Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Que

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
UK
You're right, you didn't write that, my bad but you did agree with it. A quick summary (taken from all that was written), hence why I assumed it was you wrote it:

So, please explain to me how its worth 400-700 to open a message app a few seconds faster? :rolleyes:

and actually it's not ironic. It's just a pet peeve of mine of people misusing the word ironic. Perhaps you should read your own article.

actually, yes it is irony.

i don't need to explain anything to you, you claimed that it ISN'T worth 400-700 (is that dollars? pounds? yen? buttons?) for a faster opening app and i say that it is FOR ME. your sentence didn't say anything about it not being worth it FOR YOU so i must assume you say it's not worth it for everyone, it's worth it for me and that's my opinion.

do you care to tell me why i'm wrong and it's not worth it FOR ME?

oops, nearly forgot the obligitory :rolleyes: that you're so fond of.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
While you are here Que, can you tell me where you sold your old iPhone?

I might consider upgrading if it is only going to cost £100, but I can't see how it's possible to do it for that price?

Que

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
UK
While you are here Que, can you tell me where you sold your old iPhone?

I might consider upgrading if it is only going to cost £100, but I can't see how it's possible to do it for that price?

i did have it on ebay and it sold for £245 which was a quick 1-day sale after a scammer ruined my 3-day sale which would have gone for £270 if a genuine buyer had won it.

anyway......long story short, a family member who wanted an iphone, had limited cash and no way of getting a contract offered me £320ish for it. i seized on their desperation and took it. i had to annoy the person on ebay that won it but if ebay looked after the seller a bit more it wouldn't have gotten to that relisting in the first place.

it was a lucky turn of events that got me that much for it but i've seen 3g's going on ebay for between £250-£280 so it's not a lot of money to put towards a 3gs for what you get (if you want a 3gs of course, if you're completely happy with the 3g then there's not a single reason to spend any extra cash).

Que

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
UK
Some 2G/3G owners just like their old phone. OK? They don't have to justify why they are not upgrading it. It's just a damn phone. I'm sick of few 3GS owners think everyone have to have the latest and greatest. Someone mentioned he is keeping his 2G because doesn't like 3G and get flamed just because he doesn't like 3G's back casing. WTF? Let people buy/upgrade whenever they want.

i don't think 3gs owners are saying that 3g owners HAVE to upgrade. the reason i get involved in the debate is that 3g owners refuse to acknowledge that the 3gs is more than a minor upgrade. i don't care who has which phone, when i saw the 3gs details i thought it was a great upgrade and initially i was going to stick with the 3g and i was happy to do so but at no point did i think it was a minor upgrade, even when i wasn't going to have it. i did the maths and realised it wouldn't affect my contract and i could get a decent amount for my 3g so i went for it.

i don't look at the 3g as a rubbish phone, i love the 3g, it's just the 3gs has a couple of improvements that are relevant to me personally.

i see this whole debate as SOME 3g owners who are calling the 3gs "minor" out of spite, i can't see any 3gs owners saying the 3g is a bad phone or 3g owners HAVE to upgrade. if someone downgraded back to the 3g then so be it, like i said, i couldn't care less what phone people have.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
i did have it on ebay and it sold for £245 which was a quick 1-day sale after a scammer ruined my 3-day sale which would have gone for £270 if a genuine buyer had won it.

anyway......long story short, a family member who wanted an iphone, had limited cash and no way of getting a contract offered me £320ish for it. i seized on their desperation and took it. i had to annoy the person on ebay that won it but if ebay looked after the seller a bit more it wouldn't have gotten to that relisting in the first place.

it was a lucky turn of event that got me that much for it but i've seen 3g's going on ebay for between £250-£280 so it's not a lot of money to put towards a 3gs for what you get (if you want a 3gs of course, if you're completely happy with the 3g then there's not a single reason to spend any extra cash).

Oh, I thought you had found a better place to sell them than eBay.

I've got a white 16GB that was replaced for a cracked case 3 weeks ago and I could probably get about £325 on eBay. But once eBay and PayPal have taken their cut it would only leave me with about £280, so that £100 upgrade becomes £160.

I think I'll probably wait until next June, at least I've got a new phone and OS 3.0 has vastly improved the iPhone. :)

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Have anyone still keeping 3G iphone using and doedn't buy new one 3GS ?
I'm sure there's a lot of people who are holding onto their 3G's. I'm one of them. A co-worker is thinking of buying my 3G. If he decides to, then I'll flock to the nearby Apple Store for a 3G S as that would easily offset the extra $200 I'd have to pay for switching too early. :)

Que

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
UK
Oh, I thought you had found a better place to sell them than eBay.

I've got a white 16GB that was replaced for a cracked case 3 weeks ago and I could probably get about £325 on eBay. But once eBay and PayPal have taken their cut it would only leave me with about £280, so that £100 upgrade becomes £160.

I think I'll probably wait until next June, at least I've got a new phone and OS 3.0 has vastly improved the iPhone. :)

absolutely, the only reason the 3gs appealed to me was the video camera (my daughter is growing way too quickly) and of course the speed thing, but if the 3gs didn't have video recording i'd still be with the 3g, i loved it. i'd cut and paste all day even if i didn't need to, 3.0 was a godsend.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I opted for the 3GS, I figured I'd get a decent amount for my 3G which would offset the high premium I'd be paying for the 3GS. Plus the features of the 3GS were something I really wanted such as the video camera.

No regrets even of the battery life is poorer then the 3G. I love the video capability and I got 330 for my 3G on ebay so all is well with the world :D

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
actually, yes it is irony.

i don't need to explain anything to you, you claimed that it ISN'T worth 400-700 (is that dollars? pounds? yen? buttons?) for a faster opening app and i say that it is FOR ME. your sentence didn't say anything about it not being worth it FOR YOU so i must assume you say it's not worth it for everyone, it's worth it for me and that's my opinion.

do you care to tell me why i'm wrong and it's not worth it FOR ME?

oops, nearly forgot the obligitory :rolleyes: that you're so fond of.

Actually, its not;

Dictionary.com:

irony - the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning

Sorry buddy.

Anyways, you clearly did not read my post when I first responded to you saying it's worth it just for one app. So please, before responding again, go back and answer the question.

You seem :mad: but its just a forum. Don't get too worked up about it. Best to be :D, rather than insult others when you're actually wrong.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
Have anyone still keeping 3G iphone using and doedn't buy new one 3GS ?

i would said it a good situation to keep 3G now , 3GS too hot alot people have color change when using 3gs
. Lol that's not a very good reason not to buy the new iPhone.

All this shows is upgrade-ineligible 3G owners are delusional and refusing to acknowledge the difference.

yes we are all poor. If we were all rich we'd have the new phone.

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
I just got my 3G in January, so I figure that I'll get next years model because my battery will be shot by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.