Who of you prefers the Apple Watch over his Rolex/Patek/Omega/Breitling/etc?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by scarab0, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I have a Tag and Rolex I haven't worn in years, since the OG Apple Watch. Just love the Apple Watch and what it brings to the table.

2. advan031 macrumors 6502

I switch back and forth between my mechanic watches and Apple watch. Both have their on wrist time.

3. lalanik macrumors newbie

I disagree. Not relying on electronic devices on a daily basis is what conveys mental sharpness.

Wearing a timeless, mechanical watch that can be passed from generation to generation rather than a digital watch that has to be charged on a daily basis and is updated annually hardly portrays being devoid of the times and appearing conceited. My skills are what has allowed me to gain my patients' trust and not wearing material objects to convey "being with the times".

4. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

I have just got rid of my Apple Watch for a Rolex. A watch is after all both functional and the only piece of jewelry that I wear. Have a Hermes edition on order but will likely send it back. Always wanted a Rolex and having now finsllly got one don’t want to take it off.

5. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

You've descended into an irrational rant and taken it all quite personally. Try reading again and following the points made when you're feeling less emotional.

There's a reason why the elderly struggle with tech and need help. Bit odd that you'd even try to argue that point, and this quote from you below is so woolly to be essentially meaningless! It also shows you didn't understand the original point, because this is not a rebuttal. It doesn't follow the necessary form to be a rebuttal. It's just ranty and off-key. Calm yourself man!

"Not relying on electronic devices on a daily basis is what conveys mental sharpness.."

6. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

I never though I will wear other watch then my Rolex sea dweller that watch is time pice for work and dress.
    I have AW too but for deferent reason Medical. it has a oppress I dont care about sport so to show me the time? for email and communication I have my iPhone 99% of the time.
    with the AW I find myself need to buy one every year that a new one with more option comes out so no more expensive SS that will cost me $900
    and yes only tech people are buying AW?

7. Mike75 macrumors newbie

They all have their place. However, I would never totally replace my Omegas and Rolexes with the AW, for several reasons. One, the battery life sucks, which is never an issue with my mechanicals. Two, the AW is ultimately disposable - it has a 2 to 3 year life span. My mechnaicals will outlast me. Three, its not a great value due to its limited shelf life. It would be much more compelling at a lower price point considering its planned obsolescence. Ultimately, they are all luxury items - they are nice to have but not necessary.
    That said, the AW is great for the weekends and vacations since I can leave my phone at home and still be connected. Which obviously is something my mechanicals will never be able to do.

8. lalanik macrumors newbie

Not being emotional. You made the statement, "if you want them to trust you - it's better to appear like you're with the times and devoid of conceit" and I was addressing that an AW on my wrist proves nothing. A healthcare provider that is up to date with current studies and treatments should determine if he or she is modern and in touch. If you trust your healthcare provider by appearance...well to each their own...

Just because the elderly may struggle with tech and need help does not mean they lack mental sharpness. You'd be surprised how many of the elderly can recall contact information for 20+ individuals yet those who "appear with the times" cannot recall anyone's contact number if their personal device were to run out of battery. A bit odd to make the statement that being proficient in technology conveys mental sharpness.

PS. I can't believe I got suckered into debating on an online forum.

9. richard371 macrumors 68020

She does kind of come of as indirectly saying a mechanical watch is for old men lol.

This is an Apple Watch forum of coarse people will favor it. Go to one of the huge rolexforums.com and ask about the aw vs Rolex and it will a different ball game.

Also in Asia it’s amazing how many people wear nice mechanicals.

The aw is not a watch at all. It’s a disposable computer on your wrist.

10. Ffosse, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

Ffosse macrumors 68000

I have a Tag Heuer Monaco and Carrera, plus a Tissot T-Touch solar expert and a pretty nice Rado. I've also got a cheap Bulova and a Casio G Shock which is radio controlled and from which I get the time to set all my other watches. Many people think I'm odd for having 7 or 8 watches, but that is quite a modest collection compared with some. I like all my watches, though; they are all very different in looks and function (apart from time telling).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My AW3 sits unused. I don't know why, but I can't seem to get enthused at the idea of wearing it again. I may try wearing it on my right wrist whilst wearing one of my others on the left to see how I get on.

I loved it when I first had it, but slowly started appreciating Swiss automatics more...it is pretty cool to change whatever track I'm listening to from my wrist, though, but I can't think of any other function I miss. It is more accurate than my mechanicals which are typically out by about 5 to 10 seconds a day whereas the AW is spot on with internet time. I'm not your average user, though. I have cancer which is incurable but treatable and I bought both Tags this year whilst undergoing chemotherapy; probably a spot of retail therapy to cheer me up. They cost many times what the AW did. I'm an impulse buyer - I went to the shopping centre last Thursday with nothing much in mind other than to buy some food. I walked out with the £1700 Carrera - it seemed a bargain with £500 off its normal £2200 price tag. The Monaco I bought in April for just under £4k. The Tissot was £760 and I don't know what the Rado cost as it was a gift (it's from around 2006 and they don't make that model anymore).

I've just fired the AW up and am updating to watch os 5 now. It seems such a waste to have it and never use it - I wouldn't sell it, though, just keep it until it becomes unusable due to the battery.

11. HESH99 macrumors newbie

Reading these posts has been very helpful. Seems to me that an Apple Watch is just another source of distractions and creates an illusion of usefulness so despite trying on a S4, I'll stick with my mechanical watches.

12. _steel macrumors newbie

I’ve worn my mechanical and automatic Swiss watches a total of twice (both for formal events) since I purchased my Apple Watch a year ago. The fitness functionality of the AW simply outweighs the jewelry-factor of a Swiss timepiece in my day-to-day life. Having said that, everybody values those two elements differently.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I have always admired a nice looking watch.
    Men wear them with pride. One gentleman took some time and told me his story regarding his Rolex.
    After hearing the story I hope many more sons have that type of experience of being handed down a nice watch.
    The watch was far from perfect and those stories seemed to have made some terrific memories.

Me, I love the Apple Watch. However, it’s nothing more than a disposable device.

14. Akrapovic macrumors regular

Akrapovic

Depends what you want it to do. It's only as much of a distraction as phone notifications are. You can manage those with settings and customise it to how you want it. The usefulness is far from an illusion if you're after certain things. The mechanical watch is lovely, but it won't fitness track, create a map, and sync it to Strava and other health and fitness trackers will it? It won't silently alert me to things with a tap on my wrist.

Whilst I understand why some don't like the watch, and some prefer a mechanical watch (I prefer an H pattern gearbox...I just do), it isn't a distraction and isn't an illusion of usefulness if you're sensible with your tech. And everyone should be sensible with their tech at all times and manage themselves and their tech properly.

15. HESH99 macrumors newbie

Hi Akrapovic, you’re right about what the Apple Watch can do, and I was struck by what an object of desire it was when I tried one on. My difficulty is whether or not I need that level of intrusion and distraction and whether or not I will be able to manage and control it. Last weekend I went on an impromptu stroll along the Beachy Head. My ‘phone told me how many miles I had walked, how many steps I had taken and how many equivalents of flights of stairs I had climbed. All nice to know but I already knew I had walked some distance and had climbed up and down slopes. This information added nothing to my experience, which was that it was a beautiful day out with my wife, walking along a fabulous coast line and, magically, a Spifire flew overhead (from Goodwood I assume) and put on a short display. I didn’t need to know anything else.

When I play tennis, I know if I’ve run around a lot or if I’ve been leaden (sadly, the final score seems to be independent of this), similarly out on a bike I know if I’ve put a lot into it or not. I think that knowing that my distance was 1 mile more or less than before or that I did 10, 000 rather than 12,000 steps is impressive but, I am beginning to realise, pointless for me.

I suppose however, I’ll eventually get an Apple Watch just to see if I’m right

16. DblHelix macrumors 6502

Nope. Mostly wear my Rolex GMT Master-II. Only wear my Apple Watch when working out

17. Akrapovic macrumors regular

Akrapovic

You could do what I did - buy a second hand S0 to see if the concept works. Yeah, it'll be out of date, slow and may not work with every app. But you're testing the concept of it rather than trying to get a functional watch. Judging by your mention of Goodwood (you have good taste!), you're in the UK. You should be able to buy one from eBay for less than £100 now. Probably even less since the S4 launched. And if you don't like it, sell it back on eBay. :)

For many, the Activity app works as it appeals to that part of the brain that likes badges and achievements. It gives you a visual ring to close, and when you do it gives you a badge. It's ridiculous, but it works. It works for me too - I don't know why, but it does. So if you're into exercise then Apple does it really well. It provides its own achievements and with HealthFit you can sync to the more serious apps like Strava.

I was sceptical. I didn't think I'd like it, but I love it. It does take a few weeks to get the settings right - turning off 90% of the bollocks notifications, etc. But once it's setup the way you like it, it just works so well. But, I also understand many won't like it. I was not a watch wearer before (I own a cheap mechanical watch, but it isn't used), so for me I didn't have to drop something I enjoy to try it.

18. Ffosse, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018

Ffosse macrumors 68000

I keep saying I'll wear my AW some day for exercise but never get round to it. It's a bit like an automatic in that it will stop in 2 days if not powered up.

I have 2 automatics and quite fancy one of those watch winders on Amazon as sometimes I go to pick up one of my watches and it's stopped. They only have around 40 hours power reserve. Not a problem for my Tissot or Rado, though, as they are quartz.

19. dthiss01 macrumors newbie

dthiss01

They are too different, I prefer to wear one of my Rolex’s, but they don’t have the same functionality. I have a Tag Heuer Connected (first generation) that I used extensively when I had an Android device. It is basically useless when connected to an iPhone. That is why I bought the AW. I will most likely sell it.

20. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502a

SisterBlue22

I have an Apple Watch, and I have several $1200+ Michele watches, and several other less expensive mechanical watches. I wear a watch most every day - different ones on different days, depending on my mood. I do wear my Apple Watch the most, but there are still days when I'm getting dressed and I just feel like putting on one of the Micheles. I just go with whatever strikes me on that day.

21. an-other macrumors 6502

I pretty much stopped wearing a watch prior to the Apple Watch. Time was easy to obtain through phones, computers, etc. I also was a bit flustered at the constant maintenance costs I was paying IWC every two to three years. Those costs alone were multiple times the purchase price of the watch.

I from time to time would rock a Casio Analog or G-Shock when I was in a casual situation.

22. HESH99 macrumors newbie

Cheers, good advice. I’ll have a look on eBay and give it a try. Yes l’m in the UK and go to the main Goodwood motoracing events: Members’ Meeting; FoS and Revival.

23. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

Have been rocking the AW since Series 0 day 1. Unfortunately, my Omega Seamaster {looks like the Bond one} and my Tag SE/L have been relegated to watch case. Both are quartz but close enough. Wanted to wear the Omega to a wedding last month but battery was dead. Good thing I pulled it out a month before as these days, the watch has to go back to Omega for a change.. looked awesome at the wedding :) but the one wearing killed a perfect rings month for me and a 500 day streak :(
    Anyway, will keep both for dress up. No more non-apple watches unless I can get my hands on a black Bond Omega Seamaster :)

24. barjam macrumors 6502

I no longer have any use for non-smart watches. I got rid of all but my dive watch and only use that one when actually diving.

25. durangojim macrumors regular

I wear my series 4 every day because I have had an episode of a fib. Prior to that I would wear my Rolex, Omega, or Panerai which I still prefer.