Who is actively using google voice these days? What do and don't u like about it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cali4ever, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Cali4ever macrumors member

Who is actively using google voice these days? How do you like it? What do and don't u like about it?

2. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

I use it as my voicemail and sometimes I would use it to make a phone call. I love it for its uses especially being able to make phone calls on my computer. However I have it on an android phone so it works better then an iphone. Apple needs to allow google to put that app out.

3. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

I only really use it when I want to make phone calls from my computer or when I need to give a number out to someone I don't really know

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't really use it unless I want to give my number to someone I don't really know.

5. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

I used it today.

I don't usually use a cell phone. Too expensive and I don't like being tethered. Therefore I have a landline phone. I'm charged for long distance. However I can use Google Voice and have unlimited long distance use for free. I chatted with my Grand Daughter today. She lives 2500 miles away. When I travel, I add a temporary T-Mobile account and activate my cell and add the cell to Google Voice. Then I get all my calls on the road. Google Voice is great for me. I love it. Thanks Google.

6. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Google Voice in the App Store. Last updated Dec 14, 2010. I've downloaded it, but haven't used it save to see it exists, so no saying as to its quality.

I've had google voice for a few years, but haven't used it much. Like others, I find it handy for folks I don't know. I like the (somewhat accurate) voicemail > text service. I'd like to port my legacy landline number over to it--that would be a definite usage tipping point for me.

7. Cali4ever thread starter macrumors member

SO you think in the future, we can just buy a data package from att or vzw and use google voice for everything else such as calls and email and text? or is this a distant dream?

8. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

nope because google voice isn't a VOIP it requires an active telephone line.

they did last year and works well. not as good as it does on driod but it works good enough.

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Been using it's free text feature especially when my SMS usage gets close to my limit, then I switch to Google voice so I won't get any overages, of course I have to tell them to text a different number, but since my friends know about that number it works out perfectly.

10. this is funah, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

that makes sense. :confused:

11. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

i use google voice regularly.

i live in germany, with many contacts in america. lucky for me i set up the google voice while i was in america and now mainly use it to send/receive text messages and voicemails via my iphone to my american friends and family.

i added a Click2Call phone via a WhistlePhone account and can make calls for free to america from Germany (even over 3G) and it works quite well. Since upgrading to iOS 5, however, the Click2Call feature is broken due to the new notifications system and GV is now relegated to text/voicemail duties.

i love google voice. yes, they may be recording all my calls and using it for advertising, but that's a tax i'm willing to pay for such a great service thats still "free".

12. smug macrumors newbie

Nice try google.

13. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Is it a crank phone that you use to ring the operator to connect you the only other person living in Mayberry? Or is it a rotary dial?

14. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I have been using GV for texts, voicemail and for people I don't want to give my real number to. In a nutshell, works as expected / advertised.

What I like:
    - Unlimited texts
    - Transcribed voicemail

What I don't like:
    - No MMS
    - The "press 1 to connect the call" when someone calls your GV number...minor I know, but kind of annoying

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Isn't that a feature of call screening?
    You should be able to turn that off in your settings and connect directly when you answer

I use it for some things and have had no issues with it
    I have my work Blackberry forwarded to GV and then to my iPhone :)

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had it on my droidx and I didn't care for it too much.

The text transcriptions were never even close to what people were leaving. I had to listen to the recording or go to the website.

I never used the GV phone number for anything but texting my people from the GV webpage.

I like the ease and simplicity that the iPhone has for voice mail.

17. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I really wanted to use it, but can't get rid of the 1/4 - 1/2 second delay.

18. TC25 macrumors 68020

I use GV, in combination with an Obi110, as my VOIP provider at home, for free (through the end of 2011). It replaced my Vonage line.

19. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I didn't use it until I started living in Japan. The phone portion of GV is basically useless while I'm here but having a US number to send and receive SMS from people in the states is very nice.

Of course there are other apps to handle that but who knows how reliable they are or how long they will be around?

20. machacker macrumors regular

I use mine all the time. When I sell stuff on craigslist, I use google voice as the texting line and if I need to call them. Helps keep me from having to give out my cell number all the time.

Also I use the texting all the time because in some buildings on my college campus it is impossible to get cell service, because they specifically block it, but you can still access the campus wifi. This being said, I can still text everyone I want over wifi either from my computer, from my phone, or from my iPad.

That in and of itself makes it worth it to me!

21. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I'm using Groove IP from Android market and I can make VOIP google voice calls over wifi/3g in Canada. Free unlimited North American calls and text messages :D

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Google Voice isn't a VoiP service...so no

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I use it often, especially for texting. I give the number to sellers and potential buyers on Craigslist, girls that I just meet, and misc: reasons. GV makes for a great FREE second line and text. It's also been 100% reliable so far.

24. icstars989 macrumors member

This. I love my GV number. Serviceman, restaurants, anyone who I dont want to have my actual number, get my google voice number.

25. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

we use GV with OBI100 to make voip calls at the house. free calling to USA and canada. works awesome. only had to pay $40 for the device is all.

we also ported our cell numbers from AT&T contract and use google voice exclusively now. Have gophone chips in both iphones and just forward all texts/calls to the gophone line. I barely use the gophone sim much as use an app called "talkatone" that allows voip calls with GV. So when i'm on wifi at home or work or have my verizon 4G mifi i can make calls for free without using my balance on my gophone.

Alot of the time too i just reply to text from the google voice webpage instead of my phone when i'm sitting at the computer.

I have GV app on my iphone and ipad and have ability to reply to text and make calls from computer also. hopefully they don't start charging for the service soon.

only thing i can think of i don't like is no MMS messaging. but pretty much everyone i know has an iphone anyways and can just email me the pic if necessary.