...

Sure it is a bit smaller.....

May be trivial to you, but I didn’t really buy my MacBook for CPU horsepower. It’s my email, minor PowerPoint and web surfing machine. Tasks that frankly I’m finding my iPad Pro performing more and more. But it is still smaller than the Air. For me, smallest usable size factor makes it worth it.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
The new MBA is a nTB MacBook Pro replacement. It has nearly the same dimensions other than .25 lbs less in weight and a tapered design. In fact all 3 dimensions are pretty much identical (using the thickest point for height). Those that are on the fence between the new MBA and the MB would have been on the same fence between the MBP and the MB.

Sodium Chloride

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
The new MBA is 2.75 pounds. The old MB 12" is 2.03 pounds. The MBA is 35% heavier. Quite significant. But I am disappointed that Apple doesn’t update the 12" MB with faster processor.

Reactions: in Cider

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
The only thing I like is the Rose Gold and the 12 inch form factor. I'm sure it's going to be revamped soon and the prices with re-adjust.

HardBall

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
1000% agreed. I have no idea why the Macbook is still around with the New MBA out today.

The footprint is a huge difference.

13.3" is just borderline unusable if you have to beat the pavement every day (if you have a sales, SW consulting, regulatory, etc job). 12" and 2 lb is just far better if you have to carry it around the city all day, nothing else on the market really comes close, right now.

Don't get me wrong, the new MBA is a great machine, and will be a top seller. But I think most people on the move will prefer the 12" formfactor by far.

Reactions: KPOM and leftyMac

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I will. I was waiting for a 2018 refresh but now will have to pick 2017 model, hopefully there will be good deals on an ''older technology''.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.