Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Owned a Sea Dweller for almost 20 years now, used it exclusively until Apple Watch 3, which I’ve been using every day since, except one a few weeks ago, when I gave the Sea Dweller an outing for a special occasion. Sometimes wonder whether I should sell the Sea Dweller, but just can’t bring myself to do it. It is quite a lot of capital to have tied up in a pretty useless thing though. But, it’s mine and I’ve got one.

app,e watch is staying the daily driver though.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Using mechanical watches also means updating the time every few months or so. Unless of course, you don't really care whether the watch shows the correct time.

You seem to be trying to counter one of the points of the post you are quoting; I can't quite tell if you're joking.

Setting a mechanical watch takes 10 seconds. And, if you really enjoy your watch, it can be a pleasant experience. You might be trying to compare that to the effort of keeping an Apple Watch updated and upgraded.

It's kind of like deciding whether to use toothpaste. If you don't, then you have a long road of dental work and gum surgery ahead of you. If you do, then you have to spend all that time squeezing out the toothpaste.

Reactions: Cashmonee

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
Last week I missed my stand goal when I updated the software on my Watch, so made a point of wearing other watches for evenings out over the weekend.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I wear my Titanium AW Series 6 on my right wrist, and my Rolex, Omega, etc on the left wrist, every day. I view the AW as a fitness tracker that replaced my Withings Pulse O2, and not as watch.

utzelu

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2020
I wear my Titanium AW Series 6 on my right wrist, and my Rolex, Omega, etc on the left wrist, every day. I view the AW as a fitness tracker that replaced my Withings Pulse O2, and not as watch.

I would think a titanium AW would resemble a traditional watch quite a lot, especially when paired with a bracelet or a luxury strap. I personally can’t make myself double wrist.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I would think a titanium AW would resemble a traditional watch quite a lot, especially when paired with a bracelet or a luxury strap. I personally can’t make myself double wrist.

I'll admit that I'm a bit self-conscious when wearing both. I'd like to use a simple sport band and have the Apple Watch's face placed on the inside of my wrist. Unfortunately, the watch doesn't work correctly when worn like that; I cannot get it to wake when I raise my wrist. I've followed various threads on this issue; I've read speculation, which seemed reasonable, that Apple doesn't want to encourage this positioning since its sensors are not calibrated for that.

person s

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
my spouse persuaded me to get an AW6 earlier this year
until then I was mostly wearing a 1978 Longines winding watch and a couple of Mondaine modals - all now in a drawer

utzelu

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2020
I'll admit that I'm a bit self-conscious when wearing both. I'd like to use a simple sport band and have the Apple Watch's face placed on the inside of my wrist. Unfortunately, the watch doesn't work correctly when worn like that; I cannot get it to wake when I raise my wrist. I've followed various threads on this issue; I've read speculation, which seemed reasonable, that Apple doesn't want to encourage this positioning since its sensors are not calibrated for that.

I’d think it would be rather uncomfortable to keep the AW with the face on the interior of wrist, especially if working on a computer. There are plenty of fitness bands out there, if you want to double wrist and keep a low profile.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I’d think it would be rather uncomfortable to keep the AW with the face on the interior of wrist, especially if working on a computer.
True.
There are plenty of fitness bands out there, if you want to double wrist and keep a low profile.
But none are as integrated into the iOS ecosystem. An Apple „fitness band“ would solve this problem, but I doubt we‘ll ever see this.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I’d think it would be rather uncomfortable to keep the AW with the face on the interior of wrist, especially if working on a computer. There are plenty of fitness bands out there, if you want to double wrist and keep a low profile.

I find it pretty comfortable. I do work on a computer all day, but my wrists don't lie against any surface. I was taught long ago to keep my wrists in a neutral position while typing and I don't have any elevated wrist rest which would allow that. So, my wrists are in the air.

The Apple Watch doesn't feel that much different than an ordinary watch; my dad always wore his ordinary watch (back in the 60's) on the inside of his wrist. I'm not sure of his reasoning, but it's possible he just wanted to protect the face from collisions. I got my first nice watch in the 80's; I always wore that on the inside of my wrist. I was a graduate student and embarrassed by my conspicuous consumption, especially so living on a TA salary.

I do use a sport band, but I'd like the Apple Watch to not look like a watch at all. I'm being silly. As my wife says, "you're old, no one is looking at you!".

Airch

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2021
I double wrist everyday. Rolex on the left and small computer type doodad on the right.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
It has been almost exactly 3 years since I sold my Apple Watch and began collecting non-smart watches and I just happened to stumble on this thread, so let me give an update.

I do not miss the Apple Watch at all. Since selling it I have gone through many watches, buying and selling, seeing what my tastes are, appreciating what each of them has to offer. I have loved every minute of it. This year I was fortunate enough to be able to my grail watch, a Speedmaster, and even was able to grab a Seamaster too! I love the joy my watches bring and I still really enjoy being able to unplug throughout my day.

Having said that, I love that so many of you are finding that your Apple Watch is fulfilling and even many that are continuing to integrate dumb watches!

Reactions: MarkX

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
One reason that we could even seriously have this type of discussion is that Apple made an early decision with the Apple Watch to design it as jewelry as much as technology. We see that decision in lots of different aspects of the Apple Watch, including the focus on bands, the choice of materials and finishes, the Hermes partnership, and the product's core design. I mention this in part because some of the S8 rumors make me concerned that Apple has switched its focus and is now thinking of the Watch as more of a gadget than as jewelry. In particular, a larger case may make sense from a tech perspective, but it isn't necessarily the choice that looks better on the wrist. Flat faces and sharp, squared-off edges make the Watch more aligned with the iPad/Macbook/iPhone, but don't necessarily work as well for a personal accessory and affect the way sleeves drape over the watch, etc.

I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Roadster Lewis

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
One reason that we could even seriously have this type of discussion is that Apple made an early decision with the Apple Watch to design it as jewelry as much as technology. We see that decision in lots of different aspects of the Apple Watch, including the focus on bands, the choice of materials and finishes, the Hermes partnership, and the product's core design. I mention this in part because some of the S8 rumors make me concerned that Apple has switched its focus and is now thinking of the Watch as more of a gadget than as jewelry. In particular, a larger case may make sense from a tech perspective, but it isn't necessarily the choice that looks better on the wrist. Flat faces and sharp, squared-off edges make the Watch more aligned with the iPad/Macbook/iPhone, but don't necessarily work as well for a personal accessory and affect the way sleeves drape over the watch, etc.

I hope I'm wrong.
I think they realize they can't compete with the mechanical Swiss watch industry. The swiss market is doing great and as popular as ever. Apple is realizes these are disposal electronics and is moving away from higher end materials and focusing more on tech. I doubt we will get ceramic or Ti going forward.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
I think they realize they can't compete with the mechanical Swiss watch industry.
Define "compete". In units sold and revenue earned, Apple Watch trounces the whole Swiss watch industry.

Luxury watches do and will survive as a) jewellery, b) collections / investments and c) heirloom pieces. Apple Watch certainly doesn't compete in b) and c). a) is debatable as beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me personally a titanium/steel Apple Watch looks nicer (and of course more modern) than 95% of mechanicals.

The swiss market is doing great and as popular as ever.
Not really. The wider Swiss watch industry suffered a decrease of 21% in value and 33% in volume in 2020. Link To quote from that report: "Entry-level watches continues to suffer from the onslaught of smartwatches.(…) The Swiss watch industry has sold 13.7m watches in 2020 (…) In 2016, the numbers were 25m." The only watches and makers still doing good are actually the most expensive/luxury ones … which makes sense as they own the b) and c) markets (see above) in which Apple Watch (and other smart watches) doesn't compete at all.

Apple is realizes these are disposal electronics and is moving away from higher end materials and focusing more on tech. I doubt we will get ceramic or Ti going forward.
We'll see. There certaily won't be solid gold Watches ever again (that was a Jony Ive thing), but they will certainly always have the stainless steel models (which are a lot nicer and dressier than the aluminum models). Titanium isn't really "higher end" than steel (and didn't cost much more either) and might be gone because of lack of sales, but this is all speculation at this point. Ceramic is/was indeed the "high end" option for a few years/series and I'm very curious myself if it'll return at some point. The design team love to experiment with materials, so maybe the next "Edition" will have a completely different material. I do think there is a market for the Watches above the basic aluminium as well-off folks who can't/won't ignore the ever-growing utility of the Watch will want something nice(er) on their wrist. They can still wear their Rolex et al. in the evening or when going out.

Reactions: StumpJumper

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Thanks! As time goes on I’m being tempted by the 44mm, if someone is going to make a comment on the 44 then they will on the 40 so why sacrifice screen estate! I like the idea of the Nike sport loop as like you, I think it will balance out against my omega…. Although as it’s summer I have the alligator strap on!!
Update on this! I ultimately decided on the 40mm as I thought if I’m using the AW as a health device similar to my Fitbit then I didn’t need the bigger screen. Turns out it was the best decision and my health/fitness has improved quite a bit in the 6 weeks I’ve had it on my other wrist. And even better, not one look and/or comment that I’m double wristing!! Don’t get me wrong, if I’m rushing out to the car and I don’t have the Omega PO GMT on, I don’t run back for it but you can’t deny the beauty of a mechanical watch when it’s on the wrist!

Reactions: Roadster Lewis

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

Sorry, it's the black version, so it's more under the radar.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2016
Come on. Of course I prefer my brand name watches with diamonds. The more expensive, the better. You can't compare the two.

I only got the AW6 so I wouldn't become fat during the pandemic! :);):D

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.