Who of you prefers the Apple Watch over his Rolex/Patek/Omega/Breitling/etc?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by scarab0, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

This post is hilarious.

2. Akrapovic macrumors regular

Akrapovic

3. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Just purchased an SBSS S4. I normally wear a Rolex Submariner daily or Shinola chronograph. I always held off getting an AW because I like wearing a mechanical watch and felt the AW should be an everyday watch if you're really going to wear one. I will see how it works into my life. I really feel at this point I will wear my luxury watches less and the AW more as a everyday/fitness watch.

4. trillionaire macrumors newbie

trillionaire

I'm not big on watches, but I don't really think it's a necessary comparison. It's like having a vintage Ferrari and a brand new one. You love both but they are two different cars.

The vintage one won't have the capabilities of the new one but will still look classy and perfect for a cruise around town or to an upscale gathering. Whereas the new one will be flashy and capable though maybe not one you take to the opera but rather a gathering of friends or younger people.

I would chalk it up to a matter of where the shoe fits but definitely both are nice to have if you're able to.

5. BillyBurke macrumors newbie

I own four Rolexes I have acquired over the years. I finally gave into my neighbor's and wife's insistence (nagging?) and ordered an AW4 (GPS/CELL). I am looking forward to getting it, but anticipate wearing the mechanicals from time to time. I realize there are probably copyright issues, but I
    really wish I could put the Rolex Daytona face on my soon to arrive AW4.

(I still intend to buy a Rolex Daytona when I can get one for "mere retail". )
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    I have never had one simply stop running either...from my first 1964 DateJust through a 'President", Submariner, and Air-King.

6. tom2517 macrumors member

It already has for me. I have consolidated my mechanical watch collection from quantity to quality, and wear them when I feel like it or for black ball. Most of the time I just wear AW, and like you said, smart watches are still in their infancy, gods knows what else they will be able to do 5 or 10 years down the line.

7. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

My Rolex Sea Dweller 17 years old for the last 8 years it sitting in my night drawer and only occasionally i take it out no problem and no need automatic winder (I stop wearing it daily because i broke my hand above the wrist very badly)

8. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

I have had multiple Omegas over the years. I finally ended up selling my last Seamaster about a year ago, as I was just never wearing it anymore. The Apple Watch has become way to big a part of my life.

9. swandy macrumors 6502

I had a Breitling and two Tag Hauer watches when I got my first Apple Watch (Series 0). The two Tags are gone and still holding onto the Breitling - more because of the ridiculous low prices I have been quoted for selling it than because I wear it (which I don't). Now have a SBSS Series 4 and don't even wear my SGAlum Series 2 anymore - planned on wearing to the gym but wear the S4 all the time.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

As much as I like the Apple Watch, I’m still on the onward trend of purchasing more mechanical watches, which I have added least five over the last three months now. And the Apple Watch is a great tool, but it’s also provoked me to really appreciate hardware with mechanical watches, and the simplicity of just having the time of day without all the functionality of the Apple Watch when I don’t need it, and there are more appropriate occasions for mechanical watches in my opinion as well. There really is a perfect balance when I want a smart watch, but I certainly gravitate towards mechanical watches just as equal, if not more.

11. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

with all the respect I can't sail my Rolex I just will keep it and buy one more in the further the Apple watch is the one I am using now daily but can't get in touch with it just keep buying every new model that come out and sail the old one for peanut.

12. Thejameslavis macrumors member

Thejameslavis

These big steel watches look like old man attire. Sat with a business partner and his Rolex. Pair a series 4 with a good strap and it’s far nicer looking. Plus an s4 dues shout 10000 more useful things than just tell time

13. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

U R right I am not young but dont fill old yet and yes my Rolex shaw Professional

14. Thejameslavis macrumors member

Thejameslavis

I’m 40 and still think they are from a different era. Doesn’t have the wow factor that a series 4 does. No single watch in a shot should be thousands of dollars. Yes, Apple watches are disposable but their capabilities increase exponentially

15. nepatriot macrumors newbie

nepatriot

Returned an AW 4 almost a week ago, after an extended trial due to extended holiday return period. Actually started with ALU, then upgraded to SS right before Xmas. So tried 2.

Many of the same sentiments on this thread: I'm a long time mechanical watch fan and chronic flipper of dive watches. Doxa, Sinn, Damasko, Squale, Precista, Seiko, etc. Love the look and feel, especially of modern vintage renditions. The history and craftsmanship.

The AW is a more of a device, not a work of art or craftsmanship. Androgynous design. No soul like quartz watch. Delicate, fragile, like a "dress watch", yet also cheap looking like a Fossil, Swatch, or an exercise tracker. Tacky like a Shinola: if a watch says something about the owner, like a Shinola, its, a mark of someone trying to be trendy who hasn't a clue how foolish they look.

Mechanicals all have their individual character: some runs fast, others slow; the owner gets to know how to coax the best performance out of by overnight reseting position, how much activity keeps the mainspring at optimum tension, etc.

With an AW, any uniqueness at all is either a defect, or bug to be fixed with the next OS upgrade.

A week after returning the AW SBSS, I bought another one. And it feels right at home wearing it.

Here's what I came to realize. First, when I went back to wearing my mechanicals, I realized I never look at my wrist, except for appreciating and enjoyment fo the watch. Hardly ever to tell the time. I have my phone out so much, and I never have to set it, so 95% go the time, I look at my phone. Then I realized, because hand winding mechanicals too much can be bad, many times I put on the mechanical I want and head out, figuring I'll set it later when it's self wound itself. And then often don't bother setting it.

I don't use my mechanical to tell the time when driving at night, to in dark places at night, because the lume had faded too much.

Second, in contrast, I realized I was always looking at my AW for the time, and not so much my phone. In the dark too: tilt my wrist and I can see the time, anytime, always spot on, never have to set it.

Third, in addition to the time,

Fourth, I can see a number of other things at a glance. Sure, I can get all that from my phone, and what's a few extra seconds to get it out of my pocket.

But I was doing the same for the time: getting my phone out of my pocket.

Last, an AW's appearance can be vastly improved by the strap. It can be made to look less androgynous, or not like a fitness tracker, by using an analog watch face, and a strap adapted from the world of mechanical watches. Not talking about the Apple straps and bracelets. I've ordered 2, and will post pics when I get them in a few weeks.

What I came to realize is this: why wear something on my wrist that I interact with occasionally, for just 1 thing, and it's not always accurate, or even visible. Why not wear something that does that 1 thing 100% accurate, 100% of the time, anytime I want, PLUS it can with the same ease tell me a number of different things as well?

And if I want, there are times I don't have to carry the phone in my pocket.

Right now I'm holding on to my mechanicals. Figure to wear them on more formal occasions, or when I just plain feel like it. Time will tell how that will turn out for me.

This is my discovery. Your mileage may vary.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you’re someone that utilizes the capabilities of the Apple Watch offers, then yes, you can justify the price point. It is more Dependent what you want it for. But by no means does a smart watch, (No matter what Apple charges), even competes with a mechanical watch in terms of being more elegant and classy, both mechanical watches and smart watches have their place, but they are very much both different depending on the occasion too.

17. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I have been wearing my AW for over 1 year. I still keep wanting mechanical watches.
    The ones that I want are much more expensive than AW.
    And I used have these watches- SubC and Nomos. I want them again.
    But I cannot justify buying them because I will not wear them. They will be in the drawer and be taken out occasionally for me to toy with.
    Apple Watch in invaluable to me. It does so much.
    OTOH, mechanical watches only tell time.
    I am a practical person and I cannot come up with one practical reason to buy another mechanical watch.............

18. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

Mechanical watches like Rolex Omega snd other from that class are TIME PICE they will last for many many years the AW for me it one year watch and will not last only for few years but after that all said I still keep my Rolex but wear my AW daily and replacing it yearly

19. richard371 macrumors 68020

Mechanicals are like classic cars now. Many people love classic cars. They hold their value and go up, last, but not practical at all. AW is far more useful but has no emotiional attachment and will be in a landfill in a few years