Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I'm not interested in camping out like many here. However, most of those who don't sound like snobs, going out of their way to point out how idiotic they think it is; and those that do camp out seem to go out of their way to calmly explain how they ENJOY the event, even though they understand it's not for everyone.

The next time I drive by the apple store on launch day and see the lines of happy campers, anxiously waiting for their shiny new phones, I will remember this conversation and look at them with a newly found respect.:)

/thread

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Apple Store - the one near me happens to be in a mall. Last year they had us waiting outside in a parking garage....which was good since it rained hard most of the night.

----------

Guarantee the top and bottom bezels will be smaller this go around....

If you're worried about Apple hardware design, you must not be a big fan of Apple. They haven't gotten it wrong yet.

(No one post some picture of some odd device from 20 years ago....)

WTF?? What is up with some users here?? All I made, is a comment that the iPhone 6 will be large, due to Apples synchronous top and bottom bezel policy. Thats is factual, not an opinion. Then I got told I am worried about Apples hardware design. Then I get told I am not a big Apple fan.

Well I am sorry for offending you, your fan-ness is well over the top if some simple, concise comments got your hackles up.

You guarantee the top and bottom bezels will be smaller? Not heard that this rumour mill year. The Home buttom would then have to reduce, by a sound margin, and as there has been no rumours (I mean leaks), I do not feel that will happen.

So, the iPhone 6 will be the largest phone around per screen size, and thus the worst form factor. And yes I am an Apple fan, just reporting on the upcoming iPhone, thats all. Don't get upset if its not all bells and roses. It wasnt when antennagate happened, nor what it every year when users ask why is still a small screen. And when they stretch to a weird tall thin screen. And now there will be users screamimng that they do not want a large screen as the 4" users are being shut out, despite SJ saying that 3.5 is the only perfect size. So yes, design is never 100% right, you are incorrect on that.

I had hoped they would reduce the Home button or put it on the side, and have a great screen with a great form factor. So while I have been wanting all this time for a proper screen, I deem it sensible to wait and see what its like and what issues there may be. But good on those camping through it, I've done that before too.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
WTF?? What is up with some users here?? All I made, is a comment that the iPhone 6 will be large, due to Apples synchronous top and bottom bezel policy. Thats is factual, not an opinion. Then I got told I am worried about Apples hardware design. Then I get told I am not a big Apple fan.

Well I am sorry for offending you, your fan-ness is well over the top if some simple, concise comments got your hackles up.

You guarantee the top and bottom bezels will be smaller? Not heard that this rumour mill year. The Home buttom would then have to reduce, by a sound margin, and as there has been no rumours (I mean leaks), I do not feel that will happen.

So, the iPhone 6 will be the largest phone around per screen size, and thus the worst form factor. And yes I am an Apple fan, just reporting on the upcoming iPhone, thats all. Don't get upset if its not all bells and roses. It wasnt when antennagate happened, nor what it every year when users ask why is still a small screen. And when they stretch to a weird tall thin screen. And now there will be users screamimng that they do not want a large screen as the 4" users are being shut out, despite SJ saying that 3.5 is the only perfect size. So yes, design is never 100% right, you are incorrect on that.

I had hoped they would reduce the Home button or put it on the side, and have a great screen with a great form factor. So while I have been wanting all this time for a proper screen, I deem it sensible to wait and see what its like and what issues there may be. But good on those camping through it, I've done that before too.
Wait...am I the one who supposedly is getting all worked up?

Plenty of rumors I've read point to thinner bezels. Its not like the current iPhone has the smallest bezels it could have. There's plenty of mm to shave off here and there.

There are no "facts" as you say. Just speculation based on what may or may not be parts of the rumored devices.

We'll all find out September 9th. Just try to chill out until then.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Wait...am I the one who supposedly is getting all worked up?

Plenty of rumors I've read point to thinner bezels. Its not like the current iPhone has the smallest bezels it could have. There's plenty of mm to shave off here and there.

There are no "facts" as you say. Just speculation based on what may or may not be parts of the rumored devices.

We'll all find out September 9th. Just try to chill out until then.

Not me, I am fine.

Bezels have been mentioned, that refers to the side bezels. It is a fact that Apple has a design philosophy on bezels, they must have symmetry. So, that being the case, the top and bottom bezels will be large, perhaps a tickle smaller but they will be large, still. These days the rumourmill is a misnomer, its all leaks, it has been too accurate the last two years. Facts, well off course no, your right, but much more factual than speculative I feel, again given the accuracy of the last two years leaks.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I waited overnight for the iPhone 4. While it was fun, I won't ever do that again.

LOL, that was my first iPhone, took the day off, ended up with being told porkies by the telcos, until 1pm. But was fun I guess. No more though, I'd prefer to see first, get a feel for problems first

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Not me, I am fine.

Bezels have been mentioned, that refers to the side bezels. It is a fact that Apple has a design philosophy on bezels, they must have symmetry. So, that being the case, the top and bottom bezels will be large, perhaps a tickle smaller but they will be large, still. These days the rumourmill is a misnomer, its all leaks, it has been too accurate the last two years. Facts, well off course no, your right, but much more factual than speculative I feel, again given the accuracy of the last two years leaks.
I'm nor going to argue with you - even over leaks. We've yet to see a completely finished product. I'll wait until I see the full, released product before complaining about its design and features.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I'm nor going to argue with you - even over leaks. We've yet to see a completely finished product. I'll wait until I see the full, released product before complaining about its design and features.

Your reading too much into this. I'm not complaining, just observing. Just putting together some facts I know, and some leaks I know, just to get a feel with what may be coming. May being the operative word

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
The problem with pre-ordering for me, is my contract doesn't end until the end of the month so, I have to wait until then anyways. :/

Try preordering through Apple if it is the same calendar month. Seems Apple is a little more lax than Verizon in this regard.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Now that Apples finally come to it's senses and appears to be preparing the rumored iPhone with a useable 5.5" display, I'm planning to buy one. I'd like to think they'll release both sizes together, but there's too many conflicting rumors to have any clue. If they wait too long I'll scrap the idea since I'm already on year two of very happy Android ownership.

Pushed in that direction by Apples fear of increasing their display size, I demoted my iPhone 5 to a spare and bought several flagship Androids so as to decide via first hand experience which ones l preferred. After owning and enjoying every iPhone since the first, I must admit I was shocked at how much more I could do with Android. Yet to be fair unlike many users I'm an avid enthusiast, software design engineer and one who enjoys modding my phones.

The terrific opportunity to root, ROM, and make endless modifications to tailor the phone to my exact preferences is a huge advantage of Android. Although I employed jailbreaking on my iPhone, they fell well short of what one can do with Android.

Nonetheless as an Apple computer enthusiast of over two decades, my fondness for their products is causing me to consider the larger iPhone as long as I don't have add another six month wait to the years they've lost already.

Years ago I enjoyed how Apple put the customer first. But now with vast amounts of money stashed in offshore accts, and more money in the USA than any tech company, the only thing that they seem to care about is amassing more cash.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Now that Apples finally come to it's senses and appears to be preparing the rumored iPhone with a useable 5.5" display, I'm planning to buy one.

The current display is amazingly useable. And, you can manipulate it safely and easily with one hand as well. :)

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
So which is it?

I am getting the iPhone 6 but I don't need to be the first one to get it. I only get a new phone when my contract ends. I still have the iPhone 5. Didn't care for the 5S or the 5C. That's what I meant. I only buy new when my phone contract ends. I don't need every single phone that Apple makes.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Unfortunately I have to work but I will be swinging by the Apple store on the way home to see if I had the same luck I had last year in just picking one up on launch day. :D And I refuse to stand in the blazing central Texas sun for a phone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Now that Apples finally come to it's senses and appears to be preparing the rumored iPhone with a useable 5.5" display, I'm planning to buy one. I'd like to think they'll release both sizes together, but there's too many conflicting rumors to have any clue. If they wait too long I'll scrap the idea since I'm already on year two of very happy Android ownership.

Pushed in that direction by Apples fear of increasing their display size, I demoted my iPhone 5 to a spare and bought several flagship Androids so as to decide via first hand experience which ones l preferred. After owning and enjoying every iPhone since the first, I must admit I was shocked at how much more I could do with Android. Yet to be fair unlike many users I'm an avid enthusiast, software design engineer and one who enjoys modding my phones.

The terrific opportunity to root, ROM, and make endless modifications to tailor the phone to my exact preferences is a huge advantage of Android. Although I employed jailbreaking on my iPhone, they fell well short of what one can do with Android.

Nonetheless as an Apple computer enthusiast of over two decades, my fondness for their products is causing me to consider the larger iPhone as long as I don't have add another six month wait to the years they've lost already.

Years ago I enjoyed how Apple put the customer first. But now with vast amounts of money stashed in offshore accts, and more money in the USA than any tech company, the only thing that they seem to care about is amassing more cash.

What you view as opportunity, I view as drudgery. The last thing I want to fiddle with is my phone. Period. I just want it to work.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

I see that as a negative in my use case - coupled with the fact that most of my family and friends are on iOS and sharing/communicating is much easier within the Apple ecosystem, I always prefer iPhones and am very much looking forward to a 4.7" option.

Haven't run into anything I could do on my Androids that I can't do on my iPhone. I'm talking tasks here, not "oh you can't set a default browser". I have no need to because Safari is superb.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I tried lining up for the iPhone 4. I went to Best Buy. I got there between 8 and 8:30 am on launch day. I was maybe 15 people back. When it finally opened, the Best Buy employee said they only had one or two for upgrades for each of Rogers, Telus and Bell. They were taking people right away for those who were doing new activations at a reseller store in the adjacent mall for Fido. In the end, I wasted a couple hours and then I called to order my iPhone 4. I convinced the CSR I was going to leave if I wasn't allowed to upgrade on the phone (they weren't originally supposed to sell them over the phone).

As much as I'd love to line up and get it on the day of launch, I might just order it online this time.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Just remember if you camp out by the time you get to the store there's no guarantee that they are going to have the color or size that you want especially if supplies are limited A perfect example is last year where must stores ran out of the Gold color and some the 32gb model in some stores

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm not. Hopefully, they don't run out of stock. I will probably order online and have it delivered to my job.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I would really never ever line up for any new product but I can fully understand that some people enjoy it and have fun while doing so. Just not a thing for me.

So happy waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.