Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I still have my original iPhone 4 that I waited in line to get with no reservation for about 14 hours on launch day. It never gave me any problems and still doesn't, except for it being a little sluggish at points. I was never a fan of the design though (I like the 2G and 3G designs much better), and the same is true for the iPhone 5.

I think I might continue to use my 4 until the next huge update, as the iPhone 5 does nothing for me (especially since it keeps the ugly design). Does anyone else still have their original launch iPhone 4/plans to continue to use it?

DanielMyst777

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
I have a launch day IP4 unlocked and jailbroken. It has been trucking well for the last 2 years. It does everything I want it to do, but, as the OP said, is a little sluggish at times especially with my JB stuff running.

Not a fan of this new IP5 either.

ematsui

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
have the launch day 4. it can be sluggish depending on what apps are open. Battery seems to drain faster and my home button will stop working for days then magically work again.

Ill be happy to get the new one

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I do as well and it has served me well. I will be upgrading - just not sure to which color yet.

Sergeio24

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
still have my launch day 4. Likely upgrading. Is there a reason they stopped doing pick ups at the store?

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I still do. The iPhone 4S wasn't an impressive upgrade at all in order for me to update, but I'll probably upgrade to the iPhone 5 soon (but I'm in no rush, the iPhone 5 was pretty dissapointing IMO).

My iPhone 4 is still running almost as good as new and don;t really seem to find the phone running 'sluggish' as some others have said.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
have the launch day 4. it can be sluggish depending on what apps are open. Battery seems to drain faster and my home button will stop working for days then magically work again.

Ill be happy to get the new one

Ditto on basically everything he said.....PLUS i'm on AT&T (whcih sucks) and have no space left on my phone. Can't wait for the new phone.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I am using a launch day 4, and will be getting the 5, it's a nice upgrade! Can't wait!

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
i have my launch day 4. this little guy's been through hell and back with me. Right now it has a completely cracked screen with the top corner completely missing revealing its innards. Have to shake it extra hard for it to register a shaking notion. Its a little sluggish too. But it surprising works perfectly fine consider it looks like i drop it off a building.

But i'm upgrading the day ip5 is available no question

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Still got mine. The stainless steel band is scuffed up from using a bumper but the battery is still going strong. I'm undecided on whether to upgrade to the 5 or not, I'll wait for all the networks to release their prices before making my mind up.

ZGXtreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
I still use my launch day iPhone 4. The Home Button is iffy at times but overall the phone still functions fine and accomplishes what I need. Won't upgrade until there's a revolutionary leap forward.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Launch day iPhone 4 here.

I definitely want a better camera. The quality is ok on the 4's camera but the time from pulling it out of your pocket to actually being able to snap a picture is pretty long. Also the earpiece speaker on mine seems to be giving out. It works but at about half the volume it should produce.

Personally I think the anodized black iPhone 5 looks great. Way better than some of the mockups that showed the black phone with a silver backplate.

LTE will be a big improvement. I'm also taking the opportunity to switch to Verizon (and hop on the family's shared plan).

The bigger screen isn't a big deal I don't think. Mostly there are just some times with the current screen size where the keyboard and status/nav/toolbars kinda squeeze the content down a bit much. Looks like that will be improved.

One question I do have is how durable the aluminum will be compared to the stainless steel band of the iPhone 4 and 4S. I've personally dropped my 4 many times, usually with it landing right on the corner of the metal band. It's picked up some scuff marks but nothing serious.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I still have my original launch day iPhone 4, has been by my side everyday for the past 2 years and 2 months. Safe to say I can't wait for the iPhone 5 now.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I do.

No question - I'll be upgrading.

This.

Bi-annual upgrading is the best way to go, you see plenty of improvements and a significant spec bump.

Hearing yearly upgraders whine, yawn, show me any tech that sees massive spec bumps every year? I'll save you googling, there isn't any.

Not a matter of finance either, I could easily buy a new phone every six months but I've really never seen the need tbh.

Malindascott

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
I've had my phone 4 since then. Even though I'm eligible for an upgrade, I don't plan on doing so. I'm going to keep my 4 as long as I can. I lived this long without the extra features, I can go longer.

utyankee

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Gotz it right here! Runs like a champ still too. Will be going into my Hall of Fame collection for items that have survived me for their full term.... this phone will be the start of the collection.

Well, when my iPhone 5 gets here!

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I do, looking forward to iPhone 5 on friday :)

BTW: I have the pre-launch iPhone 4, the ones that were delivered 1-day early...I'm assuming so not too much load was put on AT&T's servers for activation

ctc799

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
USA
I've had my iPhone 4 since launch and it's been a great phone the entire time. It's only got about two days left on it's journey, however.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
My wife has my former luanch day iP4. I have a 4S. Using her upgrade to get a iP5 and giving her the 4S. I'm excited for the HUGE update from the 4S to the 5. She is excited for good update from 4 to 4S. Needless to say we are both looking forward to the new iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.