Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
I prefer to wear my seamaster, the AW can sit on the side for days uncharged.

I bought my first AW two months ago and though about selling my Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra.
The excitement about the notifications on the AW wore off pretty quickly and compared to my Omega the AW just looks cheap.

I took out my Omega today and I love its timeless beauty. Loved it for the first 10 years and I think I'll never go back to the AW again after that two month experiment.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I bought my first AW two months ago and though about selling my Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra.
The excitement about the notifications on the AW wore off pretty quickly and compared to my Omega the AW just looks cheap.

I took out my Omega today and I love its timeless beauty. Loved it for the first 10 years and I think I'll never go back to the AW again after that two month experiment.

That's the thing here really - the AW I think really needs to be addictive or genuinely useful to garner wrist-time over a luxury watch. AW still looks awfully cheap, and recently I've begun to think they even look tacky, especially with those silicon bands - looks like a child's thing - though leather bands like Hermes help a lot, as does the SS version paired with them.

If buying a new watch now I'd probably go for a luxury watch over an AW at this point in time because luxury watches are simply beautiful jewellery, and that goes for men too - it's probably the only remaining truly acceptable jewellery that men can wear these days.

For AW to get my attention again I'd want a round version now, and I'd want proper sports features like a Garmin Fenix, and I'd want Whoop like recovery tracking.

For a smart watch, it's still pretty lacking really if you're really into sports. Gimmicks it does great, but my experiences (I've had two AW versions over the years) are like yours - I don't really care for the notifications, I always have my phone. The cellular is wasted (because again, I always have my phone even when cycling as I want the phone camera) and then there's the issue with the AW looking childish which pretty much kills any professional work outfit!

Though in the latter point AW is so popular now you'll see them everywhere. It has a kinda status of its own as tech-cool I'd describe it. It sort of transcends the typical style norms you'd expect from formal wear - but once or if that reality distortion field bursts - it's hard to go back - and it just looks like a cheap child's thing on someone's wrist when I see one now.

Reactions: Axelle838

geoffs999

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
I may be a universe of one, but I don't view the AW as a watch at all. I use it as a fitness wearable. At the moment, I'm wearing a Rolex GMT Master II on my left wrist and an AW on my right wrist.
I like you have a Rolex GMT Master II and an Omega SpeedMaster Moon watch. I wear my Rolex for the time and my Apple Watch 6 for fitness tracking and answering the iPhone, messaging etc. Someone told me wearing 2 watches was called a Schwarzkopf named after USA Army General who used to wear two watches.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I had a lot of mechanicals but since I got my first Apple Watch, I‘ve reduced them to one keeper - a Sub 14060 with tritium dial (which sits in its box because I never wear it as I prefer the AW because of its functionality). I‘m not going to sell the Sub because to me it‘s more or less the perfect watch… but the AW and especially its health functions had me hooked from day one, plus I think it really looks great as well.

So now I‘m collecting straps instead of watches (which isn’t entirely true as I also have three AW models at the moment) ;-)

Mistborn15

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2021
I prefer Apple watch to any non-smart watch but any formal occasions - awards / weddings / product launches, I won't even consider the Apple watch

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I tried to convince myself the AW is better and more useful for years but in the end its just a piece of battery powered tech that will be in a landfill in 4-5 years. Yes its useful but thats it. A mechanical watch is so much more interesting IMHO. I love the intricasy of the 2-300 parts that all work together in harmony with no chips or batteries. It has its own heart beat. I still by the AW every year because I love tech and wear it around the house, sleeping, exercising etc but just prefer the mechanicals. I reduced mine down to 1 but now starting to build the collection back up again. Only downside is its an expensive hobby but depending on what and how you buy they can actually go up in value. Esp the Rolex SS models if you can even get one.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I tried to convince myself the AW is better and more useful for years but in the end its just a piece of battery powered tech that will be in a landfill in 4-5 years. Yes its useful but thats it. A mechanical watch is so much more interesting IMHO. I love the intricasy of the 2-300 parts that all work together in harmony with no chips or batteries. It has its own heart beat. I still by the AW every year because I love tech and wear it around the house, sleeping, exercising etc but just prefer the mechanicals. I reduced mine down to 1 but now starting to build the collection back up again. Only downside is its an expensive hobby but depending on what and how you buy they can actually go up in value. Esp the Rolex SS models if you can even get one.
I also love the sheer wonder of a mechanical watch. That said, all of mine have been in a drawer ever since I got my Apple watches. I just find the utility outweighs the other factors.

Reactions: bricktop_at

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I also love the sheer wonder of a mechanical watch. That said, all of mine have been in a drawer ever since I got my Apple watches. I just find the utility outweighs the other factors.
I thought that at first but realized I don't need the utility stuff as much as I thought. Its more about the joy then the utility for me. I have an iPhone that does what I need. A Prius is a more useful utility than a Porshe but hey. Also here in SF almost everyone wears an AW so thats getting a bit old.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I thought that at first but realized I don't need the utility stuff as much as I thought. Its more about the joy then the utility for me. I have an iPhone that does what I need. A Prius is a more useful utility than a Porshe but hey. Also here in SF almost everyone wears an AW so thats getting a bit old.
Honestly for me the best thing is landing and having my watch be on the correct date/time for the timezone I'm in. Being able to make calls when I leave my phone behind is the icing on the cake. But I totally get where you are coming from.

BTW. There is no universe where a Porsche has less utility than a Prius. :)

Reactions: MayfairMissy

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I used like to wear ultra thin watches like my Seiko LaSalle (which was also a beautiful watch), when that wore out I went to Skagen thin watches. Being an Apple stock holder, I figured I would try the AW, even though it was quite thick in comparison, been wearing one ever since. Now that that I am much older, the fall alarm and the heart health is much more important than having an impressive watch, if I did have one, it would be a Movado with the absolutely plain dial!

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I’ve now seen on two occasions people dual wristing watches. An AW on one and a mechanical on the other. Looked absurd.

Watches are tools and while I appreciate my own mechanicals the AW is simply more useful to me. I’m not one to flex watches or jewelry. The only thing about the AW is I wish I could replace the a battery easily and cheaply. I went from a 0 to a 6 and won’t upgrade again for at least 5 years.

Reactions: the future

Airch

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2021
I wear a Rolex on the left, all black AW on the right. The AW is a mini computer that tells me heart rate, oxygen, temp, etc…… and as a consumer electronic will be in a landfill is 5yrs. I bought it to track health and support my Apple stock.

The Rolex is an heirloom one of my kids will inherit and has appreciated nicely….

They are very different objects with very different reasons for existing.

The AW has wrecked the low end watch market, but hasn’t touched the high end. Why? Well a WIS is going to buy real timepiece no matter what and prob have an AW too for “other” purposes. They are just very different things.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I wear a Rolex on the left, all black AW on the right. The AW is a mini computer that tells me heart rate, oxygen, temp, etc…… and as a consumer electronic will be in a landfill is 5yrs. I bought it to track health and support my Apple stock.

The Rolex is an heirloom one of my kids will inherit and has appreciated nicely….

They are very different objects with very different reasons for existing.

The AW has wrecked the low end watch market, but hasn’t touched the high end. Why? Well a WIS is going to buy real timepiece no matter what and prob have an AW too for “other” purposes. They are just very different things.
Agreed but I can’t bring myself to wear both at the same time

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I’ve now seen on two occasions people dual wristing watches. An AW on one and a mechanical on the other. Looked absurd.

Watches are tools and while I appreciate my own mechanicals the AW is simply more useful to me. I’m not one to flex watches or jewelry. The only thing about the AW is I wish I could replace the a battery easily and cheaply. I went from a 0 to a 6 and won’t upgrade again for at least 5 years.

Watches are much more than simply 'tools'. If you genuinely think that you have a lot to learn about life, status, fashion etc.

Incredibly wet behind the ears comment.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
Watches are much more than simply 'tools'.
Basically, they are - whatever you may think. And "our" mechanicals are in fact completely overengineered tools, if you see it rationally, because basically no one needs them nowadays.
Nevertheless I loved my mechanicals (still do! because they are something to pass on to my son(s)) and they are quite special and also darn expensive tools ;-)

Incredibly wet behind the ears comment.
Incredibly arrogant comment.

Last edited:

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
Basically, they are - whatever you may think. And "our" mechanicals are in fact completely overengineered tools, if you see it rationally, because basically no one needs them nowadays.
Nevertheless I loved my mechanicals (and still do! because they are something to pass on to my son(s)) and also they are quite special and also darn expensive tools ;-)

Incredibly arrogant comment.
I thought " status" took the cake.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I have always loved mechanical watches. I have a small collection of "nice" watches including my bucket list watch of the Omega Speedmasster "Moon Watch" that I have loved since watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. However, all of them have lived in my safe since I bought my first AW. The unmatched utility of the AW trumps them all, especially now that I am getting older and fixated on tracking my health and activity. My daily driver is a black stainless with a "James Bond Goldfinger" nato style strap. I even added a "dress" AW, gold stainless with a nice leather band so that I have something to fit every occasion.

tom2517

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
I do wear mechanical watches a lot of times. But switch to AW when I workout or when I travel, especially in the US when I drive, Apple Maps and AW integration works really well.

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
I have always loved mechanical watches. I have a small collection of "nice" watches including my bucket list watch of the Omega Speedmasster "Moon Watch" that I have loved since watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. However, all of them have lived in my safe since I bought my first AW. The unmatched utility of the AW trumps them all, especially now that I am getting older and fixated on tracking my health and activity. My daily driver is a black stainless with a "James Bond Goldfinger" nato style strap. I even added a "dress" AW, gold stainless with a nice leather band so that I have something to fit every occasion.
I have the Speedy, too. Probably one of the coolest mechanicals out there. Funny you mention James Bond, becuase when you think about it, the Apple Watch does more than any Bond watch. Ok, it doesn’t shoot a laser like Pierce Brosnan’s Seamaster, but it still does a lot! :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hunter5117

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Ive got an Omega Speedmaster sapphire moonwatch, Grand Seiko GMT, various Seikos and three Oris Aquis limited editions and up until a few weeks ago I’d cycle between them each day whilst my Apple Watch was on my bedside table where I’d just use it as a sleep tracker. One day decided to wear my Apple Watch to see if I could get back into it, and managed to lock myself out in the rain with my phone inside the house, so I rang the missus off my Apple Watch and she come back and let me in - I’ve been wearing it ever since 😂

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Kind of funny when I check the time on my Apple Watch (left wrist) to set the time on my mechanical (right wrist). I won't give up either.

My Apple Watch is useful. My mechanical is beautiful.

My Apple Watch will be replaced in a few years. My mechanical is a life-long possession.

I'm fond of my Apple Watch. I have genuine affection for my mechanical.

My Apple Watch will end up in a recycle bin. My mechanical will end up with a friend or descendent.

I bought myself my Apple Watch. My wife gifted me my mechanical.

My Apple Watch is a cat. My mechanical is a dog. (Reverse that if you're a cat person.)

jettie1767

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I was an avid collector of mechanical watches from Daytona, Panerai, Breguet, Patek, etc. They are all gone now and replaced with the AW. I can’t bear the thought of not completing the activity rings everyday on the AW. So, my mechanicals never saw the light of day and ended up spending its time on winders. I decided to sell all of them and put my money in investment vehicles instead. I’ve gotten every single iteration of AW and will continue to do so. I can’t even get myself to move to a Galaxy phone because I will lose those rings!

Reactions: Hunter5117

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Love mechanicals and find the health functions of the Apple Watch cool. My compromise is that I got a garmin fitness band with heart rate monitor and still wear my mechanical watch. If Apple would make a fitness band, I’d be all over it.

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
I sold my Omega Seamaster immediately after getting my Apple Watch. I had planned to occasionally swap between the two, but I knew right away that I didn't want to give up any of my fitness tracking (the three rings, steps, etc.). I told my wife it was with the caveat that I could get another luxury watch in the future, but who am I kidding? 10 years from now an Omega/Rolex, etc. will look essentially the same and do the same things, but a future Apple Watch will have capabilities we can't even imagine.
I kept all (14 - not kidding) of my mechanical watches (a few Omegas, Breitling, Rolex, Tag, AP, Panerai, Lange and Sohne) - and wear them on my left wrist. I wear my Apple Watch on my right wrist. Good compromise, but I am perhaps the exception as most people won't have collections like mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.