Who wants a Verizon iPhone on 1-year contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TimShady, Feb 2, 2011.

1. TimShady macrumors member

*I know this has been discussed but the threads are old and scattered...*

For those of you getting the Verizon iPhone, who is planning on getting it on a 1-year contract IF available. Basically every phone purchased through Verizon can be had on a 1-year contract instead of 2-year, for an extra $70. It's a mystery if the iPhone will be included.

Here's the logic: $270 for the 16GB on a 1-year contract. In one year (maybe have to wait until Summer 2012 the first time) you will be eligible for upgrade pricing again. Sell the one year old phone for AT LEAST $270, and buy the new model, for $270 again.

So as long as you can get $270 for your used phone (it's only a year old, so you can probably get more) you get a brand new iPhone every year and it doesn't cost you a thing.

2. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

Me. Why? 4G LTE is available where I live (New Orleans). iPhone 5 = 4G (no brainer.) 4G > 3G

3. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Except that it is not at all confirmed or likely that iphone 5 will be 4G

4. TimShady thread starter macrumors member

I'm just wondering who will actually choose the 1-year if it's an option and pay the extra $70. I feel like it would be a good deal and worth doing, but maybe I'm missing something.

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

For me, the peace of mind knowing I can upgrade after 1 year (10 months actually) is worth $70.

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I agree, having a one year contract is a very nice deal if you know you'll want to upgrade next year.

7. hugecanoli macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. First post but long time reader.

I have been reading conflicting reports about the 1-year contract availability for the verizon iphone.

I'm a long time customer and have never agreed to a 2-year term. I'm hoping VZW doesn't decide to eliminate that option with this phone purchase. To me, its a deal breaker.

I guess we'll just have to wait until 3am to find out.

8. TimShady thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully it'll be an option. They didn't end up making special rules for data pricing, so hopefully this will follow suit. It is just another phone, right?

9. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I agree w/ this. iphone 4 on 2 year contract does not make any sense.
    You will be missing out on iphone 5/6 and still have to wait few month after iphone 7 is available.. It's almost stupid that you do this. I am gonna stay up till 3am tonight and if 1 year is not available, I won't be getting it(and I almost already think I know the answer to).. I am willing to pay more than $70 to get 1 year contract.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It would be a good idea for Verizon to offer that, since iPhone gets updated annually.

Good thing AT&T has an upgrade for us every year.

11. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I have heard no reports of a 1 year option and it is not advertised anywhere.

12. Blackandyellow macrumors newbie

This is a first post for me and is not meant to start anything, just an fyi. I've been waiting for the iphone to come to Verizon for years but at this point refuse to get it (or any other phone for that matter any longer) on a 2 year contract. I was with my friend today who really does work for Verizon in one of their retail stores so obviously I was asking him questions trying to get info out from him. They have went through training at an off site location recently and still haven't even had hands on training with an actual iphone. But basically he didn't have any info to give me so we called 611 from his house and first he spoke with customer service and they said no 1 year deal. About an hour later I called since I didn't necessarily believe it and I was told the same thing by another customer service rep: 2 year contract or full retail. She told me this specifically. This was a few hours ago. Once again, I'm not saying one way or another as we know how customer service people are sometimes informed or lack of, just wanted to pass this info on. As far as me, I will wait till 3 to see but if that's the case that's a complete deal breaker. In my opinion you would have to be an idiot to buy a phone that is already 7 month old technology and be locked into it till 2013 but if you don't mind that, enjoy.

13. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

So what did you find out at 3:00?

14. hugecanoli macrumors newbie

I fell asleep, and never got a chance to check it out. Any new information on this would be useful before I go ahead and deal with the hoopleheads at telesales.

15. hugecanoli macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone with telesales and they said a 1 year contract is not an option.

The only way to not sign up for a 2-year contract is to pay full retail.

This really is a asinine thing to do to loyal customers. Every other smartphone they carry has the 1-year contract option.

16. buffalo macrumors 65816

Bummer.

Now I'm trying to determine whether I should add a line to buy the iPhone for upgrade price, then pay the ETF (about $100) on my current line. That would be about $400 total (plus tax). Other option is to buy at retail. I'm not really to excited to sign a new 2-year contract since I bet I would like to upgrade sometime before 2013.

I was really hoping the 1 year would be available...

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I can't believe they didn't offer it. I guess if I want to upgrade soon, I'd pay full price now or later so I deferred it.

18. mclide macrumors newbie

Great idea. I wonder if the one year contract will be available in stores..

19. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

this is the exact reason why I didn't order iphone 4 last night.(or this morning).

I rather just wait for iphone 5 at this point.

20. TimShady thread starter macrumors member

Pretty much sucks that there's no 1-year. Hopefully they at least do some kind of early upgrade for the Summer 2012 iPhone. Think of how many people are getting the iPhone 4 at launch and can't upgrade it till October 2012. It's gonna be a 2.5 year old phone by then!

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How can there be any confusion? Call VZW and ask them.

That's what this person did.

22. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

Still hoping they may offer it come next Thursday.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I seriously doubt they'd f over people who bought today like that.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. People just need to accept the fact that Verizon is not going to offer the iPhone on a 1 year contract.

25. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

From The Verizon forums:

GoodShepard wrote:

Yes, activated Verizon iPhone 4 yesterday evening, then called customer service this AM and changed my contract to ONE year. It costed me $100 more than what I would have paid if I had kept 2 yr contract. I guess it is little expensive option, but still I am glad VZW offered it, Thanks y'all.