Who Love the new iTunes Interface?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by harry20larry, Sep 9, 2009.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

I love now that its shiny!
    Marble is starting to seem like a more realistic thing!

2. Gabebr macrumors newbie

And also have you guys noticed that the GREEN button does not switch to the mini player anymore????

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

What really? What does it do now then?

4. Gabebr macrumors newbie

on mine it does what the Safari one does now... it just moves the itunes window and it changes its shape.... u know what i mean?

5. bartelby macrumors Core

The white is nasty.

They need to bring back the black backgrounds and fix the green button!!

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

The Bad: White is too bright; grey was better. A new highlight style (like the one on iTunes DJ) would make it better. Progress thing is crappy with the fill, as is the volume slider. They just don't fit. "Sunken" search field. Title bar looks like it's running at 1024 colors or something; really unrefined and gritty. White background looks unrefined, almost like it was rushed. IMO, it looks like MS did that part. Song-name bolding either too bold or not smooth enough. Store WAY too slow (at least at initial run). Titlebar section too fiddly (like the back of the Ferrari F430).

AND PERHAPS THE BIGGEST LETDOWN SINCE SNOW LEOPARD

iTunes 9 is not 64-bit. Probably still Carbon, too.

The Good: The new icons are nice. Song name bolded. Tab-like thing at new store. Many elements of Marble/Illuminence or whatever starting to emerge. That's about it.

Overall: Looks a lot like Windows XP Media Center, i.e. glass effect overused. Still has some really rough edges, but it works.

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Lost you there. I don't see a resemblance. In fact iTunes used to have sorta glassy Aqua buttons for a long time until iTunes 7, I believe. They are not glassy in v.9.

Overall I'm ok with the new look. I think it's pretty slick, but I never liked and still dislike the dull blue-gray scrollbars (prefer aqua or something else).

It looks like Apple is backing away from the dark look (e.g., see grid view), which is too bad IMO as I liked it but I guess it was inconsistent and would have been a drastic change to make everything dark.

I can't wait for a "defaults..." command to switch to the mini player with the zoom "+" button again. In the meantime, holding down option while clicking zoom works.

8. Alith macrumors 6502

UK localisation at last!!

'Movies' and 'TV Shows' are now 'Films' and 'TV Programmes' huraaaaah!

Be sure to have your OS X language set to 'British English'... whatever that is.

9. trunkster macrumors member

All the new icons are cool but why does iTunes still have the same icon? It doesn't really go with the rest of the app now. The white backgrounds in iTunes are ugly, I wonder why they chose to do that. And of course the most aggravating thing of all is that iTunes is still a carbon app. I'm hoping for a iTunes 5 repeat but that is unlikely.

10. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Good point about the iTunes icon. Apple changed the QT icon at v.10, maybe it will be the same for iTunes... IMO it's time to lose the CD image too. Apple is pushing downloadable media + the Air does not have a player. DVD Player does not have a CD image. When a CD comes near my Mac, its usually a DVD and rarely a music CD these days.

11. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Ugh. What's the point of HIG if Apple never follows it.

Custom gradients, custom toolbar buttons, custom everything. It doesn't match Snow Leopard's UI at ALL!

12. bryantm3 macrumors regular

It looks kind of tacky, like they took the cruddy looking dull colours of iTunes 8 and put lip gloss all over it. The list view is also rather weird; the browser has moved to the left side instead of on top, and there's no option for 'Albums'. This is really frustrating for compilation albums that have several different artists on them. The iTunes Genius is kind of neat; it gave me a jazz mix and I'm listening to that now. Unfortunately, it put the Rolling Stones in with Prog Rock, and that is a pretty massive error.

My overall vote is, can I downgrade back to iTunes 8?

13. celticpride678

The iTunes Store is kinda slow here too. Probably because of all the people downloading 3.1, Apple still making some minor changes and they are making changes to servers or something like that. It should become faster though (hopefully)!

14. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

iTunes: [​IMG]

XP Media Center: [​IMG]

Quite similar, at least to me.

Attached Files:

15. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

What do you mean by this? Song names look the same for me.

16. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Check my screenshot. (post 14)

17. jasonwilldermoo macrumors newbie

View>column browser>on top. :D

18. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Oh I see. Sorry, I was looking at the list view, not the playing track up on top. It's a nice touch.

19. Grimmeh macrumors member

I hate this. It's a real downer, especially being major release. It's like they took the regular GUI and hit inverse. Flat scroll bars and glossy everything else versus the glossy scrollbars and flat everything else of Safari, Mail, etc.

It feels as though iTunes 9 was rushed for the iPods just so they have more to show. What a shame, when will Apple be smart and make iTunes a standard 64-bit Cocoa application (hey, if Finder, Mail, and iChat can benefit from it, iTunes defiantly can).

I do, however, like the iTunes LP feature and the app organization for iPhones and iPods (even that looks unfinished and poorly thought out). That about covers my likes. :(

20. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I find this REALLY annoying!

I often switch between full and mini, and used to be able to toggle with the green button. Now, I gotta hit shift-command-M to get back to the small player.

Stupid.

21. buddywalker macrumors newbie

I hate the new interface. It looks terrible and doesn't match anything. Why would they make it not match their other apps when all the others match so well? The white looks terrible in place of the black/grey. Its to shiny and looks bad.

22. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I like it! Looks good. I like the App navigation, movies, music. I like it all.

23. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I like it for the most part, but that white background has got to go.

24. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    White is a terrible choice and makes my eyes burn.

25. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

LOL, iTunes 9......should be called iMedia 9.

How much RAM does this bloated piece of software eat up anyway? Once Vox gets library support, I'm never going to use iTunes ever again. The choice of mp3 player software us mac users have is ridiculous.

Anyway:

www.voxapp.net

[​IMG]

Apple really needs to release a simple application for playing back mp3s ONLY. The fact that we have to load up and run, or even have installed, all the other unnecessary crap that some of us dont use (ipods, iphones, itv, apps, itunes music store, etc) is ridiculous.

Snow Leopard was supposed to give us tweaks. It did, sort of...but it could be better.