Who Will be the First?

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
2,135
0
So who will be the first to post a desktop pic of their tiger install on april 29th? Who was the first for panther, just curious..
 

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
2,872
0
CubaTBird said:
So who will be the first to post a desktop pic of their tiger install on april 29th? Who was the first for panther, just curious..

my guess is time zone will dedictate that.
 

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,167
23
Lincoln,UK
well NZ gets it first if i read that right in the forums ? but yes as soon as my postie drops tiger through my letter box the better - got that day off work as well so busy busy day for me hehe
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,677
1,183
New Zealand
liketom said:
well NZ gets it first if i read that right in the forums
The place I'm getting mine from claims that it'll arrive this Thursday :eek:
But they probably mean that they will receive it from Apple on Thursday, not that I'll actually receive it then :(
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
I think that Nermal will be among the first to have Tiger. It will be great to get the first impressions on Tiger Friday Morning. Just the luck of the time zone.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,677
1,183
New Zealand
Nermal said:
The place I'm getting mine from claims that it'll arrive this Thursday :eek:
But they probably mean that they will receive it from Apple on Thursday, not that I'll actually receive it then :(
So imagine my surprise when it arrived today! :eek: :D

First impressions:
- I can't figure out how to remove the Google search bar from Safari
- QuickTime needs a new registration to go into fullscreen
- It's slow (maybe due to Spotlight indexing)
- Safari seems to render faster
- Classic is still supported
- There is now a Dictionary app
- Mail has a new icon
- Safari scrolls slower (using scroll wheel) Edit: Actually it depends on how fast you spin the wheel
- I no longer have 2 mice in Remote Desktop

Screenshots to follow :)
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
Nermal said:
So imagine my surprise when it arrived today! :eek: :D

First impressions:
- I can't figure out how to remove the Google search bar from Safari
- QuickTime needs a new registration to go into fullscreen
- It's slow (maybe due to Spotlight indexing)
- Safari seems to render faster
- Classic is still supported
- There is now a Dictionary app
- Mail has a new icon

Screenshots to follow :)
thats sweet, things are slow because it takes a LOOONG time for Spotlight to index everything i would imagine
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,677
1,183
New Zealand
Screenshots default to PNG now, not PDF! That makes it easier to attach them :)

... except Preview doesn't seem to have a filesize limiter anymore! :eek:

On the plus side, Spotlight's finished indexing and it's nice and fast now.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,677
1,183
New Zealand
How did you shrink that down to fit within the filesize limit? And how come your About box lists your startup disk?

Also noticed:
- Doom 3 doesn't seem to be any faster, but I only played for a few seconds so can't say for sure
- There is now a mouse in the way when playing said game :(
- Dreamweaver's Preview option (F12) no longer works because Dashboard's taken over that key (but I'm pretty sure you can change it)
 

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
825
0
Home
Nermal said:
How did you shrink that down to fit within the filesize limit? And how come your About box lists your startup disk?

Also noticed:
- Doom 3 doesn't seem to be any faster, but I only played for a few seconds so can't say for sure
- There is now a mouse in the way when playing said game :(
Do you already have Tiger? Are u a developer?
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,677
1,183
New Zealand
Not joking, I actually have it :D

There's no Apple presence in NZ, so I guess that the resellers are ignoring the official release date and just sending the stuff on as soon as they get it :)

Here's the obligatory About box.
 

Attachments

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,677
1,183
New Zealand
Hey, you're right, it's different from the one in MacAztec's post. Maybe it's because I did an upgrade. :confused:

The iChat.app in the Applications folder has the new icon, but the icon in the Dock is the old one. Weird.

Edit: It's the old QuickTime icon too.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
Nermal said:
Hey, you're right, it's different from the one in MacAztec's post. Maybe it's because I did an upgrade. :confused:

The iChat.app in the Applications folder has the new icon, but the icon in the Dock is the old one. Weird.
it probably didnt refresh your dock icon from the install because you did the upgrade....
 

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
2,745
0
fig tree
Nermal said:
Not joking, I actually have it :D

There's no Apple presence in NZ, so I guess that the resellers are ignoring the official release date and just sending the stuff on as soon as they get it :)

Here's the obligatory About box.
good god, does the apple menu icon look different...maybe that's just the compression for posting here but it looks very flat and like it's lost its "reflectiveness."
i prolly wont order for awhile unless me and 4 friends decide to go in on a family pack or something
edit: nermal, what vid card do you have and is your machine a dual proc?
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
homerjward said:
...
i prolly wont order for awhile unless me and 4 friends decide to go in on a family pack or something
A Family Pack is for people living together. So unless you're sharing a home with those 4 friends, you each need to buy your own licenses. Of course if you own more than one Mac yourself, a Family Pakc for youself would be appropriate.
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,677
1,183
New Zealand
homerjward said:
good god, does the apple menu icon look different...maybe that's just the compression for posting here but it looks very flat and like it's lost its "reflectiveness."
i prolly wont order for awhile unless me and 4 friends decide to go in on a family pack or something
edit: nermal, what vid card do you have and is your machine a dual proc?
Yeah, it's different, I personally think it looks OK, although that compressed one looks terrible.

I have a single G4 and a 128 MB 9800 Pro. Safari is definitely much snappier in Tiger, but I haven't had much of a chance to really try out the system (I'm supposed to be working on a website at the moment!)
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
I don't have Tiger personally, but there is a thread at Small Apple that has some pics, as well as a short review.

Hopefully I won't get in trouble for posting this... :eek:

EDIT - Here is a gallery link to a whole bunch of Tiger pics. Linkey
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,677
1,183
New Zealand
Yeah I feel special :)

I'm gonna do a clean install on the weekend, there's so much rubbish on this system (had it since 2003). Maybe the icons etc will behave better once it's been refreshed.