Who switched to Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by strausd, Jul 22, 2011.

?

Did you upgrade to Lion?

1. Yes, I love it!

178 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Yes, but I'm thinking about switching back.

17 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. Yes, nothing special about it, but I won't switch back.

55 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. Not yet, but I plan on it!

39 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. No, and I don't plan on it.

17 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. I did, but I decided to switch back.

19 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. strausd macrumors 68030

Did you switch to Lion? Post why or why not in the comments!!!

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

No ... sticking with SL

3. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Switched for Mission Control, FileVault2, and 248 other reasons. Love the upgrade and haven't been disappointed at all. Best O/S upgrade ever.

4. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Were you a big user of Exposé and Spaces before? And when I say big used, I mean was it essential to your workflow?

5. lotones macrumors regular

You need another option between the first two, as in -

"Yes, it's great but it's not perfect. I like it enough to keep it, but not to recommend it to non-adventurous users with moderately spec'd Macs (i.e. most of my friends). Yet."

I like Lion so far, and I expect it to get much better. But the difference in user experience is so jarring that I don't know if someone not so easily amused as I would want to put up with re-learning to navigate the OS and re-tweaking preferences just to do basic tasks. Even assuming those basic tasks involve Lion-compatible apps.

Me? I'm a sucker for shiny objects. Can't beat the price though...

6. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I would consider that to fit under the third option.

7. wxman2003 Suspended

Not the first edition, or second update, nor not third, but perhaps 10.7.4 after all the bugs are worked out.

8. Jenni8 macrumors member

I'll be downloading it early this next week. I can't wait. I already have all my programs thinned down to all the tested and working apps. The ones I liked I just re-download when they are ready. Everything is all backed up. I'm predicting I 'shouldn't' have any problems being that my iMac is relatively new. I got mine when the iMac's refreshed. Bugs I've read about seem minor or uncommon. At least after reading up on all these experiences I have a better insight on how to install and what to keep my eye out for. Well at least I'll be all up to speed next week!:D

9. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I wouldn't saying taking out all the productivity features with Exposé and Spaces is minor.

Apple is a company for the average consumer, and the average consumer didn't take advantage of the more advanced features that Exposé and Spaces had to offer. So I think with Mission Control, they dumbed it down so the average consumer would understand it better and be able to use it a bit more.

10. Xeblade macrumors regular

I'm waiting till all the applications I use are compatible and waiting for all the bugs to be sorted out. Also looking for interesting features and reading reviews. Waiting to see if someone will make an Exposé application...
    Overall, just waiting...

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

12. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

I'm going to wait until 10.7.2 comes out. Hopefully by then Lion will have all the critical bugs/annoyances ironed out. :D

13. Hibernia macrumors member

Switched because at £20 no real reason not to.

I'm new to the Mac world so i'm just as confused for now with Lion as i was with SL :)

With a bit of time i'm sure i'll come to appreciate it more. One thing it has got me thinking about is now buying a trackpad for my imac. Never seen or used one but the extra options for it in Lion are tempting me to try one.

14. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

They get ya comin they get ya goin. There's really nothing special about Lion. In is an average consumer laptop OS. So for those with desktops, they make you go out and spend $70 to get the full functionality of Lion, which really isn't much. To me all the gestures are like a few little sprinkles on a cake, except with Lion, the cake itself is absent.

15. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Yep, upgraded. I voted "love it" but that's not completely true. I think I'll "love it" after a few updates when all the bugs are sorted out, just like I "love" any other version of OS X. There's really no one feature that made me go "woahhh" but there's a LOT of little things that I'm quite fond of. That and the UI improvements (which to me, personally, mean a lot) make it a worthwhile upgrade for sure. This is on my desktop, though; on my MBP it may be a different story because there I'll rely much more on MC/Spaces/gestures, etc. On my desktop it's kind of a limited Lion experience, but so far I have no complaints.

16. techbajan macrumors newbie

techbajan

I switched and I can say I wish I'd spent the £20 on an extension to my Veho wifi speakers. To me, it's all about hype. The whole resume thing is like hibernation that's been in Windows for a long time now and full screen is pretty much the same as Maximise on Windows. As for the gestures, again, more hype: I can do all those things with my mouse and get it done in one go without having to "try to get it right". I hate the reversed scrolling because I'm not using my iPad 2, I'm using my computer, which isn't the only one I need to use so when I'm on my server or at work, or even in Windows, I catch myself scrolling the "wrong" way so I had to turn it off, and what's the point of an UPGRADE with new features you have to turn off?!

Furthermore, my 1 week old i5 2.3 pauses and takes a bit longer to do things, which it didn't before I upgraded. I'm planning to do a clean install of SL (since I'd restored a Time Machine backup when I bought this) and then hit the upgrade again... if, after that, the performance still lags, it's back to SL for me. Even my HP dv3 running Windows 7 I was using in between Macs ran faster.

17. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I got it the day it came out. I really like Mission Control, the new finder and window look is nice and Fullscreen Apps for the most part are nice.
    There are a few things I'd like to be able to change, the way Sidebar items are arranged is one. Not being able to view all Photos at once in fullscreen iPhoto is another.

There are four Macs in my house, right now mine is the only one that has it one it. Too much of a learning curve for the others. My wife actually told me to stay away, she just got used to Snow Leopard and has no interest in Lion, lol.

18. Scarrus macrumors regular

I switched and I really like the new UI, especially on my MBP but they should release a patch to make the animations a bit smoother.
    Other than that Skype has crashed once on me and with my 5400 RPM HDD it's really slow to boot on my MBP(the iMac is fine) but I'l switch to a SSD as soon as they become more affordable.
    Oh and Safari is a bit buggy. Sometimes when I flick between pages back and fort the page would just get blank and I'd have to close the tab and open another one.

This and WHY THE HELL does 1 open tab in Safari(Macrumors) + Skype + Yahoo Messenger take up 2Gb of Ram?!!! I have 8Gb so it's no prob but still!!

All in all I have to say I like it though, works great, except for the animations which could be a tad smoother.

19. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yep, and I'm loving it, though I did reserve some unpartitioned space on my HDD incase I need to install SL for rosetta.

20. SlappyWhite macrumors newbie

I don't like Lion at all, but what is up with people moving back to SL? How is this a long term option? You're forced to update sooner or later unless you want to stop time. Moving to SL is a temporary solution and you're just postponing the inevitable.

21. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Switched on release date and so far I'm liking it. Bit of stability issues at times, but that's to be expected of a .0 release and part of being an early adopter.

Used Spaces and Expose a lot in Leopard and Snow Leopard, and tbh replacing main expose for mission control doesn't bother me. I can still see everything that's open, and if I want more info on multiple instances of one app I can got to it's space and use app expose, so that's fine for my usage. Still prefer having spaces in a 3x3 grid rather than linear, however real like fullscreen apps so see it as a compromised trade off and can live with it.

Love 3 finger dragging, the comment about gestures being "being little sprinkles" I disagree with it. The whole O/S experience is dictated by how good or bad the input interface is. I know there's some people who seem to think that if you have to use anything other than the keyboard then you're not a power user blah blah blah. But those people are a very small segment of the market. For me the trackpad on my MBP is brilliant and was one of the reasons I got a laptop as it wasn't something (and still is), I've always hated about Windows laptops. With Lion, the need to use a mouse is even further reduced, the same for my need to take my hand away from the trackpad and use the keyboard when not typing.

As someone who writes a lot of training content and presentations, autosave and versions will prove to be a godsend and worth the money on it's own.

22. Operafreak macrumors newbie

So far I like what I've seen. The small bugs I encountered will be sorted out soon enough. No reason for me to want to go back to Snow Leopard.

23. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Every OS X version is a different beast at 10.x.6-9 compared to 10.x.0

24. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I switched on Day 1 and I like it a lot. There are some things I don't like, such as the fact that Mission Control's thumbnails at the top are much too small to see what the hell is running on your system, and you can't move them around. Other than that, everything else is great.

25. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I like it now that I cleaned out my system a bit. Mission Control is a little annoying, but I like the idea of having fullscreen apps replace full spaces.

My favorite feature? This:
    [​IMG]