Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I don't know the names of all the Beatles, but i do love their music. So what if a lot of people don't know who paul mccartney is? The world goes on, new music is made. At the time the beatles were popular, their music was considered crap to the older generations. Same goes for music today. Just because you don't like all the "newfangled" music, doesn't mean that it's all crap. Maybe you're just stuck in the past. My kids probably won't know who Green Day are, so what?

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I don't know the names of all the Beatles, but i do love their music. So what if a lot of people don't know who paul mccartney is? The world goes on, new music is made. At the time the beatles were popular, their music was considered crap to the older generations. Same goes for music today. Just because you don't like all the "newfangled" music, doesn't mean that it's all crap. Maybe you're just stuck in the past. My kids probably won't know who Green Day are, so what?

There is some truth to this, but there is a big difference between The Beatles and Green Day.

I'm too young to remember the Beatles together, but I was there to watch Green Day explode with "Dookie." I like them both, but Green Day hasn't come close to making a lasting change on music like The Beatles did. Just my $0.02.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
really? Hmmm....which can you name?

Only Paul McCartney and John Lennon.

----------

I like them both, but Green Day hasn't come close to making a lasting change on music like The Beatles did. Just my $0.02.

Of course not, but not everyone can make a lasting change on music, some people can just make good music without changing the world and that's okay too. If a musician can put just one person into a better mood with their music, or stop just one person from committing suicide with their lyrics, then they've left their mark on the world. The beatles faced a lot of opposition from a very conservative 1960's society, and it's near impossible for modern singers to live up to their accomplishments. These days, there's not much that surprises us anymore and new music is pretty easily accepted, partially thanks to the beatles.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
There is some truth to this, but there is a big difference between The Beatles and Green Day.

I'm too young to remember the Beatles together, but I was there to watch Green Day explode with "Dookie." I like them both, but Green Day hasn't come close to making a lasting change on music like The Beatles did. Just my $0.02.

And a big difference between green day and pit bull.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Google + Wikipedia means that no one should have to make themselves look stupid on Twitter.

That's exactly what I was thinking...these people made themselves look doubly stupid for taking just as much time to type a tweet about not knowing who Paul McCartney is as it would have taken to type "Paul McCartney" into Google...you don't even have to click a link, the third result on the page answers the question:

Paul McCartney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney
Sir James Paul McCartney, MBE, Hon RAM, FRCM (born 18 June 1942) is an English musician, singer-songwriter and composer. Formerly of The Beatles ...

Then again, if you don't know who The Beatles were you might still be stumped. ;)

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Of course not, but not everyone can make a lasting change on music, some people can just make good music without changing the world and that's okay too. If a musician can put just one person into a better mood with their music, or stop just one person from committing suicide with their lyrics, then they've left their mark on the world. The beatles faced a lot of opposition from a very conservative 1960's society, and it's near impossible for modern singers to live up to their accomplishments. These days, there's not much that surprises us anymore and new music is pretty easily accepted, partially thanks to the beatles.

Yep. And there may have been some great American political leaders in the last 150 years who have touched many lives - but we (Americans, anyway) should still all know who Abraham Lincoln was, whether the cultural issues of today are as challenging or not. ;)

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Yep. And there may have been some great American political leaders in the last 150 years who have touched many lives - but we (Americans, anyway) should still all know who Abraham Lincoln was, whether the cultural issues of today are as challenging or not. ;)

Very true, and luckily American history is taught in our schools. But as time goes on, less and less people will know who Paul McCartney is unless they take a music history class. It can also be argued that the history of pop culture is not as important as the history of your country.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Why is it such a big deal to not know who Paul McCartney is (or more accurately, was)?

He was a big name from another era. There's folks here who don't know who Richard Wagner or Patsy Cline is, either.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
It can also be argued that the history of pop culture is not as important as the history of your country.

Maybe, but never to any definitive conclusion. The lines between political, social, and cultural impact can be very, very blurry - and in the era we are talking about, the three arenas were downright intertwined.

Is Shea Stadium '65 as important to the United States as the Emancipation Proclamation? Probably not! But in all honesty, I am fairly certain that one of my Anerican history classes (can't remember the grade) brought up The Beatles and Beatlemania, simply because of the breadth and depth of the cultural impact - the same way Woodstock was probably brought up. If we've moved on, ratcheted the curriculum ahead 20 years, and are now teaching about the far-reaching impact of androgyny in the formative years of music television instead -well, I guess I'd find that sad. ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That's exactly what I was thinking...these people made themselves look doubly stupid for taking just as much time to type a tweet about not knowing who Paul McCartney is as it would have taken to type "Paul McCartney" into Google...you don't even have to click a link, the third result on the page answers the question:

Then again, if you don't know who The Beatles were you might still be stumped. ;)

Exactly. I agree completely. Why parade a lack of knowledge, instead of trying to remedy it? And it is as least as easy to google 'Paul McCartney' as it is to tweet proudly about you have never heard of 'this old guy'.

blazerdude20

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
Shine Down did a remake of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man" a few years back and everyone thought it was their song.

Then again, most people thing "I will always love you" by Whitney Houston was her song first.

I enjoy Shine Down's music but Skynyrd does that piece far better.

p.s. i'm now listening to my "oldies" play list because of this thread. :D

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm surprised at how little kids know about history. Is it the curriculum or is it too boring for them? Try asking a 12 year old "what was the great depression" or "who was JFK".

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I'm surprised at how little kids know about history. Is it the curriculum or is it too boring for them? Try asking a 12 year old "what was the great depression" or "who was JFK".

Preach on. So true, I hated history in middle/high school but I remember a lot. Then in college I loved history and even took two extra classes that I didn't need. It's funny as you get older and what you find interesting, but things are changing in this world. If it's not on TMZ it's not interesting.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
John Lennon was cooler anyway :p

Too bad he married a shrieking harpy that couldn't sing to save her life.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

Wasn't Abraham Lincoln the one who said “The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it’s difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine.”?

:rolleyes:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Forget Sir Paul. We now live in a generation of people who don't know who Kurt Cobain was.

Sad, sad, sad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.