Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
Ok, let me clarify

I do like Apple products. I have a phone and watch

i like IOS for its simplicity, but I 100% agree it is showing it’s age badly now. Widgets only now is a perfect example and another example of Apple lagging behind the competition.

I don’t like Android as I find it TOO customisable and not as fluid, intuitive to use.

I DO love many of the new phones by Samsung etc...they really showcase what is capable on phones in 2020.

The ideal scenario for me would be something like an S20 running IOS.

IOS is the dealbreaker for me though, I am not willing to sacrifice IOS for the hardware available on Android phones.

Which is why I am now so frustrated with Apples continued lack of innovation

Agreed. I recently sold my AW5 even tho' I loved it, it's a killer piece of hardware, I just can't abide having to use an iphone to use all its features. Apple probably has an iphone roadmap 10 years out, with little pissy incremental updates every 12 months, while the bigger Android players do the reverse and cram everything they can possibly come up with into every new phone. Not saying it's better but at least it gives upgraders something to look forward to.

Square edges and no charger ain't going to cut it for me.

Reactions: mdkdue

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I always love the talk of fanboys and the disdain for them.
What’s more irrational behavior? 1)Not complaining about a consumer product that you or satisfied with or 2) complaining on a forum about products you don’t own or 3) Continuing to own and purchase products you hate.
Don't forget how magical it is! It really is amazing. Tell your friends!?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I will be upgrading this year only because I am still on an original SE but I generally understand and agree with the original poster sentiment.

Honestly I think Apple is just kind of out of fresh ideas on this product and so just making it better and better every year is kind of what they are going to do.

I don’t know what this means other than it might be likely that eventually whatever comes after the glass rectangle in your pocket that does everything is probably going to come from a different company.

It’s really hard for someone the size and scale of Apple to be truly innovative and come at things from a completely fresh angle. That’s not an indictment on Apple —- just a huge mega company fact generally speaking.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
save the $500 and buy a real camera... there are man small cameras in in the $500 range that will blow any iPhone Pro camera out of the water by a long shot.... of course, that's assuming one doesn't mind the extra bulk and inconvenience of carrying an extra camera on a daily basis... also. one has to really want top quality photos to be willing to carry a real camera around. (then again, if anyone's serious about photos, he/she probably be happy with just iPhone 's built-in cameras to being with)???
Err no as nobody wants to carry a big camera around they want it in their pocket

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Ok, let me clarify

I do like Apple products. I have a phone and watch

i like IOS for its simplicity, but I 100% agree it is showing it’s age badly now. Widgets only now is a perfect example and another example of Apple lagging behind the competition.

I don’t like Android as I find it TOO customisable and not as fluid, intuitive to use.

I DO love many of the new phones by Samsung etc...they really showcase what is capable on phones in 2020.

The ideal scenario for me would be something like an S20 running IOS.

IOS is the dealbreaker for me though, I am not willing to sacrifice IOS for the hardware available on Android phones.

Which is why I am now so frustrated with Apples continued lack of innovation
See as someone who has used both extensively I don’t see the s20 hardware as any better than the iPhone. Specs aren’t everything and every year we see Apple phones with “lower specs” outperform the competition.

also you may like vanilla android, I liked it quite a bit when I used it but there were enough things that I like better about apple both hardware and iOS wise that I have switched back and at this point I’m done trying other phones. Unless Apple does something just really stupid they’ve got my money in the phone market and I’m fine with it. Other phones are nice but I just don’t understand how people can act like iPhone is like multiple generations behind the competition when it just doesn’t seem to be something that can be substantiated.

Jro29

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2017
Hahahahaaa. You are Apples target audience. Congratulations. Don't forget how magical it is! ?
Huh, do you not take pictures? 5x vs 2x zoom is a big improvement. Have you ever taken a picture of a child? I guess you can make fun of me if it makes you feel better about yourself though.

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
Huh, do you not take pictures? 5x vs 2x zoom is a big improvement. Have you ever taken a picture of a child? I guess you can make fun of me if it makes you feel better about yourself though.

You know it’s actually only 2.5x zoom right? The 5x quoted is a zoom range. By that same standard the 11 Pro has 4x.

TheLocNar

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
Next year we will probably see the end of the notch, and a buttonless thumb print sensor. Behind-screen camera/fingerprint tech is being pushed out by other brands already. Apple just wants to make sure they can make it up to their standards.

That being said, I have an XS and can’t wait to pre-order my blue Pro on Friday.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Yes I take pictures all the time. I have kids of whom I take pictures. I am making fun of people like yourself of how you are amazed over 2.5 x zoom. It's still 12 MP for the last three years and you are happy about 2.5 x improvement. A $600 android phone does just as well or better. How is this impressive to you? How is this innovation? You are part of the problem. You will buy what ever they tell you too. And defend it to the end even though you have no idea of what they are giving you or what you have.

TSM

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
This is 100% true. Stick with 12 if you don’t care about the camera because even the LiDAR feature is primarily for camera which you don’t give a damn about.
Is it really true?
Would you be better off with a 12 over an 11 pro?

Jro29

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2017
Yes I take pictures all the time. I have kids of whom I take pictures. I am making fun of people like yourself of how you are amazed over 2.5 x zoom. It's still 12 MP for the last three years and you are happy about 2.5 x improvement. A $600 android phone does just as well or better. How is this impressive to you? How is this innovation? You are part of the problem. You will buy what ever they tell you too. And defend it to the end even though you have no idea of what they are giving you or what you have.
I’m not amazed. I said it’s a significant improvement over what they had before. And faster autofocus indoors is significant. But you do you.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
It’s funny because I was telling my wife (who I think is a pretty average iPhone buyer) about the new phones, and all she asked about was the camera. If I asked her about the notch, she’d look at me like I had 2 heads.

Oblivion1337

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2018
UK
There are a lot of backstory people are stuck to Apple and it’s way of new product launch. Trust, relationship, ecosystem, privacy and last bs is environment.
That’s the way how they sell their product. Not the hardware itself.
people do know those and they still follow their instinct and preferences.

If one gets that, there is no case to argue.
Has anyone thought why they include the USB-C cable alone in the package? It is to push/upsell the 20W adapter and for some fools like me MagSafe case and charger is also in the package plan. Sell the idea, screw with people behaviour. That’s how the game is played.

we aren’t very intuitive but we know what we doing.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
GUUUUYS!!! Did you forgot about the coolest feature for European buyers????
699$=799£=899€ ?????????

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Not sure what you are on about the only phones that compete with the iPhone in the photo department are other flagships and at that point it comes to preference. In the video space no one is close to Apple.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Yes I take pictures all the time. I have kids of whom I take pictures. I am making fun of people like yourself of how you are amazed over 2.5 x zoom. It's still 12 MP for the last three years and you are happy about 2.5 x improvement. A $600 android phone does just as well or better. How is this impressive to you? How is this innovation?
I’m not amazed. I said it’s a significant improvement over what they had before. And faster autofocus indoors is significant. But you do you.
Of coarse you are impressed. You are amazed. You do you as well. yes you are. Good luck with that. ? This is too funny.

Last edited:

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Not sure what you are on about the only phones that compete with the iPhone in the photo department are other flagships and at that point it comes to preference. In the video space no one is close to Apple.
Hahaaaaaaa. point made exactly. TY Don't forget how magical the camera is. Very important.

Reactions: mdkdue

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Ok so for this who do actually care about the camera (if you say so), do you not think those of us who couldn’t give a monkeys deserve something to get excited about?

Surely you can understand there are others who want to see more?
It seems to me they are continuing to develop other parts of the phone also. What do you think needs development that is being neglected?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Again..not being a photo enthusiasts can you HONESTLY tell me you can see a huge difference in quality for just the odd social and travel snap? I highly doubt the majority of people can or even care

Which was exactly my point

I suspect some people just want everything in focus. Some people can't discern subtle differences.

If you look on Yelp, you'll find a load of photos, many from phones, but some people take a decent amount of bigger equipment, and some would like to stop doing that and just use the phone.

Jro29

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2017
It seems to me they are continuing to develop other parts of the phone also. What do you think needs development that is being neglected?

The notch

edit: to be clear, I am reiterating the OPs position. I do not care about the notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coffee_Time
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.