Who misses 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wordoflife, Dec 29, 2010.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It looks like that the rest of the major US carriers (T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint) already have their "4G" branding out and AT&T still is far behind. Do any of you AT&T users really desire a 4G network or are you fine with 3G? I know it's better to move on, but honestly .... at this point I don't really care because the 3G speeds I have are already very fast speeds and compare decently to the 4G speed tests I've seen. I just thought about this after hearing some friends talk so much about their 4G networks even though their speedtests are the same as my 3G speeds.

AT&T might get screwed by the 4G hype that the other carriers have and their commercials. (in terms of contract subscriptions and renewals)

Just wanted to hear some opinions about AT&T 3G compared to other 4G networks.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Nah, people don't really "get" 4G or 3G for that matter.

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

For the average consumer, all they think of is the number, and the higher the number, the faster and more reliable the network, right? :cool:

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Heh, no. They really don't understand what it means.

5. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Had an Epic 4G, and I do miss the speed. Doesnt help that AT&T is terrible in Orange County. Right now my phone is "searching" for signal haha.
    But I got an ispot 4G a couple weeks ago and I've been really satisfied with it. I use it when I do heavy browsing, or I wanna stream some air video or Netflix.
    I get about 6MBps with it. Really nice.

6. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Are you serious? 4G? HAH. I'm rocking the 32G.

But really...Also, its really not too bad in Orange County for ATT. Im in Irvine and I've got about 4 bars.

7. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Can't miss something I never had. Hell, I dont even really use 3G.. Most of the time i'm on Wi-Fi and if i'm not more than likely i'm somewhere I probably shouldn't be on the internet at anyway.

8. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

*golf clap*

9. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Sprint and T Moblie 4G and only in some cities it's not like they have it across the country, also T mobile 3G foot print is a joke. Verizon doesn't have a phone with 4G yet and AT&T 3G is the fasted out of the major four across the country.

Nobody has true 4G real 4G starts out at 100mbps. AT&T says there hspa+ is 80% done and when they finish I guess there going to flip the switch for there whole network.

I don't think too many people are going to stay away from AT&T because they don't have 4G there about to pass Verizon for most costumers this quarter

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Not according to the ITU.

http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2010/48.aspx

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the carriers are charging more for 4G, then no, I don't and won't miss it.

The way I use my phone, is mostly email, some surfing, and some games. Very little high speed bandwidth is needed, so I'd rather not increase my monthly bill

12. chestvrg macrumors 65816

My best friend has the HTC Evo and we have done a speed test together with my 3GS and we get about the same speed and him been on 4G, which Sprint hasn't officially rolled out in Miami metro area but he partially gets in and out.

One thing Inhabe noticed on his Evo is that when he is on 4G,'he can do voice and data simultaneous, something that AT&T's 3G has always been capable of.

Chester - iPhone using Tapatalk

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Screw the ITU. They first said LTE, wimax and HSPA are not 4G and they changed their minds. They were bribed.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

15. GolpherZX macrumors newbie

I right now have an EVO in a 4G market and I would say that it is nice from the standpoint that in the downtown market that is saturated with users it is nice to be able to jump to a less saturated network. The second benefit is when uploading photos. Those are the two main benefits.

The fact is, most mobile sites are optimized to be low bandwidth and to work well within 3G phones. There isn't much that you truly need a 4G network for today.

Being into cellular technologies quite a bit from a network standpoint (not the inner workings, but Internet routing and switching), I have to say that T-Mobile is NOT a 4G network. It is probably more of a super 3G network. Sprint is almost there to being a 4G network, and Verizon is there. In my opinion to be 4G, it needs to be natively IP, and very little TDM.

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I don't do anything on my iPhone that requires 4G speed to work, so I can't say that I'm clamoring for it.

17. thebubbatex macrumors regular

Then something is wrong with his EVO. I have an EVO and I mainly use 4G when it is available in cities I travel to for tethering my laptop - and I can make calls while using 4G. I do it all the time.

While 4G it is a nice to have, I rarely use it - its a real battery drain.

18. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Then a better question would be, "Do you desire 4G speeds or do 3G speeds suffice?"

I know if AT&T wants to charge more money for 4G, I'll just go ahead with 3G since it works good for me.

19. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

100 Mbps is like the theoretical speed they get locally in their labs with the computers 2 inches away from each other.

20. thebubbatex macrumors regular

Given the hit to the battery the EVO takes when connected and using 4G (WiMax), IMO 4G is only good for tethering or as a hotspot. I am sure YouTube, Netflix, video calling, etc. would stream better, but your battery is not going to last long at all. And I doubt any new phone next year is going to improve upon this very much. The EVO can come in very handy for tethering or as a hotspot if 4G is available, but I better have it plugged in. A solid 3G connection is much better for overall daily smartphone usage, IMO.

21. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I don't know where you go in Orange County...

4G is just commercial hype.

22. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

4G is indeed quite a bit faster than 3G. Stevie was talking about how 3G approaches Wi-Fi speeds? Yeah well 4G is pretty much on par if not better than the average Wi-Fi connection.

23. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

I'm still waiting for those crooks at AT&T to get any sort of data in and around the LA and Orange county area, seems like wherever I go I'm constantly getting a no service warning from every app I use that uses data.

What am I paying 30 bucks per month for?

24. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I have a Clear Spot in my wife's car so her and then kids can use the Touches out and about. They love it and I see speeds faster than AT&T in my area. I'm in the Philly area.

25. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Interesting because I don't have that problem anywhere I go in Southern California...wonder if there is an issue with your particular phone?