Who thinks IOS 5 is going to be huge

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ani23, May 20, 2011.

?

Do you think IOS 5 is going to be huge?

1. Definitely Yes

72 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. Good Possibility

75 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Not Optimistic

33 vote(s)
    16.8%
  4. No

17 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. ani23 macrumors 6502

Considering how much is at stake I have a feeling its going to be really amazing. Worth the hype?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think so.

I think the iPhone 4 was mostly about the hardware and this year will be mostly about the software.

I honestly think this will be the biggest software upgrade since the addition of 3rd-party apps with the iPhone 3G.

I'm talking iPhones here, but of course it'll all apply to the iPad as well.

3. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Looking forward to WWDC just for the software. It's weird, usually it's because of the phone one gets excited. Apple need to do a lot to make iOS exciting again so will enjoy watching the podcast.

4. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

good point. this thread might have been better in the iphone section.

Mods could you move it over?

5. Born Again macrumors regular

there are a few ios 5 threads - so u can kiss this goodbye

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I am frightened it's going to be very little.

I want it to be huge, and if it was another company I would be expecting it to be huge.
    The reason is, I know how bad Apple (Steve Jobs) is at allowing people to do things HE things they don't need to do, or should not do.

So whilst the iPad can do potentially do way more than it currently can (and we see when people jailbrake them and release the devices potential)
    I really think Apple will make only minor changes and many basic issues/annoyances will still be in place.

I do hope I'm wrong.

7. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I really pray that it is. I understand what I want is never going to be what I get but this upgrade I'm sure will be amazing.

Notifications and cloud services is enough in itself to make it amazing.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I want to be able to set the default browser so Safari does not pop up all the time.

Be able to create sub folders as we are limited to how many icons per folder now.

Be able to sort/arrange photo's in the photo app. creating folders and dragging pictures into folders.

The Apple video player should be able to play other formats like the 3rd party ones do.

You see, I don't want anything MAJOR, just simple things.

Or and perhaps a slow scrolling background image like honeycomb has would be a nice touch.

10. madat42 macrumors regular

I'd like it to be huge, and they'll probably introduce some cool things under the hood. I think though, they won't fundamentally change the way the interface works and even looks since they've now got millions of iPad customers to support.

11. henchman macrumors 6502a

I hope overhaul this horribly outdated UI and add widgets.

12. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

By all coolness of new function I fear that at least 75% of the user will be excluded from using those. Why ? Because of the artificial limitations by our teleco/content provider.

I can't use FaceTime via 3G.
    I can't use hotspot in Japan.
    iPad is sim-locked in Japan.
    Can't use Hulu/Netflix outside US (and other countries too)

So I fear alll the cloud stuff will be less useful because of restriction. Agree that some of them are out of control for apple but for me as end user doesn't matter : I just can't use it.

Of couse there will be some nice new function coming from apple but not sure if it will be "huge".

13. tmash macrumors newbie

My wishlist:

1) Compete redesign of notification system

2) iPad - iPhone specific pairing system (share notifications, media libraries, reply to texts from iPad, etc.)

3) "Today" screen

4) Wireless sync

5) Notification for emails received

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

They have to change it. I predict it will move away from iOS on the Touch and iPhone. They've got to optimize it for the iPad's screen size or lose even more ground to android 3.1 and later on competing tablets.

15. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

A simple thing I want is the photo app to have an option to rotate images instead of using a 3rd party app such as PS express.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It will probably be about half-way there for broad usability. You will really want the tenth version (iOS X).

For the time being, apart from enabling multi-tasking gestures, there are three other things I would realistically like to see addressed, things that mostly do not get mentioned:

• an implementation of folders that does not look like crap (I hate having my screen split apart); in the long view, it would be nice to have the option if some more efficient means of handling apps: this is iPhone stuff, time to grow up
    • real backgrounding, so you can go do other stuff; for example, I have a quarter-meg connection, and I want to watch this here 10 min video, but I cannot sit here for half an hour staring at it perloading, please let me go look at MR or something in the meantime.
    • touch targeting, especially in WebKit: when my finger comes down in a nest if hyperlinks, give me a magnifier (instantly) so I can pick the right one, instead of relying on guesswork.

Of course, arrows keys (or even keyboard customization) would be nice, but those are like pulling teeth, we will not be seeing that till past the middle of the decade (I have been using Macs a very long time, I know how these people are).

17. donnaw macrumors 65816

I also would LOVE arrow keys.

I would like to be able to delete podcasts/videos directly on the iPad. When traveling it is redundant to carry a laptop just to sync to delete these. And if not deleted they can eat up storage space.

Same for photos - need ability to delete from iPad.

I guess the big thing is having to do so much "maintenance" via iTunes. It really takes away from the portability. I can understand why they started out this way but in order for the iPad to "grow up" it must become more of a stand-alone device.

And one more thing-a user documents folder so we can open a document etc. with whichever app we choose. Version control is a bit of a nightmare when you have the same doc residing in more than one folder because you needed to use it in different apps.

18. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Huge by that it takes up a lot of space on the device's memory?

19. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I may be wrong, but I believe you CAN delete videos on the fly. Just swipe to the right and the delete button appears. I'm not sure about podcasts, but I know it used to work with videos. Photos can also be deleted. tap the curved arrow and all your photo thumbnails come up, select the ones you want to delete and voila, they're deleted.

20. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

The ipad UI needs a wholesale redesign IMO. Right now iOS is basically a glorifies app launcher and trails both Android and WebOS in functionality. The multitasking is simply awful,notification deficiencies are well documented and safari needs tabs and plugin support like yesterday.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

21. Sydde, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yes, you are wrong. Movies are not displayed in a list but in a picture browser type thing (grid array). You delete a video the way you do an app, by holding it until the close widget appears in the corner.

I believe the idea is that videos tend to be large and you may be likely to want to watch them again soon (maybe not before you have access to your computer again), so it makes sense to provide you with that option. Songs, OTOH, tend to be things you are likely to want to keep on it, as you will probably listen to them repeatedly, so the delete option is not available (I have no podcasts or audiobooks, those might be delete-able).

22. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

There's a lot I'd love to see come to iOS but I would be THRILLED if we only got the ability to delete the pre-installed apps (particularly the ones on the iPhone). Really, does anyone use that freakin Compass app they so much touted during the 3GS era?

23. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

So, I am correct, videos (and photos) can be deleted without synching to iTunes. The swipe-right technique is used on the iPhone/iPod.

24. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I say 750 to 825MB

25. MuggleReviewer, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

MuggleReviewer macrumors member

MuggleReviewer

YOU CAN DELETE MOVIES ON THE GO! Hold your finger on the movie the same way you would to delete an app and the delete option will appear in the corner just as for apps

just saw that is was already answered.

But back to the point... I think iOS5 will be huge! IMO there is no way that apple will let android and webOS gain any more momentum with their operating systems. The only reason they are currently more feature rich is because they had the ability (by being second and third to market) to add features that iOS was lacking. I think they will be playing catchup again after iOS 5 comes out. But only one way to find out and you know I'll be watching the keynote (hopefully with life streaming!!!!!)