Who owns the glossy screen Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madisonm, Jul 6, 2011.

1. madisonm macrumors newbie

Just a simple poll

If cost wasn't an issue, if you could buy a new Macbook Pro would you opt for the antiglare or keep your glossy?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think I would actually keep the glossy. I know many people don't care for it, but I like the look better.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

4. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I'm happy with my baseline glossy 15"

...and I have money to save for more memory and to pay bills.

5. nizmoz macrumors 65816

For photo editing the glossy is better as it has more accurate colors. I have the glossy and love it.

6. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

7. Icekill macrumors newbie

I purchased the standard glossy and i must admit that i won't every buy a glassy creen again. It's not a big issue for me as I plug my macbook into a 27" non glossy monitor for work, but else i would be tired of the high reflections already.

If you have the money and are going to use it to code as i do, get the matte one.

For games or watching movies, the glossy is probably a better and cheaper choice.

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

9. stefmesman macrumors 6502

glossy and happy :) i edit photo's and video's, and i find them most of the time more color accurate as most people also have glossy tv's and glossy photo's. i like the black bezel better. i do not mind the reflections, not that there are many.

10. davmcn macrumors regular

definitely glossy. Matte just doesn't look right.

11. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

I have the Anti-Glare screen and I would without a doubt buy it again if i had to make the decision again.

12. AlanFord macrumors regular

13. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Glossy, I like the colors and the added stoutness it gives to the lid/screen.

14. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

A few years back Apple tried to cram them (glossy) down our throats by taking away the standard (at no cost) anti-glare they had used for years. It was a beautiful screen.

In a typical Apple marketing move, they spewed the lie about "All the Customers have been clamoring for Glossy" or something to that effect.

So instead of offering Glossy as an option, Apple took the cheap way out, by taking away our ability to choose. Which in many cases, Apple actually believes we are incapable of doing for ourselves.

They proceeded to build all displays as Glossy, thereby reducing the parts and models they would have to keep in stock.

After much customer push back and complaints, most of which Apple kept secret, they finally woke up to the fact that their core customers, especially long standing professionals wanted anti-glare, and like myself, refused to buy Glossy.

In fact Glossy is a bad way to describe the display, because as you know on a Mac it's the only Glass Screen used for a laptop display.

By using Glass it's shiny and toylike which is impressive looking at a glance in the store, but in actual use, to the experienced user it's like a mirror. A perfect mirror. In fact my wife uses her's to put her makeup on it reflects her image so perfectly.

The moment Apple returned to offering the anti-glare, sales shot up, yet we knew that Apple was cheating us by charging for something that was the standard screen for over a decade.

But hey! That's Apple Greed and Apple Tax at work.

Steve Jobs, just loves screwing customers in little ways that only he can explain away to those who worship him.

15. madisonm thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the 2.3 quad core i7 with 4GB and HR Antiglare 15". I returned it because I originally wanted the HR Glossy. So I ordered the HR Glossy one, and its en route, but I'm worried that I'm going to regret my decision after seeing all the negative things people say about Glossy on here! So pretty much I have the exact value of the AG on an apple gift card now so I could switch out at no additional cost. So hard to decide! :(

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Jury still out, but leaning to glossy... I think it's aging eyes. Matte finish does minimize contrast at least a little. I used to love low-contrast typography in web sites. Even in my own stuff, at work I'd take the trouble to mess around with font colors and backgrounds in... wait for it... Terminal. Yeah. Coding dark blue on blue-grey, stuff like that. The black on white was too sharp to look at all day.

Not now. I like black on white. Of course I no longer spend 10-12 hours a day looking at a screen, either. I do notice myself squinting sometimes on sites like PopMatters where they use some lower-contrast scenarios. I think it would be even worse with a matte screen.

But reflective issues are another story, sometimes in the evening I am bothered by reflections on the glossy when watching movies, and once I notice that, then no matter what I do or how I change the lighting or the angle, I cannot ditch consciousness of the reflections. Makes me nuts!

Still figure glossy is better for me going foward. But If I were 40, or younger, I'd be hating on glossy in this very post. That WAS me.

17. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

18. Philflow macrumors 65816

Glossy al the way. Deepest blacks, highest contrast, most vibrant colors.

Antiglare is good for photo editing.

19. cappahdap macrumors newbie

I've ordered a 15" HR Glossy. (still waiting for it to be ready to pickup - Eplehuset here in Denmark is effing slow).

Originally I would have picked the AG, but I recently started using an iMac at work, and when I realized the reflections didn't bother me at all, I chose the glossy screen for the mbp. The colours are awesome. Very nice to do creative work on a glossy screen.

Yeah, I see can see myself in the reflections from time to time, but it never interferes or distracts me from the task at hand. It's easy to "ignore" the reflections, i think.

Also the black bezel is nice ;)

Silver/grey bezel looks nice on the previous gen mbp, but on the unibody models it looks kinda off, imo.

20. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

21. Guardsix macrumors member

Guardsix

Well I bought the HR Glossy and have been using it for about two days. I'm retired and just turned 61. I need glasses for distance vision but I wear my glasses all the time anyway. I use my MBP 15 about 5 to 6 hours a day.

So far, I have no problems what so ever with the HR glossy screen. I use my MBP in my living room while sitting in my recliner usually watching TV in the evening. I don't notice any reflections. There may be some on the edges at times but not often. The screen is crystal clear and bright although I have the screen turned down about a fourth of the way from max. This screen is far, far better than the Sony VAIO I recently had and sold!

I was tempted to buy the HR anti-glare but just didn't think the silver bezel looked very good on a PC that I will probably try and sell in three or four years. It already looked old to me! Just my opinion.

22. aluren macrumors 65816

Anti-glare for sure. Hate working in the sunlight with my glossy MBP... I do like the black bezel more than the silver though.

23. Sieben macrumors newbie

Hi-Res glossy and love it!
    I checked the AG at the apple store and didn't like it, feels cheap.

24. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Definitely glossy :) I love mine. I adjusted the color profile so that it is more comfortable for me to look at. I feel that the colors the glossy screen produces are a lot higher than what the anti-glare could give me.

25. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

fyl