Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Keeping the 5S/5C ? I plan on staying on the 5. Unless something really amazing comes with the 6.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Odds are very good that I'll be keeping my iPhone 5c. While the 6 has a lot going for it, I think the larger size will equate to a larger price tag. That's something I'm not willing to do at this point.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I got my 5s on a 3 year contract and wasn't expecting to upgrade early, but it so happens that my mother is due for an upgrade and she couldn't care less about what phone she uses, so I might just give her my 5s and use her upgrade to get a 6 for myself. I haven't really decided though. I might not bother.

A 3-year contract?!

Glad these are banned in the UK.

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
Who is keeping the 5S/5C?

I am also keeping my 5C. My upgrade is not until May 2015.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I got my 5s on a 3 year contract
Who offers 3 year contracts? I never heard of anything like this - yikes. That's a long time to be tied to a phone.

My wife's iPhone 5 is nearing the 2 year mark and her battery is really showing the affects if age. I can't imagine living with it for another year under contract.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
If the new iphone(s) tick my wants and needs boxes and bring something new under the hood and or aesthetically I will sell my iPhone 5s and pay the shortfall.

I purchase mine from my Apple Store Sim Free.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I didn't mind not upgrading to the 5 when I had a 4S, even though it was a 16GB 4S. But I swear the larger screen is making me itchy. Maybe it'll take more than that since I bought a new iPad and MacBook Air this year. I do hope the new models have the hardware to be used on the big four networks here in the U.S. so we can switch easier.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Glad to know that there are some still keeping their phone. ;)
A lot of people update with every other model usually (due to. 2-year contracts or something similar), so it's probably more common/usual that many of those with the currently latest model won't update to the very next one.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Obviously to each their own, but it really matters to you THAT much?

If space grey is the new black, are you simply never going to upgrade solely on that fact?
Yes, color matters. Since 2007 I've had a black phone. I didn't care before that, but before that we weren't using our phones for data, just talk. And we had a home phone at the time so carrying around my phone then wasn't as big a deal then as it is now.

And upgrading is not as big a deal to me as it is to others. I've done a few years out of contract on two phones before my iPhone 5 and I've been comfortable with that. And while I love Apple, there are "other" phone manufacturers out there who still make black phones, many of them in metal.

If I like what I have already and it works for me and Apple does not make something that I do like, why switch? The question in this thread was about who's staying on their current phone and who is not. Color may seem like an absurd reason to stay, but it is a reason.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I just got the 5S, so I'll be keeping it. I'm coming from the Galaxy S3, so I absolutely love the compact size of the 5S.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've told myself that I'll keep my 5S this year and not upgrade to the 6 but I have a couple of upgrades available via T-mobile and I know the iPhone 6 will be offered at "$0 down" so we'll see if I can hold out.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I plan on keeping my 5S, as I am under contract until next September and I am keeping my grandfathered plan features. Only way I might be tempted would be if the 5.5" phone happens to be true and is made of sapphire and has retina display.

But I'm among the skeptics who are not convinced that it will be released in the near future. Plus, I've been on the "S" cycle since the 3GS and I don't plan on deviating from that now. I actually prefer "S" cycle models as they seem to have better longevity and are more capable of handling future iOS updates than non "S" models.

The 3G, which technically was able to "support" iOS 4, got brought to its knees by iOS 4 whereas the 3GS was good up through iOS 6.

Likewise the 4 was technically capable of "supporting" iOS 7 but the lag times rendered the phone virtually inoperable in many instances.

Hopefully the 5/5C won't encounter similar issues of lag when running iOS 8. But time will tell.

I guess my point being that the "S" cycle phones seem to be better at handling iOS updates they are supposed to be capable of supporting than non-"S" cycle phones seem to be.

I'm good keeping my 5S and looking forward to iOS 8. If I had opted for the 5C (which I wasn't going to!) then I would be looking to upgrade, as the A6 devices won't likely run iOS 8 as smoothly nor will they be able to take advantage of all the features. By time I'm due for an upgrade, the 6S will be on the horizon and I will be ready.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I'm giving my iPhone 5s to my mom, and will upgrade myself to the iPhone 6. Not sure if I want the 4.7 or 5.5 (if it exists).

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
I'll probably be keeping my 5S for at least a while, I've been off contract with VZW because of my unlimited plan since my 4S. I ponied up and bought the 5 to get LTE and then the 5S for the touchID & small upgrades.

Would have to be something special for me to pay the premium this time around. Not too sure I want something bigger either, guess we'll see what it's like when finally releases!

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I'm planning to upgrade to a 4.7 since I got a 5c, I'll the the 5s features but even better with a bigger screen

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I have a 5 and I'll be upgrading. I do skip the "S" variants though because I don't think they're as exciting and I don't feel my phone is that outdated after only a year. The only debate for me is 4.7 or 5.5. 4.7 is my preference but if battery life is significantly better on the 5.5, I may end up going with that.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
A 3-year contract?!

Glad these are banned in the UK.
They've stopped them in Canada now too. I was lucky enough to get it just in time. That's right, you heard me. The two year contracts make you pay more in 2 years than I will pay in 3.

Having a phone for 3 years isn't the worst thing in the world, and you can always opt out early just by paying the balance on your device if you really can't wait to upgrade.

----------

Who offers 3 year contracts? I never heard of anything like this - yikes. That's a long time to be tied to a phone.

My wife's iPhone 5 is nearing the 2 year mark and her battery is really showing the affects if age. I can't imagine living with it for another year under contract.
My last phone, a 3Gs, held up just fine.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I'm not getting an iPhone 6; However, when I bought the moto x earlier this year, I kept my iphone 5 around. I initially thought about selling it, but I figured it's nice to have an extra, fully functional device for media, songs, etc. Also, I get to download certain apps not yet available on Android :)

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If the iphonr6 has better cosmetic appearance , unique functionality ( something that the 5S doesn't have such as additional sensors) and a must have new feature like the touchID was to the 5S then I'm game

iPad Air

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
SC, USA
My sole experience with smartphones has been only with Android. Currently, I own an HTC One. I'm waiting for contract to end next year with Sprint before switching my family over to Verizon. My son previously had a iPhone 4S before upgrading to a 5C last year. My daughter also has a 4S.

By the time I change mobile service, I'm debating which iPhone to get. In terms of cost, the 4S will be the most economical at zero-cost for a two-year contract. The 5C/5S should also go down in price since the iPhone 6 would be established by this point next year. However, I'm thinking the 5S would be the best way to go.

Any advice?

I have a pretty strong feeling the 4S will be discontinued this time around.

Dezmond

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
Keeping it. Bought it a few months ago because I personally don't need a bigger screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.