Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balinmar

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
im actually selling my unibody and keeping my old one...they are both 2.4 and run the same.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I like the classic MBP and almost kept mine around but it seemed like a bit of a waste of a great machine to leave sitting idle most of the time.

But I really fell for the new unibody. There is nothing that I wish were different, the way it is is awesome :cool:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Absolutely not! One of the main reasons I have brought a new Unibody Mac Book pro to replace the Mac Book Pro I brought in 2007 November is cause of it's design. Specifically the keyboard, for the keyboard on the old model is absolutely awful and terrible, I make constant typos on it, it's utter crap for ME. Others may find it perfect.
Apart from that I think the new one looks nice and modern, it's thin and matches the rest of the Mac range nicely.

EDIT: I should also mention the glass on the screen is great, the body is stronger, the screen latch has finally gone, and my Unibody 2.53 is quite a bit faster then my old 2.4 is.

packeteer

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
love everything about the new unibody macs except the screen

loose hinges, large black bezel and gloss screen = lose

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Love the new design, its much nicer than the old one. I'm fine with the bezel, glossy screen and I love that the optical drive is on the side so I don't have to shift the laptop when dealing with DVDs. Backlight works so much better with the black keys. The curved shape feels nicer to handle as well. I like the little touches like the battery indicator, although It would have been nice it the leds were dual color.

To sum up, I dig it.

PS. The best part is that it doesn't look like my five year old Powerbook.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
I LOVE the new designs. Unibody FTW. However, I do wish the keys were not so oil friendly.

honestaeb

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
California
I don't know...I used to really like the look of the older MBPs, but this new one is pretty slick looking. These days, when I see an older MBP next to a unibody...well, the unibody looks so much better.

I guess Apple people are no different from anyone else...They fear change.

balinmar

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
i just hate looking at my unibody and seeing how worn out and shiny the keys have gotten...it´s very annoying. it drives me crazy...the silver keys would play it off real nice.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
i just hate looking at my unibody and seeing how worn out and shiny the keys have gotten...it´s very annoying. it drives me crazy...the silver keys would play it off real nice.

that's the one thing I disliked about my G4 TiBook. I'm surprised Apple made the same mistake again with the unibody design. I prefer the classic MBP keyboard anyhow.

DESILVA89

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
i'm trying to sell my unibody mbp, in order to get the older classic version.
i just really like the older aesthetics more.
i've advertised my mbp unibody on craigslist, are there any other safe sites (not ebay)?

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
that's the one thing I disliked about my G4 TiBook. I'm surprised Apple made the same mistake again with the unibody design. I prefer the classic MBP keyboard anyhow.
I only have the uni macbook, but I would certainly go for the old keyboard on the MBP than on the new macbooks and macbook pros.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I definitely love my Penryn more than the unibody. The only real problem I have with the unibody is the amazing ugly black chicklet keys, it is like putting plastic spinner hub caps on a Ferrari. The black bezel isn't much to write home about either.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
New Unibody all the way.

The machine just looks, better - the plastic edging has gone, which looked horrible really and the whole machine looks slimmer and more refined. Seeing as the MacBook Pros were essentially the same design as an AluPB then it really was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Plus, there's the little touches. The disc drive no longer ejects into an external keyboard, your wrists or lap. The whole machine feels so much stronger with zero flexing and closes with a satisfying clink.

Oh, and I prefer the chiclet keyboard - have done ever since I bought a Core Duo Blackbook in 2006.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I personally like the new unibody design, and all the benefits that come with it... Strength etc etc.

What I have a niggle with - is that the Macbook Pro and Macbook are now practically identical on first and second glance - where before with the previous generations - you got the Powerbook/Macbook Pro style for the premium price you paid. Meh...

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
I prefer the old design, the unibodys look like all the other pcs. Sony has notebooks with a similarly carved keyboard, with black keys on silver metallic material.

I had an early '08 MBP without any structural problem (but with a lot of other hw defects) or noises. Instead, the unibody has a loose battery cover and makes some strange noises when I close the lid (coming from the black pastic under the screen).

I love the latch, I love a trackpad with a button: with the unibody I had to buy a mouse. The new keyboard feels cheaper, but the separated keys are better for my quite large hands: I don't do as many typos as I used to do on the older MBP.

-- thistle

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I would like the unibody with the same weight as the old ones and a matte or at least regular glossy display. I just saw a guy in the library with a unibody and the display is simply awful for uncontrolled light situations. I think Apple got it all right and then ****ed up big time with the glass on the display.

I'm okay with my early 2008 MBP for now, but I do worry about the future because I really don't want that glossy display.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Love the new design, its much nicer than the old one. I'm fine with the bezel, glossy screen and I love that the optical drive is on the side so I don't have to shift the laptop when dealing with DVDs. Backlight works so much better with the black keys. The curved shape feels nicer to handle as well. I like the little touches like the battery indicator, although It would have been nice it the leds were dual color.

To sum up, I dig it.
Well said.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
When I see the classic 15" mbp, the design does bring me back memories of nostalgia but when the unibody mbp's build quality comes to mind and when I do look at the actual unibody, I always change my mind and think the new unibody mbp is just perfectly built and superior.

Only thing I do miss is the matte screen of the older mbp but at times the high glass quality with the led backlighting that portrays the pictures/movies so vividly, I am glad that I got the new unibody mbp.

As for the keyboard, I think the unibody mbp's keyboard is much better as well.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
The new MBP isn't distanced enough from the new Macbook.

@jj: The old MBP had LED backlighting since the Santa Rosa came out in mid 2007.

tecknical

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
i'm a little biased since i'm still using the old MBP, but I kinda dig the new ones. one thing that i dont like (but i havent used long enough to form a good opinion) is the new trackpad. it is giant, but i somehow miss the button whenever i use it. and i heard it has "sticky" problems. i love the keyboard of the old MBPs though, and i dont care what everyone says, those chiclet keyboards are the devil

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
The whole thing is a button, it works nice. Been using it three days and I'm used to it already.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Spend part of the afternoon yesterday at Fry's playing with the new MBPs and also a MB Air. Didn't realize how really cool the Air is. That machine feels like a little delightful sliver of aluminum when closed, with a nifty little pop-down access door for the ports - very clean design.

The new MB - you can have it... just not that impressive. The new MBP... fairly nice, really sharp vibrant display, good construction, but the unibody edges seem too sharp for me around the palm rest. The chicklet keys work on the Air, but just seem "me, too" on the MBP. Not distinctive. There were tons of Sonys and HPs and Toshibas also on display, and the new MBP just looked like an imitator. Not the classicly unique design of the prior generation MBP. The new trackpad took a bit of getting used to - I'd have preferred leaving things the way they were, but it did eventually begin to feel more comfortable with the 'clicking' issues. Typically, whenever I'd click, the arrow would move and I'd miss my button, or click on the wrong thing, unlike with the separate button where movement over the button wouldn't move the cursor. You have to think about it more with the new model to avoid making the cursor move when you are clicking, which is a step backwards (IMHO) in the GUI design/user-friendliness area. With my current trackpad/button arrangement, I often click the button with a motion, which doesn't matter, because I'm not touching the actual trackpad with that move, whether it is with my thumb or finger. The old design was just about perfect, so I don't see the new one as an improvement. Also, the surface of my older trackpad feels just as smooth as the new glass one... not sure what's gained there either.

I didn't like the flimsy-ness of the new display/lid. It just seemes weaker, despite being glass covered. The hinge is looser, which maybe makes it feel that way. On my older MBP, when I close the lid, it makes a nice solid, quiet sound, and feels secure when closed. I have no creaks in the body, so it in no way feels flimsy, especially when compared to any other laptop. Sure, metal (especially thin metal) dents, while plastic doesn't (which is why most SLR cameras are still plastic) but plastic cracks easily.

The classic MBP was a great design that still looks modern compared to the glitzy stuff out there how in the PC world.

Hopefully, some of the stylistic things that made MBPs stand out will come back in the next design, incorporating the best of the old and new construction methods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.