Who Is Paul McCartney?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Feb 13, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

2. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'll be honest, I don't seem to care about his solo stuff now but one cannot deny who he was and still is. Similar to that, it pains me to see some tool bag sing a Beach Boys song and look slightly confused about how these guys are. Like them or not, they're icons, just like Paul McCartney.

The music world is scary. The only saving grace, as far as I can see, is that Adele did well and the Foo Fighters won. However, they hand awards to men who beat women at the same time.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

Sad that they don't know that. Even sadder are the grammar skills. I know it's twitter, but srsly?? :D

EDIT: Of course, they might think I'm crazy for not knowing who that led-faced big-eared mouse thing playing what sounded like an extended electrical malfunction was. That thing was creepy.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow, that makes me feel really old, and I am FAR from it.

That said: Paul's solo stuff these days is rather crap.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had no idea who that other guy was (Dino something?).
    But to not know who Paul McCartney is... **** man. ****.

8. BEN779 macrumors 6502

BEN779

But sure enough they know who nicki Minaj is. What a disgrace.

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I saw this on Reddit earlier, and I've come to the conclusion it has to be trolling. If it isn't I weep for the future. Even if it is legit, you're already on the freakin' internet! How about typing a name into Google?

10. snberk103, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

snberk103 macrumors 603

It's not the 1st time, for Sir Paul....

Long time ago he was in a studio, with Wings, recording an album. They were having a problem with one of the transitions and called it a day so they could work on it the next day.

The next morning a (junior) recording engineer brought in an LP, and said that during evening he had been listening to music from his collection, and had heard this "cool band" solve a similar transition problem. Perhaps Paul had heard of them? It was, of course, a Beatles Album.

Poor Sir Paul.... he gets no respect....

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

There is a poster here who has never heard of Whitney Houston until yesterday.

12. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I remember seeing that. Crazy.

But to be fair, Paul had a 20-year head start and his little four-piece had a hell of a bigger influence on music in general than Whitney did IMHO.

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Most kids know--and many love The Beatles--never thought about it but I suppose many have no idea the names of The Beatles. :confused:

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sad, sigh. A lot of these kids know nothing - and care less - about anything that happened not just before they were born, but, before they came to human or, 'musical awareness'. To them, Paul McCartney is as unknowable, as distant in time & space and as unfathomable as someone from the age and era of the Pharaohs....

Basically, most of these kids have no sense whatsoever of historical perspective, nor have they the knowledge to place things in some sort of pattern, or perspective. If it didn't happen while they could experience it or remember it, then, it didn't happen at all.

Re Sir Paul himself, agreed, much of his solo stuff leaves a lot to be desired, but his some of his earlier material with The Beatles is simply classic. Not to mention timeless.

Around ten years ago, I had a class of Modern European History students (not first years) in my country's best university to whom I was teaching an elective course in Modern Russian and Central & Eastern European History (so, one assumes an interest in the subject matter and a slight intellectual curiosity concerning the topic) confess that they had never, ever heard of Lech Walesa. I was stunned. And shocked. The assumptions I had made concerning 'assumed' knowledge had to be radically revised.......

15. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Someone somewhere in the world hasn't heard of Paul McCartney? Well ****, how will I sleep tonight?

Mother of god, that performance was just brutal.

16. mstrze macrumors 68000

I'd have to agree with this. Without his solo career hits to freshen the mind (as they were in the 70s and 80s), most folks who might only have a passing interest in Beatles music would not necessarily know the names of all 4 Beatles.

And I would have to say a lot of 'kids today' like the classics like the Beatles, Stones and Led Zep.

It's kind of odd because I wouldn't have been caught dead listening to 45 year old music when I was a teen...that would have been Big Band music from 1940 for me! (And I do enjoy me some Benny Goodman these days, but in high school??? Forget it. What could be less cool than listening to your grandparent's music?)

17. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

^^

I've thought a lot about that too and the only thing I can come up with is that rock is rock--I formed most of my music tastes in the 60s and was primarily driven toward rock music. So today, I can listen to new rock music or alternative music and still "get it" Not sure any of the previous generations can really say that. :)

18. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Hi voice is clearly gone, he's a shadow of what once was...still, people should know who he is.

That said, there are many who don't know why Charles Darwin is. I'd argue that's a bigger deal.

19. eawmp1, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

This.

-Billy Joel

20. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I did exactly this. In middle school and high school, I listened to The Beatles without shame! When I was 14, my mother took me to see a Beatles tribute band for my birthday.

Paul McCartney was never just "a voice." Not even close. Just take a look at the vast majority of The Beatles' works; whose name(s) appear as the writers?

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Scuse me. That's Billy Joel.

:D

22. snberk103 macrumors 603

Several years ago one of my young nieces wanted me to listen to this cool song she (and her friends) had just discovered. It was, of course, a cover of a classic rock song (I wish I could remember which group and which song now) by a modern band.

I think the intent was show me how "out-of-touch" I was with "modern" music. She was a bit taken aback when I started singing along, more-or-less in tune. And then horrified when I started to reminisce about hearing that song for the 1st time.... a couple of decades before she was born.

Kids now-a-days... think they invented everything.... :D