Who watches anime?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Aug 5, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So, I watch a lot anime in my spare time, so I was wondering if anyone else on MacRumors watches anime as well, and what ones you like.

My favorites are Full Metal Panic, and Azumanga Daioh. My favorite anime films are Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i like dragon ball z and dragon ball gt. that's about it. and i'm glad to see that they still make these video games

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have gone through quite a bit of anime. It is a little to late right now but if i remember I will come back here and update the thread with all that i have watched.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i used to watch anime but not so much anymore. the thing i don't like about a lot of anime is how they spend so much time catching up from the last episode. they also spend lots of time dragging things on and on...and on. bleh. i think dragon ball is the worst at dragging things on (no offense to the poster above ;). my favorite anime series of all time, however, has to be rurouni kenshin (macross plus comes a close second). tonari no totoro is definitely my favorite miyazaki work.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I really only love one: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, it's just perfect. Of course, I watch other stuff... whatever the anime of the month is, so to speak.

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My favorite is Gundam Seed/ Gundam Seed Destiny/ Gundam Seed Stargazer. Finally a Gundam that main focus is the characters and not the battles. Although I don't mind seeing the X10A Freedom, X09A Justice, X20A Strike Freedom, and X19A Infinite Justice kick some butt. :)

7. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i watch a bunch of shogo (magical girl anime), and i like it.

8. Mattlike macrumors 6502

Ninja Scroll
    The Original Ghost In the Shell
    Vampire Hunter D (both the original and the one that came out a couple of years ago)
    X
    Blood: The Last Vampire
    Naruto
    S-CRY-Ed
    Eureka 7
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Inuyasha
    Perfect Blue
    The Guyver
    Samurai X (Ruroni Kenshin)

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

*mahou shoujo

Also, this is at least the third thread on the subject.

10. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Counterfeit you do know where your user picture is from, right? 'Cause I know :D.

11. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Ghost in the Shell (Movies and Series)
    Hellsing
    Gungrave
    Desert Punk
    Metropolis
    Etc.

I'm always on the lookout for good anime suggestions.

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Lately I've beenw atchin more, although the past year I haven't been watching any I go on and off, depending what's going on in life. Check out my cafepress store (sig vv). Naruto I always watch, but besides that it depends on my mood. Azumanaga rules, I just started Lucky Star which has been compared to AD by many. I think it's not as crazy, dunno if I'll keep watching. The blu haired girl is funny though.

I really like Haruhi, random crazy stuff is always entertaining.

I'm pretty sure he knows if it's his ava and posting in an anime thread, or I guess it could one crazy coincidence O_O

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Back in school I used to watch anime, Dragon Ball Z, Tenchi Universe etc. Probably only to impress this chinese girl at my school :D we went out and broke up in the space of a year. But I did like anime and still watch anime films from time to time. I find the TV series, along with US ones, too long to watch.

I just adore Studio Ghibli films. Me and Caroline keep buying them for each other. Fantastically whimsical stuff. Carolines obsessed with anime and manga! She could set up a viable library with her manga collection :eek:

14. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Currently I only have time for Naruto but I'd love to watch Bleach.

15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I like to watch with my kids, but I'm pretty selective about what I like. All time favorite DVD is Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (Kenshin). Favorite series so far is Samurai Champloo. I also got into Full Metal Alchemist, and am currently into Bleach.

16. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

17. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Does that even count? :p

I forgot to mention, I also used to watch the original Dragon Ball. I never really got into Dragon Ball Z or any of the other spin-offs.

18. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Does anime have to be series'? Because I liked Ghost in The Shell the movie, that was cool. I've also watched a substantial amount of Bleach. I think the appeal of anime complement the Otaku culture heavily and that is kinda creepy. Especially after seeing this.

19. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I like the following types of Anime/Manga or any combination of those:

Shoujo: I'm an old softy and like those a lot. (Tenchi Muyo, Ah! My Goddess, etc…)

Funnies: I like those ridiculously funny/weird ones. (Dokuro Chan, Inumaki, etc…)

Mecha: Only some of the Mecha anime, mostly those in which the Mechas almost look "possible". (Full Metal Panic, Gunparade March, etc…)

I also prefer subtitles over dubbed.

I don't like those long winded episodic ones in which the story is stretched too tin with lots of recycled footage and flashbacks. You know, the ones to sell toys and stuff. (Dragonball, Pokemon, etc…)

20. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I have a question, is there an age where Anime is not appropriate. Just wondering because I am 24 and I love psychological/theoretical anime, Evangelion, Paranoia Agent, and other series that have more meaning and more adult oriented. Just wondering because, Anime has the stigma of Dragon Ball and mecha?

Just want to hear other peoples opinions.

21. Mattlike macrumors 6502

If it's not hurting yourself or anyone else else, I don't see a problem. I am 32 and still watch it, although I do not go out very often and purchase it as I once did.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I did this morning :eek: The latest movie - Lucario and Mew or whatever. They're a fantastic link to my childhood, first anime I saw outside of a film I saw when I was 7 and that I can't remember. It was the SS Anne episode and really got me interested in the games... Which I didn't play till I was in college :D

23. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree with you here. it is terrible at that.

but come on, what kinda person doesn't like dragon ball z? (or what kind of male kid)

24. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

My interest in anime is pretty much limited to Ghost in the Shell series (and movies). Most else I've seen haven't really held my interest, though I haven't really looked very hard.