iPad Who thinks the Air is heavier than they thought it would be?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ApplePhy, Nov 9, 2013.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I was at the Apple Store Beverly Center today looking at the new rMBPs...

An older gentleman was using one of the Airs on display and asked one of the employees if he could see any of those 'new ipad Airs' on display...when the employee told him he was actually holding one in his hands he replied 'this is the Air? It's pretty heavy...! I have a samsung tablet and it's much lighter than this'

Which got me thinking...there ARE brief moments while using my air where I actually do think it's a bit heavy...maybe because I've been using my mini this whole past year...?

The way the media (and Apple) was touting the Air as incredibly light, I was a bit disappointed the first time I held my Air...not saying it's heavy, but I didn't have the same 'wow' impression I thought I would

2. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

3. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I have an air that I picked up today at the Apple Store in Indianapolis.

As far as weight and comparison to my iPad 4 -- WoW the Air is light. And incredibly thin.

5. powerbooks macrumors regular

Especially when we are all from the same Apple tablet line, or even Nexus line..... haha :)

But for those from Samsung, I may see some disappointment about the weight, because those plastic bricks are damn light as I can tell!

6. Darkseid1701 macrumors newbie

I have an Ipad 2, Ipad 3 and an Air, and Air feels so light, and is so thin, that I am scared of pressing it hard. Air is light indeed.

7. Capt T macrumors 6502a

8. Aetherhole macrumors member

It is heavier than a lot of tablets out there still, but that's because Apple uses aluminum, which is quite a bit heavier than plastic. Samsung seems just so insistent on using plastic, which really makes their products feel cheap. I'd rather have a bit more heft and keep the quality feel, rather than sacrifice simply for weight's sake.

9. ChiTownChe macrumors newbie

I would have to agree. I ordered my Air sight unseen, and upon entering the Apple store and examining the Air wondered if I had made an expensive mistake. Safari constantly crashing on my new Air confirmed my suspicions.

10. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Going from an iPad 4 to a Mini, and then to an Air, the Air feels like a large screen Mini. Not heavy at all, but I could see how you'd feel that way after using a Mini. The Air is larger as well as a few ounces heavier than the Mini, but I dumped the Mini almost immediately after buying my Air. My wife was going to wait for a retina Mini, but bought an Air today. Light and large is a great combination. ;)

11. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I felt the same way at the apple store. Maybe the security thingy that is attached to it makes it heavier.

In any case I wasn't blown away by the air.

12. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Anything is only heavy or light in comparison to something else. That's why baseball players warm up with 2 bats or a weight on one bat. Their normal bat isn't suddenly lighter, it just feels so.

The air is way lighter in comparison to the ipad 3 or 4. I still marvel at how light it is. Over a week later.

13. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I would bet good money that ApplePhy and PowerBooks are paid Samsung shills. What they say makes no sense, is wrong factually, and tries to advertise Samsung.

14. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

The iPad 3 & 4 weigh about 1.4 lbs, and the Air weighs 1 lb. So, about 30% lighter. Not noticeable when carrying the iPad in a backpack full of other stuff, but very noticeable when holding it. This is a touch device, so presumably, you will be holding it.

You can reduce the need to hold an iPad's by purchasing a case that allows you to prop the device on your lap or table (i.e. Incase Book Jacket Select and Targus Versavu). However, these cases add bulk, so they are not for everyone.

I use my iPad Air with the Smart Cover, which can be easily removed. So, it is significantly lighter than my old iPad 3 in the Incase Book Jacket.

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If the Air is your first ipad ever then yes you wouldn't be able to appreciate the weight difference because it's actually not THAT light as some reviews exaggerate.
    But if you're an iPad veteran (with the exception of Mini) then yes, iPad Air is a lightweight device sent from heaven!!!

16. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

I can assure you I'm no Samsung shill as you call it.

From the Apple II-E to the original blue iMac, to PowerBooks to Mac minis, iPods, iPhones, iPads...I've been using Apple products my whole life, and consider myself a loyal fan. :apple:

My post was simply to share my insights on the new Air, and to hopefully listen to everyone else's as well...

I Absolutely love my iPad Air!!! :D

17. jlluna macrumors 6502

Man feels like feather compared to my ipad 3.

18. ChiTownChe macrumors newbie

The Samsung's are light. Had a chance to check them out at Costco a few months ago.

Add me to the list too.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I did kind of feel the Air felt a bit hefty when I first took it out of the box. It was obviously lighter than iPads 2-4, but it didn't feel quite WOW amazingly light. But as I've been spending time running around town with the Air in my bag, the lightness became more and more appreciable. With iPads 2-4, my shoulders were complaining after a day running around town wth an iPad in my bag. With the Air, I don't feel tired at all.

20. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

21. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

it was heavier than i thought it'd be because I owned a mini after my iPad 3, so anything seems heavy after holding a mini... despite not having the initial 'wow' i thought it'd have, it really is very nice and light for its size :)

22. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

The samsungs of the same size are 1.25 lbs compared to the iPad 1.05 lbs.

23. ChiTownChe macrumors newbie

I have Google too.

Note (READ) that I looked at them a few months ago

24. powerbooks macrumors regular

Yeah, when I called them "bricks" I was paid shills? You stupid!
    Have you checked all my posts here before opening your mouth, jeez! Read before speak! :mad::mad:

25. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The Air is lighter than what I expected but it's still noticeably heavier than the mini. The jury is still out for me regarding the Air because after using the mini, everything feels heavier if it's not featherlight.