Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utzelu

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2020
I started getting interested in watches in 2014 and since then I bought around 10 of them, all under or at max. $1K. So it is not that hard for me to switch almost exclusively to the smartwatches. Unlike others, I have not invested/spent a large amount on traditional watches. But although I still like mechanical watches, the AW is just too valuable for me to give it up. Notifications, calendar, activity tracking and a lot of other small features are much more useful to me than having a heavy piece of jewelry on my wrist. When I feel the need to appreciate a mechanical watch, I take one from the watchbox and keep in on the desktop, while I work in my computer. Another thing is, the excellent comfort on the wrist of the AW made wearing mechanical watches (especially with SS bracelets) just awful. After a couple of years on the AW, having weight on my wrist is not tolerable anymore. I won't sell the other watches, but I won't be buying new ones either.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Remember this is an Apple Watch forum so opinions will be biased more towards the AW. Post a similar thread on an Omega or Rolex forum you will get the exact opposite. Trust me I have lol.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Remember this is an Apple Watch forum so opinions will be biased more towards the AW. Post a similar thread on an Omega or Rolex forum you will get the exact opposite. Trust me I have lol.

The difference is that people in this thread have tried both; mechanicals enthusiasts/snobs probably haven‘t.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I kept all (14 - not kidding) of my mechanical watches (a few Omegas, Breitling, Rolex, Tag, AP, Panerai, Lange and Sohne) - and wear them on my left wrist. I wear my Apple Watch on my right wrist. Good compromise, but I am perhaps the exception as most people won't have collections like mine.
Edit - original message I did was Deleted. Not constructive. Mods if you see this remove please. Thanks.

Last edited:

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
So you’re one of these that I pointed out in an earlier post. Dual wielding watches. I just can’t get into that.

I wear two watches around the house and I'm almost always in my house. Unfortunately, I find it embarrassing to go out in public with two watches on, so I usually pick one.

I shouldn't care; my wife says "you're old, no one is looking at you anymore". I wish I didn't care because I enjoy wearing both.

So yeah, I dual wield. My mechanical is my slow, main-hand weapon (I don't apply poisons).

ElDuderino91

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2020
I was always a mechanical watch user. My old King Seiko was my daily watch and never left my wrist. For special events I took out the more expensive watches. Since I own the AW I remember one evening going out with a mechanical… I could sell them all but still love them too much.

techtechtech

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2017
UK
Apple watch has taken over for me, plain and simple, easy to read in almost all situations, particularly at night. Light weight, comfortable (Nike strap), always on display, notifications, messages, phone calls, activity, weather, the list goes on. Oh, and it tells the time ? ?

utzelu

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2020
It would be interesting to learn how many of you actually own a luxury watch and switched to the AW.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
It would be interesting to learn how many of you actually own a luxury watch and switched to the AW.
Only one I still own is a Rolex 14060, which I will keep, but it only sits in its box now ;-)
Had quite a few though: Breitling, Rolex, JLC, Glashütte Original, Sinn, Graham, Girard Perregaux, Panerai, IWC, …

Since getting my first AW, it‘s the only watch getting wrist time so…..

Reactions: the future

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I am in this category. Went a little nuts years ago when I got hooked on mechanical watches. I still have them, but I bet I wear one or two of them about twice a year. The Apple watch just has too much going for it. Making it easy to change bands was a brilliant idea too.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
I was always a mechanical watch user. My old King Seiko was my daily watch and never left my wrist. For special events I took out the more expensive watches. Since I own the AW I remember one evening going out with a mechanical… I could sell them all but still love them too much.
Handful of random comments:

- As a fellow Old, IDGAF what other people think. Try it, you'll like it;
- I've switched to dual wield inside and outside, no one notices or cares;
- I do usually wear long sleeves (to keep the Texas sun off my skin);
- I have the  Watch on all the time;
- I rotate through my three mechanical watches, which gives a great deal of experience on weight, visibility, band/bracelet comfort, and usability (for example on chronographs).

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
For years, before the AW, I used my Omega Seamaster 300 mechanical watch as my daily watch. Additionally I have a black ceramic Hublot Big Bang and a gold/steel Bvlgari. Now, all these watches are gathering dust in their boxes ever since I got myself an AW.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
I have a few nice mechanical watches, Oris BC3 and Nomos Orion, they have barely had any wrist time since I got my Apple Watch.

It is a shame, as they are great watches, but on the rare occurrence I do wear them I find myself trying to pay for things with them etc.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I never had a Rolex or Omega watch. I did have a a nice TAG and nice Citizen Eco Drive. Both of those watches required regular maintenance to keep running properly. The moment I got an Apple Watch I sold both. The Apple Watch keeps better time and has the advantage of changeable faces, workouts, easily changeable bands, etc. This year I ponied up and treated myself to the Stainless Steel one and have absolutely no regrets. Yes eventually you have to upgrade but I like the functionality that much. I would never go back to a dumb watch.

utzelu

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2020
Are you conflicted by the fact that your mechanical watches are not used as much as you'd like? I am personally consumed by this to the point that I have my watch-box on my desktop and take a watch and hold it in my hand when working on computer. But I still cannot make myself wear one instead of the AW.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I eventually started to feel like it was a waste of a great watch and money to have my Omega Seamaster sitting in my nightstand in the box. That was the last nice watch that I owned. I've had several Omegas, one Rolex, Hamiltons, and some micro-brand watches. Never at the same time. I used to occasionally flip them for other watches.

The Apple Watch quickly took up all my wrist time, and I have had every series except the 6. It would be extremely hard for me to go back to just a dumb watch at this point. I've even toyed with Garmins, as the battery life sometimes gets on my nerves with my Apple Watch. Even stepping down to that and losing the ability to act on notifications would be a bit difficult. I'm really hoping that battery life takes a big leap this year, if the rumors are true.

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Seamaster owner here but since buying the wife an AW S6 I have been increasingly jealous! I already wear the Omega on one wrist and a FitBit Charge 4 on the other so not worried to double wrist. However, I have tried on the wife’s 44mm and it’s about the same size as my watch so feels slightly too big compared to the FitBit. To those who double wrist, what size AW you wear?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Seamaster owner here but since buying the wife an AW S6 I have been increasingly jealous! I already wear the Omega on one wrist and a FitBit Charge 4 on the other so not worried to double wrist. However, I have tried on the wife’s 44mm and it’s about the same size as my watch so feels slightly too big compared to the FitBit. To those who double wrist, what size AW you wear?

I have a 44mm titanium. I did find it a bit much with the metal band since I already have so much metal with my Rolex on the other wrist. When I wear the Apple Watch with the simple fabric sport loop, it's pretty good.

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
I have a 44mm titanium. I did find it a bit much with the metal band since I already have so much metal with my Rolex on the other wrist. When I wear the Apple Watch with the simple fabric sport loop, it's pretty good.
Thanks! As time goes on I’m being tempted by the 44mm, if someone is going to make a comment on the 44 then they will on the 40 so why sacrifice screen estate! I like the idea of the Nike sport loop as like you, I think it will balance out against my omega…. Although as it’s summer I have the alligator strap on!!

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
I have had my Seiko kinetic for more than 15 years. It works reliably and keeps great time and i wear it nearly every day. Never have to worry about scratches or charging it. It does the same things that i bought it for and don't have to worry about updating or upgrading it. I don't have to worry about a wireless provider raising cost of operating it. If i want features beyond keeping time, i use my iPhone 6 which works as well as the day i bought it with no scratches. Apple executives have gotten enough of my money.
Saving money is not crime.
Majority of Americans don't have 500 dollars saved.
Using mechanical watches also means updating the time every few months or so. Unless of course, you don't really care whether the watch shows the correct time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.