who will order ipad 2 blindly?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jvmxtra, Nov 27, 2010.

1. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I don't currently own an ipad but I have used it plenty and love it. Not to mention I am complete believer in all things IOS.

I will order two of ipad 2 blindly no matter what(regardless of spec change) when they make the announcement; hopefully, it gets released in feb(I doubt jan release: But if I am wrong, I will be the happiest guy in the world).

Who else is w/ me?

2. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Since day 1 i've been waiting for the iPad 2, since #1 has always been subpar.

If it has 16 gigs as the base size, I won't buy it on principle for apple being useless ******* money grubbing pricks.

The first ipad having 16 gigs as the base size was a JOKE, so having the same for the second will be a massive insult.

Other than that I want one.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

So if they decided 7" was the new more portable size, and the only large one ever was our current iPad then you would still order the new 7" models?

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'm close except, following on from what Piggie said, what if there's something that changes the nature of the device significantly? I would consider a 7" as doing that and I wouldn't want one.

If the next iPad 2 is a 9.7" device (or close to that) then I've already decided that I'm going to get one because I want a second iPad so I know I'll be buying one anyhow. I only use mine for personal use, surfing and media consumption, so it's a luxury to have one, let alone two, and I can definitely wait; that way I'll get my second iPad and have the opportunity to play with the second generation device all in the same purchase.

For what it's worth (not a lot!), my prediction is April 2011 availability for the next iPad.

- Julian

5. JulianL macrumors 65816

I think that you're being unfair; Apple have to cater for more customers than just you. I have a 16GB iPad that I use for at least 5 hours a day, I have 80 apps installed including three huge dictionaries and some big games, I have 43 ebooks loaded onto it and I still have 9.0GB of the available 14.0GB still free.

I would have been annoyed if Apple had forced me to pay an extra £100 so that I could have 17GB of unused space instead of 9GB of unused space. Not everyone wants to cram their device full of music and videos or other stuff. One market is people who use it purely for couch surfing and for those people they can probably stream any media they want onto the device from their home PC. For travelling I have my phone and that's the one where Apple dissapointed me on the storage, I was really hoping that they would bump the iPhone 4 maximum capacity to 64GB because this is where all my music is and I'm running out of space on 32GB.

- Julian

6. lozpop macrumors 6502

I agree with Julian, the 16GB is more than sufficient for a lot of people.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Just to also say, I feel the only reason you need BIG memory is when you are storing data.

The 16GB I think is currently plenty for apps and general notes/documents etc.

If you wish to start storing Music/Video/Photo collections then that's different.

My problem is the iPad is not big enough for that by MILES.

I would either want to put on all my photo's or hardly any photo's.
    I can't see the point in continually sorting through photo collections to decide which ones go on the iPad and which ones don't

Same with music.

8. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I will have to see it first.

I have the old, legacy, ancient iPad 1 that works just fine...

I am in the market for something for the wife. It will be a fight out between the Dell Duo Convertible and the iPad 2.

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

A ram upgrade would sell me, but the iPad one is an amazing device as is.
    Higher resolution screen would be a plus too.

What I'd really like to see is being able to use it fully without needing to connect with iTunes on a computer.

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

The only thing I want is Retina Display and I am sure that won't happen on iPad 2. So, I will stick with my iPad 1 until they do that. I expect retina Display on iPad 3.

11. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

12. McGilli macrumors 6502

I'll pre/order as soon as they announce it - as long as they have a standard 16gb/wi-fi version. Being forced to pay for more than 16gb would be a JOKE.

13. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

forced? - nobody is twisting your arm.

14. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I'll want to see the specs on it first. I love the iPad 1, and suspect iPad 2 will be a nice incremental improvement.

I think for this generation, you'll still see a 16GB option. The thing is, Cloud Storage works really well with iOS. You can keep a couple TB online and grab documents as you need them. Same with Music, Video, and Photos. The "Streaming only" new Apple TV demonstrates that.

If Apple does bring out a 7" tablet, I'd pass. Tablets are for getting things done, and for that I need a keyboard I can touch type on. I've tried typing on the 7" tablets and the keyboards are just too small. (smaller than iPad's portrait keyboard...). 7" is good for media players. 3.5" is file for quick web reference and simple Apps. The 10" screen is just big enough for almost anything you might want to do.

15. thesmoth macrumors 6502

If apple stopped being cheapskates, they could have the BASE size as 32 gigs, and so you wouldn't be 'forced' to pay for it. They should have been selling the base model with 32 gigs from day one.

If I want a small amount of music, few videos, and lots of apps, the 16 gig would barely be OK. If I want lots of videos, music, and lots of apps, it's not gonna work.

And how exactly do those cloud streaming services work? Monthly fee's?
    Brilliant suggestion, pay more money per month so the iPad can actually do what it should do out of the box.

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

But some people don't feel the need to store everything on their iPad and for them 16GB is plenty, so it's unfair to criticize Apple for that. I have apps, music, videos and photos on my iPad and still have free space on it. Everything else I need I can stream.

If the current base iPad was 32GB I would feel a bit annoyed that they didn't offer a cheaper 16GB version because all that extra space would just go unused for me.

If you want to store lots of music and videos just pay for more storage. For people who just want to store some videos and music, like me, the 16GB is perfect.

17. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Also with the cloud storage... Imagine pulling a nice size video file or document from the cloud over 3G. I tried a few offerings and they suck a bunch. Built in storage for quick access is way better.

I guess if every file you have is a couple KB in size then cloud storage is fine. Or for larger files if you have wifi every where you go.

18. thesmoth macrumors 6502

I would like to not have to worry about space. My ipod touch is full to the gills with just music and apps (16 gigs).

My iphoto library is at least 15 gigs on it's own.

I know I don't need to put every single picture I have on my iPad, but it would be nice to be able to fit more than a couple of albums.

I realize the iPad is a bit of a crappy music player due to it being so huge, so I probably wouldn't need more than 1-2 gigs of my favourite music, so that would really free up a lot of space.

19. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

To order blindly would mean you know nothing about it. When they announce it, it is safe to say everything or nearly everything will be revealed about it at it's announcement. Also I doubt a Feb release, I would bet on April.

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Then buy a model with more storage.

21. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Well, Netflix seems to work okay on 3G - although it's adaptively streamed, not downloaded. Most office documents are a few MB in size, and come down just fine even with EDGE level service.

The point I guess is that it's not an "either-or" choice. Buy an iPad with enough local storage for the documents you'll need immediately or at all times, and extend that with less frequently access data in the Cloud.

I bought a 64GB iPad thinking I'd need space for all my stuff - but I find in actual use, almost everything lives up in the Cloud. I could have gotten away with 32 or 16 probably.

22. thesmoth, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

thesmoth macrumors 6502

In that case it's a ripoff and I wouldn't buy it. For the price it should have 32 gigs on the low end model (it's just a big ipod touch, exactly, identical internals with a bigger case/screen/battery).

I know apples game of forcing expensive minor upgrades in order to massively increase profit margins, and I don't buy into it.

I bought a low end 13" macbook pro, upgraded the ram and HD myself, and i've been very happy.

23. Evmanw macrumors regular

Evmanw

I trust Apple

I trust Apple to not take away features from the iPad, so YES I will order it blindly! :)

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo