Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
People keep bringing up sunlight, why?

Please take a picture of your AG MBP in sunlight. It's unusable still. Unless I got a lemon.

AG's main benefits come from in door use, maybe against a poorly tinted window, or cubicle overhead lighting that's out of your control.

Glossy's advantage is superior color reproduction and contrasts.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
glossy not for me

I've got glossy and while not as bad at first as I thought, after a year I was really angry that I couldn't get anti-glare (I have the 13inch and no desire for 15inch due to size not cost)

But my usage scenario is at work near windows with lots of flourescent lights overhead. When I'm at home my glossy screen was just fine.

I got an anti-glare film for the screen anyway so now all is well :) (although I am still waiting in vain for apple to give all their pro laptops an antiglare option)

If you know you'll mainly use your laptop in places where you have control of the lighting then you may be happy with glossy. For me it was literally a mirror (and like another poster said I used to use mine as a mirror at work and it worked really nicely for this purpose but less nicely as a screen)

serenesam

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
I kind of wished the glossy was brighter as bright as my ipod touch but it isn't. If only it was brighter, no doubt glossy is superior. Does anybody notice that the glossy is less brighter than matte and by how much? I did a test at the apple store and in order to match both matte and glossy, I had to turn down the matte by 4-5 notches. Can anyone confirm this (perhaps there could be a lemon).

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
glossy.

i do a lot of photoshop related stuff and it's just really nice and vibrant. glare doesn't really show up for me.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I have a glossy MBP, but not a glassy one. Gonna be upgrading soon hopefully, unsure which to go for....

BostonBrawler

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
I have both a 13" MBP glossy, and a 17" anti-gloss.

Depends on your use. For business, I prefer the anti-gloss. Also, not a big fan of having a mirror infront of me when on a dark page.

KasperH

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
Glossy here, and i would chose the same again, its looks really impressive when comparing it to normal "work" HP notebooks. The brightness is really good and im' not annoyed by reflections at all. But then again, im never using it outside where i doubt the brightness would be sufficient to counter the power of the sun. I would choose the Hi-res Glossy over the Std-Res Glossy that i have though.

cyc94

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
:/ I think the glossy screen looks nicer especially when you're just looking at it, but I hate how reflective it is..Im watching a movie and all I see is my face LOL.

jogl

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
Hr anti-glare. Much easier on the eyes.

imo the colours on the glossy being 'better' is a false claim, they're inaccurate and exaggerated. Unpredictable response on other monitors.

You don't see the top brass lacie and quatographic displays with a big chunk of glass stuck onto them do you?

Just buy which one you like looking at most, if you want great colour accuracy don't rely on your macbook display.

lindstedt56

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
I love my hi res glossy screen. I dont buy into the whole glare thing, it doesnt bother me at all.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I bought the standard glossy first and used it for about four months before replacing it with the hi-res anti-glare. I am much happier with the anti-glare. The glossy was affecting my color calibrator and the colors are not accurate on the glossy.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
Hi Res Glossy is great :) i don't need photo accurate colours and glossy makes pictures look beautiful.

duncanbrodie1

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
For photo editing the glossy is better as it has more accurate colors. I have the glossy and love it.

You could not be more wrong about this. Any professional will tell you that the glossy screens do not reproduce colours accurately at all. Anybody doing serious photo/video editing uses matte displays.
The glossy displays seen on MBP's and cinema displays look beautiful, I agree. But that is because the blacks are crushed and colours are overly-vibrant.
If you don't believe me, try and buy a professional IPS panel monitor specifically designed for photo editing with a glossy display. You can't.
Because no one uses them.
However, the glossy displays are better in one way, which is cleaning.
They are very easy to clean and Im never worried about smudges, simply because they wipe right off.

MuddyDucky

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
In your backyard
I used to own a netbook with a matte screen. It wasn't crisp in color, but after getting a mac, I do enjoy a glossy screen. I despise it while in the sun, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
the glossy screen is awesome ... I could only see a downside if 99% of your usage was outside in bright sunlight.

using my MBP outside in the Sun? ... not even 1% ... love the glossy screen

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
imo the colours on the glossy being 'better' is a false claim, they're inaccurate and exaggerated. Unpredictable response on other monitors.

You don't see the top brass lacie and quatographic displays with a big chunk of glass stuck onto them do you?

You could not be more wrong about this. Any professional will tell you that the glossy screens do not reproduce colours accurately at all. Anybody doing serious photo/video editing uses matte displays.
The glossy displays seen on MBP's and cinema displays look beautiful, I agree. But that is because the blacks are crushed and colours are overly-vibrant.
If you don't believe me, try and buy a professional IPS panel monitor specifically designed for photo editing with a glossy display. You can't.
Because no one uses them.

You guys serious? Actual display is the same, the screen cover is what's different.

Think for a second about what a matte screen is... a surface designed to scatter light to prevent that "glare". Aka, it's just a roughened surface.
579px-Diffuse_refl.gif

Glossy is more accurate at reproducing colors on principle alone.

Jesus, there's so much misinformation going on here.

It doesn't matter what the pros use, they use whatever they're comfortable with. The science of the matter is, glossy = more accurate/better contrast. Does that "accuracy" outweigh the practicality of a matte screen? That's another question.

Before anyone makes assumptions, matte screen owner here. I'm just not ignorant to the facts of reality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.