Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I would never order anything blindly. Not to say I won't get one, but I would want to see one first.

utl768

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
i probably will buy one if they add more features such as adobe flash support, a usb port, and some other stuff

to me right now an ipad is basically a oversized ipod touch due to the lack of features

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
So if they decided 7" was the new more portable size, and the only large one ever was our current iPad then you would still order the new 7" models?

That's an excellent question. And I might have to step back on what I have already wrote and say no thanks to 7 inch and jump back on VER 1... But I doubt that Steve would break his words so soon..

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
That's an excellent question. And I might have to step back on what I have already wrote and say no thanks to 7 inch and jump back on VER 1... But I doubt that Steve would break his words so soon..

There has to be a genuine sounding reason for Steve to backtrack.

He could on Flash.

He could easily say at some stage.

"Well, back when he designed the iPad, we looked at Flash, and it was just a heap of bad news, and no way we could use it. But since then Adobe have been doing a fair amount of work, and together with our expertise at Apple we have now finally come up with a workable version that we can now offer on our tablets."

Or something like that :)

Personally I don't think it will happen though.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
OK, 'blindly' might be too strict here.

I will eat my words; what i meant to say was when they make the announcement for ipad 2, I will order them no matter what -- exception w/ 7 inch ones but I doubt that Steve will PO people like that.

Even if improvement is not on par w/ people's ever sky rocketing expectation, I will get them.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm ordering it blindly. I hope they drop the price, though it will be too close to an iPod Touch, so I don't expect it.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
If adobe puts some effort in flash for mac/mobile platforms, and it actually runs well, I don't see why apple wouldn't allow it.

People need to realize that apple isn't holding some great format from you, and that adobe is the bad actor in this scenario because they have a **** product.

Just keep in mind that as battery technology improves, processor power increases and becomes more efficient, and adobe continues to optimize their software, there WILL be a point when apple mobile devices can run flash.

It may be that by the time the hardware and software evolutions meet, flash will be obsolete. We'll have to keep waiting and see.

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2010
Since day 1 i've been waiting for the iPad 2, since #1 has always been subpar.

If it has 16 gigs as the base size, I won't buy it on principle for apple being useless ******* money grubbing pricks.

The first ipad having 16 gigs as the base size was a JOKE, so having the same for the second will be a massive insult.

Other than that I want one.

Ipad 1 has been subpar? Gimme a break..This is the wrong place to spew that load of bunk!

Mine is 16gb and isn't even half full. If I purchased a second edition, I would definitely go for the 16gb if it was the least expensive option. My iphone is 16gb as well as all my kids iphones and ipod touches, and none of us have ever come close to needing more memory.

I guess those that need to have their entire movie collection on the ipad may need more space, but so far it works fine for me.

I love people who stand on the sidelines and don't buy something because they probably can't afford to buy it, and then talk trash about it.

How many million Ipads has Apple sold and what percentage of those who own one are very satisfied with it?

Enough said.

Last edited:

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Ipad 1 has been subpar? Gimme a break..This is the wrong place to spew that load of bunk!

Mine is 16gb and isn't even half full. If I purchased a second edition, I would definitely go for the 16gb if it was the least expensive option. My iphone is 16gb as well as all my kids iphones and ipod touches, and none of us have ever come close to needing more memory.

I guess those that need to have their entire movie collection on the ipad may need more space, but so far it works fine for me.

I love people who stand on the sidelines and don't buy something because they probably can't afford to buy it, and then talk trash about it.

How many million Ipads has Apple sold and what percentage of those who own one are very satisfied with it?

Enough said.

It was released without multitasking, and not enough ram to REALLY multitask well. I feel it isn't very future proof. When it came there were no good apps for it, and even today there aren't that many great apps that would make someone go 'WOW, this could really make my life easier!'.

An ipad centered around iOS 4.2 or better, with faster specs to better utilize the new features and future software is what I need. I need the great revolutionary software that creative developers are GOING to come out with, but haven't yet because the iPad is too new.

I think the iPad is a really cool device and if money wasn't an issue I would buy one in a second, but since i'm a graduate student and money is always an issue I really need something substantial to justify the purchase. I think the iPad is apples best first generation product i've ever seen (since it's a big ipod touch, which has already been refined over several generations) and really is great, it just needs more time to evolve on the software side. When it does evolve, I will be ready to buy the next generation iPad with specs built for those evolutions.

And you are 100% correct, if I could afford it I would have one right now. I have enough money to go buy one right now and still pay the bills, but I can't justify the purchase based on what it can do TODAY. I think by the time the iPad 2 is released, it will have more functionality AND better specs, and at that time I will be able to justify the purchase.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
If adobe puts some effort in flash for mac/mobile platforms, and it actually runs well, I don't see why apple wouldn't allow it.

People need to realize that apple isn't holding some great format from you, and that adobe is the bad actor in this scenario because they have a **** product.

Just keep in mind that as battery technology improves, processor power increases and becomes more efficient, and adobe continues to optimize their software, there WILL be a point when apple mobile devices can run flash.

It may be that by the time the hardware and software evolutions meet, flash will be obsolete. We'll have to keep waiting and see.

Apple can put Flash on the iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch right now; however, it will decrease your battery life. In the future, when Flash takes up as much battery as HTML 5 does, then Apple still won't put Flash on their iDevices, as then the user can get millions of flash games - this has the potential to ruin the app store.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Apple can put Flash on the iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch right now; however, it will decrease your battery life. In the future, when Flash takes up as much battery as HTML 5 does, then Apple still won't put Flash on their iDevices, as then the user can get millions of flash games - this has the potential to ruin the app store.

Good point, I didn't think of that.

OK so flash is never coming to iOS!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
All depends on the new features.

The biggest being a FaceTime camera.

I would LOVE to video conference on the go, but the iPhone is a bit too small. The iPad will be the perfect size.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
i'm probably going to buy one day one... selling my macbook pro for one ahah... if there is a 128gb+3g version i'll be happy :D and some way to run flash videos besides skyfire.. *sighs*

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
If apple stopped being cheapskates, they could have the BASE size as 32 gigs, and so you wouldn't be 'forced' to pay for it. They should have been selling the base model with 32 gigs from day one.

If I want a small amount of music, few videos, and lots of apps, the 16 gig would barely be OK. If I want lots of videos, music, and lots of apps, it's not gonna work.

And how exactly do those cloud streaming services work? Monthly fee's?
Brilliant suggestion, pay more money per month so the iPad can actually do what it should do out of the box.

so, please quote the cost metrics that demonstrate Apple is overcharging for the 16 GB iPad.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
I'll probably skip the ipad 2 and go straight for the ipad 3. Unless I can get a good resale price on my current ipad.

For a Gen 1 Apple device, the iPad has been very, very good. Few hardware issues that I've heard of or software bugs. It's probably because Apple has been working on the iPad for a long time (before the iphone apparently).

So I think if you want the best bang for your buck, the iPad 3 will see better specs and upgrades than the iPad 2 whose improvements will be more incremental rather than magical.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Actually, I'll be buying mine from WalMart so I can get my money back if I am dissatisfied with it or I cant find a "use" for it.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
In that case it's a ripoff and I wouldn't buy it. For the price it should have 32 gigs on the low end model (it's just a big ipod touch, exactly, identical internals with a bigger case/screen/battery).

I know millions of people who disagree with you

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
so, please quote the cost metrics that demonstrate Apple is overcharging for the 16 GB iPad.

Apple is overcharging... Ic.
You are right.

Samsung Galaxy S costs 600-650 dollars and has 7 inch screen with 16GB memory as well.

You are absolutely right.

Samsung added two cameras, so they just thought they can just charge 600 dollars on their 7 inch tablet device.

You are sooo right.

There are bunch of tablets out there that is priced higher than iPad with smaller screen and worse specs.

But, you are so freaking right because you live in your lala land.

thesmoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Apple is overcharging... Ic.
You are right.

Samsung Galaxy S costs 600-650 dollars and has 7 inch screen with 16GB memory as well.

You are absolutely right.

Samsung added two cameras, so they just thought they can just charge 600 dollars on their 7 inch tablet device.

You are sooo right.

There are bunch of tablets out there that is priced higher than iPad with smaller screen and worse specs.

But, you are so freaking right because you live in your lala land.

Alright, I concede defeat. After hearing everyones arguements, and taking into account that the iPad will NOT be a primary music player (only keep a small amount of music on it) I guess 16 gigs for the base model on the iPad is reasonable and NOT a ripoff.

I think if they keep 16 gigs on the second model it will be questionable, UNLESS there are some other pretty neat spec improvements.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008

If it has 16 gigs as the base size, I won't buy it on principle for apple being useless ******* money grubbing pricks.

The first ipad having 16 gigs as the base size was a JOKE, so having the same for the second will be a massive insult.

my educated guess from working at our apple store for the duration of ipad sales is... Somewhere around 50 percent of users probably have 16 gig ipads. All of which are not filler.

calm down

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
Upgrading to IPad 2 is going to be a bit pointless for me, I'm not bothered by the camera or the smaller screen, I'm very happy wi what I have at the moment. I will most likely upgrade when 3 comes out.

Oh and I'm another with only 16 gig and this is more than sufficient for me.

bentrider

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010

And I feel like an idiot every day for having bought the 64 gig model. I stream all the video I watch on it. Usually use Pandora to listen to music. I have a ton of apps and eBook and all my music and still have 38 gig free.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey

I have never, not even a little bit, come close to reaching 16GB. You may not be educated very well on cloud-computing, but the iPad can take advantage of that. As can the MacBook Air, or any computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.