Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StrongWindy7

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Another person with a launch day iPhone 4. Served me well, had to replace the back due to my clumsy handling of it but I'm looking forward to upgrading :D

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
My launch day iPhone 4 will be given to my wife. Had it unlocked a week or so ago by AT&T. I've kept it in a BookBook case and it's in flawless condition and runs great. Just loaded iOS 6 on it and so far, no issues. I'll be nervously using my iPhone 5 naked until Twelve South comes out with a case for the iPhone 5.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
I'm still rocking a launch day iPhone 4. I ordered it through the apple store app on my 3G, while on my lunch break at work.

I ordered my iPhone 5 through the apple store app on my iPhone 4 on my lunch break at work.

It's a weird coincidence that I happened to be working a day shift for the iPhone 4 and a nightshift for the iPhone 5.

I bought the iPhone 3G through the apple store. Waited in line and all that.

My wife had the original iPhone. I remember really liking it but being dumbfounded that apple didn't include 3G. I told her I woud go iPhone once they did it. I was using a AT&T 8525. (Kinda like the tilt)

5 years later we have 2 iMac minis, 1 MacBook Air, 1 iPad 2, 1 iPad 3, and every generation of iPhone.

My iPhone 4 has never let me down, but I'm looking forward to the iPhone 5. The only thing that ever went "wrong" on my iPhone 4 was apples bumpers. They scuffed the antennae surround.

Oh, and I've never once used a screen protector on the iPhone 4. I'm going to try to go with no case at all on the iPhone 5, but think it'll be necessary because I like the grippiness of a rubber case. It helps prop it up on its side.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
My wife uses my launch day ip4, the home button stopped working on it so I took it to be cleaned in a repair shop and I noted they would convert to white for £50 so I did that, felt like a new phone lol! after a few months i fancied having siri (I drive a LOT!!) so upgraded to 4S, gonna wait a few months until ip5 stock levels have normalised (probably just after xmas) and get one then plus then tomtom will have sorted out a dock that will work for the iphone 5. depending what the wife does on her upgrade cycle in december (4S or 5) I'll have a converted 4 and a 4s to sell to cover the cost of the 5. And when the new new ipad comes out i'll get one of those, probably on launch!

Crotalus_Joe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
I do for another 32 or so hours, then it is onto the launch day iPhone 5 :)

The 4 has served me well with only some recent issues with the home button, otherwise no issues.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I won't upgrade, mainly because the iPhone 5 essentially won't be able to do anything else than my launch day iPhone 4. And I've finally managed to convince myself that, after all, it's only a phone. I want to do calls with it, and a little surfing the web as well as shooting some pictures. I don't have to spend another 679€ on a new one.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I'm still using my launch day iPhone 4, I got a bit bored of the black and silver design so I bought a mirror blue front and back plate and also bought a gold plated frame for a Subaru WRX theme phone! It was fun taking it apart, doing a frame swap involves taking every part off it! I also bought a new battery so it runs like it was when it was brand new!

So I'm really split about upgrading! It's funny that people with Samsung S3 think it is better than the iPhone 5, I have used the S3 and yes, the hardware is great, but the OS is horrible.

Anyway, I preordered, was 6th in line on the day, and the store called me on Wednesday to tell me it has arrived and I can come in anytime Friday to get it. But do I want to? I guess I should...

Maybe, I should think, I already have an amazing phone, just imagine how much better the iPhone 5 will be!!!

I asked my wife if she wanted the iPhone 5, but she loves her iPhone 4! Hers is a white model, I modified it to have a gold plated frame covered with Zirconium diamonds, and a white Louis Vuitton design back plate to match her wallet and hand bags!!!

Last edited:

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Launch day iPhone 4 as well. Can't wait to upgrade tomorrow...home button has been playing up for a while. How long I'll keep the iPhone 5 this time around I'm not sure...if the competition is good enough might be tempted to branch out next year and break my 2 year contract. We shall see...

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
For all the people with home button issues, it's pretty easy to fix (although I have repaired about 7 of my friend's phones now). Just have to strip it down until the point of removing the front glass, lift up the home button and clean the dust and junk that has gathered under it!

I seriously hope that Apple has improved the design of the iPhone 5 home button, but I think it'll be pretty much identical!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Still use mine for the next 30 hours or so. Mine is still in great shape, but wow is it slooooow. Amazing how something that was state-of-the-art a little over two years ago is such weak sauce today. Mine will become my new clock radio and I'll officially retire my 3GS from duty, i.e. on eBay it goes.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I'm still using a launch day iPhone 3GS. Today is the last day this tired (great in its prime) phone has to be a phone. Tomorrow it should be an iPod Touch by about noon.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Yes! My launch-day (well actually a day earlier than launch day) iPhone4 will be retired on Friday. It will be off to ebay InstantSale (I'd rather not monkey around with craigslist or an auction).

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I still have my original iPhone 4 that I waited in line to get with no reservation for about 14 hours on launch day. It never gave me any problems and still doesn't, except for it being a little sluggish at points. I was never a fan of the design though (I like the 2G and 3G designs much better), and the same is true for the iPhone 5.

I think I might continue to use my 4 until the next huge update, as the iPhone 5 does nothing for me (especially since it keeps the ugly design). Does anyone else still have their original launch iPhone 4/plans to continue to use it?

I do, until tomorrow…

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Just had to have my launch day iPhone 4 replaced about a month ago - the earpiece stopped working completely. I opted to pay $150 for a replacement iPhone 4 (no Applecare) so I wouldn't have to sign a new contract and settle for the 4S. I was waiting for the iPhone 5 to release and decided to switch to Verizon since they have better LTE coverage where I live.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I'd keep my launch day iPhone 4 if it weren't for the fact that I'd be getting hosed on the service. The monthly bill includes paying for the iphone 4 over the length of the 2 year agreement. Continuing with the same iphone beyond that, you're continually paying that amount that otherwise went towards the phone cost. It's a bonus for the phone service provider.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I have a launch day 4. I used the free bumper for about 3-4 months before the rubber started to pull away from the plastic. I did give it to my GF for the past 2 months as I added a line and used a free Nokia Lumia 900. We are both expecting our iPhone 5s to be here friday.

After 2 years of use and no case or protector the only marks are on the silver band and the plastic around the edge of the glass. Looks almost new. When I wasn't holding it then it was in my pocket with nothing else in that same pocket.

iphone4front_zps741602d9.jpg

iphone4back_zps0b3ebf3f.jpg

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I accidentally spilled liquid (yes, as in beer, delicious beer, om nom nom) over my iPhone 4 with the hilarious outcome that my home button only works intermittently while pressing frantically on it with herculean effort.

I know this is fixable for a tiny, pathetic amount of unicorn sweat and tears and require me to disassemble it with great care into approximately a million pieces, which by the end, I am sure to lose some of.

Heck, I am just making up excuses to buy the iPhone 5, as I didn't see the point in upgrading to the iPhone 4S but that darn home button is beginning to annoy me ever so slightly.

In other words, I should just buy the replacement part and fix my verdammte phone...even though I want to buy the iPhone 5.

mroniger

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Gotz it right here! Runs like a champ still too. Will be going into my Hall of Fame collection for items that have survived me for their full term.... this phone will be the start of the collection.

Well, when my iPhone 5 gets here!

Still using my launch day 4....

My original iPhone made it to my Hall of Fame collection - box and all

Excluse

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Same here, and getting a launch day iPhone 5 tomorrow too.

Might look into replacing the cracked screen, unlocking, and making a little money for some new accessories. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.