Who just bought a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Coldwater, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Coldwater macrumors member

First off, let me say that I can understand why people would be pissed at Apple. But seeing as A)I've got a matte external for any color work and B) I'm currently running this off a 2Ghz (single core, mind you) 5 year old Compaq that has no hard drive space left and a Radeon 9800 Pro that I added in like three years ago, I have no reason to complain.

I figured with all of the "What was Apple thinking?" threads, we might as well have ONE where people can post about their new purchase. Personally, I went for the whole thing, 2.8 Ghz, 320 GB 7200 RPM drive (SSDs don't even register on my radar), so the performance boost from this old box should be enormous. I used the ADC store so it didn't take the hit as fast, though it's down with the rest of them now. Total came to about $2440.

How about you?

2. ascender macrumors 68000

I went for the entry-level spec Macbook Pro. Top end Macbook was tempting, but I've got a lot of Firewire devices here and the higher screen resolution is nice to have as I found my old black Macbook a bit cramped for doing certain things.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You're a fool if you think ANY laptop screen will give you accurate colors. If you're serious about color you will have fine tuned your profile anyway.

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I just brought a full spec 15.4 MBP! with a 320GB 7200 HDD!

So excited to get it now :) 8 days and counting :)

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You could have saved money and upgraded the HD yourself.

6. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Just ordered a full spec MBP (2.8 GHz) w/ SSD! :D
    They say a week/ten days for it to arrive :(

7. nsarwark macrumors newbie

nsarwark

15" MBP, 2.53 GHz, 250GB 7200rpm HDD

I just bought my first Apple computer ever and used my one-time ADC hardware discount.

I went with the high-end 15" and downgraded the HDD from 320GB/5400rpm to 250GB/7200rpm. I figure I saved $40 and got a faster hard drive and I can always upgrade the hard drive aftermarket in the future if necessary.

I was a little peeved that I had to take 4GB of Apple RAM instead of upgrading from 2GB, but I wanted the extra L2 cache and VRAM.

Now the waiting begins.

8. Coldwater thread starter macrumors member

If you were talking to me, I did say external.
    Using the hardware discount, the 320GB 7200 RPM was only $40.

The waiting is the hardest part. Looking at an Oct 20th-24th date.

9. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

congratulations to all of you. i know that you'll each adore your new machines.

as for the copious amounts of negative threads, well it's usually like that around here come apple announcement day. usually annoyed that the iphone didn't come with laser-guided missile capability, or that the new nano doesn't have a built in vagina.

10. nsarwark macrumors newbie

nsarwark

Yeah, if I could have used ADC discount in-store, I would have. Oh well, >$500 in savings is worth a week's wait. Especially since I've been waiting to switch since March (didn't like the mini-refresh earlier this year).

11. Coldwater thread starter macrumors member

Unrealistic expectations (although asking for matte isn't too much, regardless if I need it or not but something like blu-ray or quad core is just stupid) lead to disappointment. I kept mine at ankle level (9600GT over 9650, no firewire 400, no resolution bump) and came out ahead anyway (2.8 Ghz option, 4GB RAM standard, 9400 as well as 9600GT).

12. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Not for £34 i couldnt!

13. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Well I was about to order but I'm kind of blocked: I want to have a French keyboard layout (I'm French) but I live in Berlin. So I went to the French apple online store but they don't deliver abroad !! If I want to buy it online I have to go via the german store which offers only german/US/UK keyboard. What shall I do ?

Regards,
    Tex

14. Oli80 macrumors newbie

Likewise! Really can't wait! :D

15. Coldwater thread starter macrumors member

My only suggestion would be to call Apple (though I'm not sure which one would make more headway, perhaps the French line) and inquire about it. I'm not going to give you false hope but I'd assume they'd be reasonable about it.

16. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Ok. tomorrow I'll also call the Berlin's stores to ask them if they can order it for me.

Actually I was before thinking about using a US keyboard which would make it easier to sell it if I sell it one day. Someone here told me that I should get the keyboard I'll use and not the keyboard that will be easier to sell and I think he was right.

17. Fogtripper macrumors member

Does my order for a refurb 15" count?

$1499 for the current (pre-today's release) 15" 2.5GHz
    Plan to upgrade the RAM to 6G for about $200 and live comfortably with it for a while.

18. Coldwater thread starter macrumors member

At least you didn't totally abandon Apple. :p

19. Fogtripper macrumors member

Hell, I cannot afford to switch all of my graphic apps to the PC versions!

20. effer macrumors member

Ordered the 2.53Ghz MBP, was just going to get the base model but upgrading to 4GB of DDR3 (aftermarket) is not cheap! I would of also upgraded the 320GB HDD to 7200rpm, but I don't want the added delay in order processing. Hmm, maybe I'll change it.. got some waiting on my hands regardless!

21. duncan75 macrumors newbie

Just ordered the 2.5Ghz MBP with 320gb@7200rpm and this will be my first Apple computer since the IIgs back in the 80s. I'm actually switching from an Alienware M15x gaming notebook to the MBP for a variety of reasons. I'm a little nervous about getting to know the Mac OS but am hopeful. I plan on using bootcamp and installing a copy of XP for the mild to moderate amount of gaming that I do and will be obviously using Leopard for everything else. I plan on using my external 24" 1920x1200 Dell LCD with the notebook when I'm not traveling or mobile. I almost pulled the trigger a couple months ago for the "now old" MBP but held off week after week due to the rumors of an incipient refresh. After this morning, I'm really glad I waited.

22. Coldwater thread starter macrumors member

I don't know how much of a boost 7200 over 5400 will be (barefeets did a benchmark but I don't remember the results) but I want the impact of this new computer to totally floor me, so I went for it.

Plus, it'll still be here by next week.

23. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Who's the fool now? http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...Id=8198552921644588896&parentCategoryId=16154

I'm just messing with you about the fool part, but not the laptop. :D

Hp and Dell are also releasing led rgb screens but it remains to be seen if they will have 137% of adobe rgb color gamut like the Sonys.

24. mladenz macrumors regular

25. Fogtripper macrumors member