Who/where to email to file a complaint?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sound Evolution, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Dear All,

Where can I go to email Apple to file a complaint?

Currently I am traveling through Asia, and for the first time I had to make an order at the Asia Apple store. In the Netherlands service was always top notch and I am a very satisfied customer. However dealing with Apple Asia is a disaster.

I wanted to split my bill over two credit cards. I called first in a advance before make an order. Then I placed my order and called again. The gave me a huge struggle and they kept forcing me to just use one credit card (however before I ordered they told me it isn't a problem at all and they can easily split the bill)

Long story short. After 3 days of calling, loosing 3 hours of my time, they still didn't grand my wish and everything was charged on one credit card!

After calling them furious, in attempt to correct their mistakes they charged one credit-card 1.5 times!

This isn't my credit card, I don't own a credit card, and I got a lot of trouble with the credit card owner for this.

Misstakes can happen, and that is not what I am mad about. I am mad that they kept pushing their own will and just didn't do what I asked them to do.

I want to file a complain about this but don't know where to go. I called Apple USA already but they send me back to Apple Asia. Apple asia is just impossible to deal with.

I see people here getting free super drives for nothing.

I ordered the maxed out MBPr with all possible options. I get zero compensation.

Very disappointed. Never before was ordering something at Apple such a pain in the Xss

2. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I'd contact Apple feedback if youre truly concerned about the way you were treated but It seems like there are multiple issues here. Are you upset because you didn't get "compensated" with a $50 peripheral after spending several thousand dollars on someone else's credit card? Your rant started out strong but got a little glib by the end.

3. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for being unclear, I am mad because they don't listen to me as customer. I asked from day one to split the bill. The lady kept telling me they advice me to do it by one credit card. I thanked her for her concern but stated I wish to split it anyway. I also stated that it is very important for me.

And at the end they didn't do it and without any notice they just did it their way.

It took me many calls and endless waiting and connect throughs to get it done. They kept switching me up and forth.

At the end I am mad they didn't try anything to compensate me.

4. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

5. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

You know what compensation you got for ordering your MBP? It's your god damn MBP, Apple doesn't owe you anything beyond the product you purchased off them. If someone else got something for free then it's good for them, but you are in no way entitled to anything for free from Apple or from anybody else for that matter.

You know what they could have done? Denied you the use of the credit card, which by your own admission, you don't even own. Did you have written consent from the credit card owners? If not what you just did was commit credit card fraud.

The whole "the customer is always right" thing is taken too far by some people who think that the world owes them just because they have some modicum of money.

6. Rocky244 macrumors regular

I think your primary lesson here should be don't use someone else's credit card. Good luck getting the banks to help you when you call on behalf of someone else's account...

7. stuaz macrumors 6502

So basically you are more annoyed that they didnt "compensate" you...

hmmm.... guessing this is the culture we live in.

When I have brought items with different Debit cards in the Apple store, I got two receipts. I understand you did this over the phone? Personally I would of checked both of my cards in the following 24 hours to see if there was two charges. If not, I would of rung them up and cancelled the order.

8. jreuschl macrumors 6502

Maybe Apple itself should complain to itself for allowing that store to even think about processing someone else's credit card??

Why didn't you just buy it at home with your friend in person?

9. kam187 macrumors newbie

Criticising you aside, in that situation I would just call them up, cancel the order, get a full refund, and ask for an escalation.

Some people here are getting on their high horse for nothing. I'm sure you had permission to use your friends card, and you DON'T need written permission, just their consent. I can give a relative my debit card or credit card to use on my behalf if I wish without having to go visit a lawyer and write out a legal document lol.

In fact, if apple did overcharge your card - you did say they charged it 1.5 times - THEY are the ones in the wrong, and potentially committing fraud. Obviously that's just dramatic as its clearly a simple mistake that they will rectify once notified (which they legally must do).

At the end of the day money talks. You'll probably get a better response when your threaten to cancel. One cancelled order isn't going to bother apple, but on some level losing a customer who just ordered a fully specced flagship machine, and probably will again in the future because of staff incompetence is something they should take seriously. How many other customer may they have lost for the same reason, let alone after you retell this story to your colleges.

On another note, although it's under the apple umbrella, they are usually separate companies in different regions, which makes it difficult for apple US employees to help you. If you escalate high enough in Apple US they can probably direct you to someone more senior on the asia side to deal with.

If I were you, i'd be more worried about after you get the machine and have to deal with Apple asia, or apple USA giving you headache that you didn't buy it from them!

Just a tip, don't ask for compensation, and focus on the disappointment at the service you've received from a company you had previously held in such high esteem. Also escalate because you wan't them to know how upset you are, and how you think they should be aware of the bad customer service at apple Asia so they can fix it in the future. If I were you I wouldn't even care about a $50 accessory, and focus on the fact that you really did want the machine, and full specced, yet with the huge backlog and idiocy at apple Asia, even if you did reorder you've lost weeks in the queue. Who knows you might get one expedited for you. That would be worth arguing for!

10. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your response,

Believe me I would love to have bought it at Apple USA. I tried to call them before. But I can only buy it at the Apple Region I am.

Secondly, I wanted a USA keyboard (I hate the international or European keyboard with the "L" shaped enter button) but no they could't do that. :( It all comes directly from the same factory in China..

And yes I already use Apple since I am 10. The MAC classic was the first computer my parents put on my room, and I used it to make music with. I have purchased machines with full specs the last decade.

They don't have to kiss my bottom for buying there products. Who am I after all... but I just expect them to treat me well.

It also piss me off that my emails to Apple Asia never get replied.

Is it possible at Apple (Asia) to call them and ask for the manager or something? In case non of my emails ever get responded.

Ps. yes it is are my girlfriends credit-cards and of course I have her full permission. It is just because transferring money from an european account to a Asia company is a struggle and add's a lot of cost. So I just gave the money to my girl friend and I use her card's.

11. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Wrong. You actually cannot do that. Not only is it not legally allowed, but the employees are specifically instructed not to accept such payments. Apple is liable for those payments, and have been screwed by similar situations in the past.

In fact, when I was working there, someone payed with someone else's credit card, the employee accepted it. Later that week the person who actually owned the credit card, filed a dispute for that charge claiming that he was not the person who used that card, and our store had to issue him a refund. Oh, and we never got the computer back either...

For the same reason, we were also not allowed to accept a debit card after it had been rejected once, because a similar dispute could be filed, resulting in the charge being refunded without return of the computer.

12. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

The customer isn't always right, However if I pre-called them to ask if I can make a purchase a certain way, and they confirm I can do it. Then I do as they told me, place the order and then at the end screw it up and keep me hanging on the phone for days and at the end don't do as I asked them to do, then in this case customer is right ;)

----------

I am not home, I am for work in Asia the coming 6 months. There are no real Apple stores in Bangkok. Only resellers. I had very bad experience in the past with resellers in case of a defect. I wanted to deal with Apple directly. As said, My experience with Apple in the past have always bin very pleasant so I didn't see any problems.

----------

Apple emailed my girlfriend a request for ID identification. Which she filled in and send back. In this same email she also requested for split payments over two credit cards. She gave her permission in this email and the right specifications. They ignored our request and just did what they wanted to do.

----------

Not really. I am annoyed they don't listen to the wish of the customer. I was annoyed that some people here call Apple because they waiting to long for their MBPr (still in between the indicated delivery time by Apple) and then get a free super drive. I am happy for those who get the free super drive, but it doesn't feel fair if people who didn't had any struggle just get compensated and those who really had a struggle don't

13. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You should email Tim Cook. I bet he want to hear it.

14. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about it, but I don't feel right to do so. I am sure this big CEO has better things to do, and I don't want to miss-use his famous public email address for things like this.

I just wish there was a central contact point at Apple where you just file your complain.

Apple promised me to refund the over charged amount. Everything will be fine at the end. I am just annoyed by the way they treated me and all the struggle they let us go through. If only they just listened to our request from the beginning. And if my way was to complicated or to much, then they should't have told me from the beginning that it was possible.

15. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Call it getting on my high horse,I think there are some practical lessons to be taken away here:

-when buying a purchase as substantial as a "maxed out" rMBP, one should probably consider doing it locally rather than when traveling. Even when doing it online, you are still stuck as the outsider trying to get help if there is a problem.

-it seems a bit weird to be getting all indignant about a messed up transaction when you specifically requested a less common procedure. In fact I can't even picture how you could split a bill using an online payment system. This really strikes me as the type of thing you would want to do in person, where you can physically watch and verify as the salesperson rings through each amount.

-I don't even understand why the OP brought up the whole using another persons card(s). The debate over when it's "ok" to do so aside, the fact that the ordeal created grief and frustration for the actual cardholder should weigh more on the OP's shoulders than apple's.

I'm not sure if it's is a case of the OP not having the means to get credit or just choosing not to have one (and I'm not making judgements either way, lord knows I've been a poor student myself). But in either situation, when one is relying on others to "use" the system, it seems a little self centered to demand personal compensation when it was others who's credit was placed on the line.

16. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Just because they give out a free accessory here or there, does not mean that every time someone calls whether to complain or not deserves a free accessory.

I got big news for you.

LIFE IS NOT FAIR.

17. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

That's good of you but telling a client one thing then do another is a serious crime in retail in my opinion, so this should go to the highest as can be. Ordinary channel just doesn't cut it.

18. Sound Evolution, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Let me explain. I pre called Apple first. As well USA as Apple Asia if it is possible to make a purchase with my girlfriends credit-card and if possible to be split by two cards. Both confirmed I can do it. The procedure is, order first and then after the order is "processed" call back and then you can split it.

If it was not possible or to difficult, they should have told me. I simply followed all the steps they asked me to take.

Sure it is our own responsibility. But my problem is. When on the Phone they just don't really listen to what I want and don't do what they promised. Secondly it doesn't give them the right after I place the order to just ignore my request as well by phone as written with my girlfriends permission. (this email was a response on the ID identification mail). They told this is the procedure. I just followed. That doesn't give them the right to charge me double.

I don't have a credit-card because in the Netherlands it is not as common as in Asia or USA to pay everything with credit card. We pay with debit card Meastro. But it isn't accepted by Apple.

The whole thing aside. It should't matter. I pre-called Apple. Both USA and Asia, and asked them if this possible and what is the procedure. I did everything by the book. That Apple makes mistakes can happened and doesn't make me mad or disappointed. The way they deal with the mistake and just ignore the customer bothers me. Simple as that.

The bottom line is. The promised me it is possible. When I called back they said "It is really better to do it by one credit-card. I said yes but I still prefer to split it. From that moment on they just ignored my request and do it their way. And when I got really mad, they charged me double.

I see words here as I am self centered, "life is not fair" yeah... but just think and you know this isn't right from Apple's side.

19. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Call the same ordering number and ask for a supervisor. That's what I'd be doing. Explain the situation if you plan on ordering again and order from a supervisor. That's what I'd be doing...

20. kam187 macrumors newbie

Couldn't agree with you more actually. The high horse comment was directed more at the people just having a go at him, assuming he was committing some kind of fraud, and not answering the actual question. You're right he shouldn't have even mentioned that. I just get a bit sick and tired of people who jump in on threads shouting and screaming and not adding any value.

He obviously made the situation difficult by trying to do it a non standard way. Having said that, 'my system won't allow me to do it' isn't a valid excuse from customer services as far as i'm concerned when the mistake is on the part of the company. That's the reason you have managers and supervisors who can bypass automated procedures. At the end of the day, putting aside the fact that it might have been a lot easier a different way (in person), they DID say it was possible, then reneged on that afterwards.

Let's just for a minute imagine this wasn't apple, and some other little company who told you yes yes we can do that, to get the sale, and then afterwards just did whatever they wanted. I think more people would be on the OP's side. IF what he's saying is true, it sounds like they really can't be bothered over there at apple asia, and weather its apple or not, its not acceptable. If someone did that in my company, i'd sure as hell want to know about it.

----------

Actually you're both wrong and right.

Legally I CAN do that, and there isn't any law, regulation, term or condition saying I can't. Where it becomes a problem is exactly in the situation you're talking about, and that's not defined well.

For credit card fraud, chargebacks etc, decisions are heavily biased towards the customer, and it's the responsibility of the retailer to prove they did the relevant checks, and that the card owner DID indeed make the purchase in good faith. After 6 months it's the card owners responsibility to prove he did not make that purchase (Which is why most people thing there is a 6 month limit on chargebacks).

If you as a retailer take payment from someone and don't do the relevant checks, then you have to take the hit. As the OP said they asked for ID from the owner, and in that case they would be covered, and the credit card company takes the hit.

In a different situation, IF the owner of the card passed on security details to the OP so that he could process the transaction, then they are no longer covered by the normal protection of the card company. But realistically how will they prove that!

My point was it is NOT illegal to let someone else use your card with your permission. The only issue is proving after the fact if they did or did not give you permission if they later deny it, and for the retailer ensuring there was enough due diligence.

21. mdapple macrumors regular

My rMBP base model shipping was slightly delayed and they gave me free bose speakers and 50% off a thunderbolt display... I wonder why you didn't get any compensation for those screw ups.

I eventually ended up cancelling my apple order and ordering from a reseller instead; they let me keep the free gifts and discount :)

22. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I can imagine, you seem such a nice guy, that they wanted to overwhelm you with presents ;)

23. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Not really. It happens all the time. There are tons of threads of employees at BB pulling stunts like this.

OP, split tender is not a very common payment method for online sales. Most companies will let you split a bill between a gift card(s) and an actual credit card (what you should have done), but not many will allow you to split between credit cards.

I would take this as a lesson learned. You should have been prepared for a complicated transaction like this to go south, and have been prepared to go to the necessary lengths to rectify it.

Again, the MUCH easier route would have been to buy a giftcard on the one credit card for half the purchase price, then use the other card for the other half of the purchase.