Who will upgrade to Sierra on day 1?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by SteveJobzniak, Sep 17, 2016.

?

Will you upgrade on day 1?

  1. Yes (why?)

    62.9%
  2. No (why?)

    27.3%
  3. Haven't decided (why?)

    9.8%
  1. flowrider macrumors 603

    flowrider

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2012
    #26
    Couldn't participate in the poll, because my answer wasn't there. I have already transitioned to Sierra. It's been my OS of choice since PB4.

    Lou
     
  2. grahamperrin macrumors 601

    grahamperrin

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #27
    @flowrider if your Mac is suddenly lost, or destroyed, now, and if the only immediately available acceptable replacement Mac runs El Capitan: you'll upgrade on day one.
     
  3. wubsylol macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2014
    #28
    I'm running the public GM and having no issues, so I'll definitely be running it day one.

    I'm not saying there are no issues, just that I'm not experiencing any in my day to day use.
     
  4. flowrider macrumors 603

    flowrider

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2012
    #29
    Boy, thanks for clearing that up. You made up good hypothetical, why?

    Loi
     
  5. SteveJobzniak thread starter macrumors 6502

    SteveJobzniak

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2015
    #30
    Wow, you bought the one-port USB-C retina MacBook Pro? Lucky. I wish I had one too. Apart from the single port issue, it's such a beast of a machine. And its modern GPU has hardware decoding of all common video sizes and framerates. :) I am extremely jealous. (And to answer your question, it would unfortunately be way too much work to make YouTube auto-select the highest quality. Their player does a bunch of tests to automatically pick a reasonable quality based on bandwidth, screensize, player size, browser capabilities etc.)
     
  6. merlinmage macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2014
    #31
    I will upgrade my spare/test MBP 13" Early 15 on day 1 and will move my MacPro 5,1 to 10.11.6. Iron out what Sierra brings to the table at 10.12.5 and upgrade accordingly. Works since years.
     
  7. alexclst macrumors member

    alexclst

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    Location:
    Saint Paul, MN
    #32
    I definitely plan to upgrade my primary Mac on day 1, though I'll wait at least an hour or two after it is released before downloading it just in case issues pop up that are fixed quickly like what happened to iOS 10 last week. I also have two separate backups I'll ensure are up to date first, and not use Time Machine again until I've had Sierra for a day or so and know that everything is fine.

    That said, as a developer I've had Sierra installed on an external drive for a while, so tomorrow certainly won't be my first experiences of using Sierra.
     
  8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

    oneMadRssn

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    Location:
    New England
    #33
    As I typically do, I will upgrade my casual use Macbook Air right away, and I will hold off on upgrading my Mac Mini until the .1 or .2 release.
     
  9. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

    Crazy Badger

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Location:
    Scotland
    #34
    Maybe not tomorrow, but I will update my MBA sometime this week (after running successfully on my iMac for the last few months)
     
  10. redheeler macrumors 604

    redheeler

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2014
    #35
    The norm for me is to wait for release before installing on my main Mac, but this year I am already running the GM candidate (16A322). No issues so far, and I expect this to be a solid release.
     
  11. di1in macrumors regular

    di1in

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #36
    El Capitan is mostly stable for me right now, although .6 seemed like a step down.

    From lessons learnt over the last 5 years, I will wait till 12.3 is out before upgrading -- probably in March 2017.
     
  12. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2015
    #37
    Installing new OS on day 1 is a bad idea in my experience. I learned it the hard way when OS X 10.5 was released and both Yosemite and El Capitan had way too many bugs when released. While I have tested Sierra on VM I'm not going to update my Mac Pro for a long time, it simply doesn't have much improvements for my needs. Disk Utility is slightly better than in El Capitan but I haven't noticed any other improvements. I might reconsider once .5 or .6 update is released but I prefer to let other people walk into minefield first! :p
     
  13. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2014
    #38
    I will probably wait and see a couple of hours after it is released to see if anyone is having problems. I never had problems with el capitan like some users did. the iMessages features, tabs, and floating videos are what I am after. I am in graduate school now and have tons of microsoft word documents open. I really hope it works for that. tabs would be such a blessing.
     
  14. grahamperrin macrumors 601

    grahamperrin

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #39
    I was deeply, deeply perturbed by your exclusion from the voting system. Lost sleep. Woke up in a cold sweat still thinking about it. Twelve hours later I still can't rest so to restore balance in the universe I have changed my vote from no to yes :D

    Damn, damn this smudge on my spectacles. I thought that the long awaited enhancement to the Mac lineup was named the Cretina.
     
  15. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

    lobo1978

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2011
    #40
    On Sierra already for a month. No problems at all. Smooth as always + not much of a difference comparing to El Capitan...

    Slow, asymptotic approach to the perfect OS -- It is difficult for any significant breakthrough (after Mavericks)
     
  16. akwarner macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2006
    #41
    Already done. I went through the 8 or so betas and it got better and better. I installed the betas on a second machine other than my main one. I used the beta period to test the apps that I use on a regular basis. Most apps worked just fine. Some did not and required updates (some of which were also in beta during that period) such as Little Snitch and Carbon Copy Cloner.

    Sierra also finally broke a few older versions of apps I had been using so I had to either decide to stop using them or upgrade to newer versions such as BetterZip, Bartender, and TechTools Pro.

    Each year I budget for the fact that the "free" macOS upgrade will end up costing me some funds in upgrades I will need to do for some various apps.

    When the GM was released, I did a couple full clones of my El Capitan install on my main box and then installed the GM. My view is simply if something goes wrong, I could always restore to backups I made. The cool part is that having been testing for the past few months, I did not really run into anything unexpected. I've been on the GM for over a week now (well there have been multiple GMs) and I have not had any issues to cause me to want to go back.

    I have not used all the new features but some are quite nice and the OS is smooth and doing what I need it to. Siri has proven to be more welcomed and I utilize it more that I thought it would.

    To each his own, but I have had a very good experience with the upgrade.

    A.
     
  17. dogslobber macrumors 68040

    dogslobber

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2014
    Location:
    Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
    #42
    This. Generally, if you want stability then you won't upgrade until the first point release as the bugs found late in the test cycle won't be fixed due to risk. The first update is probably the one which is truly customer ready.
     
  18. mmomega macrumors 68030

    mmomega

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2009
    Location:
    DFW, TX
    #43
    Upgraded Day Zero - - - or before day zero.
    I've been running Sierra since DP release on 3 machines and other than a few minor bugs in the beginning releases, the latest GM releases have been fairly solid.
     
  19. 827538 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2013
    #44
    It's not the Pro, there is no USB-C MBP?
    I don't know if you are being sarcastic but the iGPU in it has done a good job so far. I was able to game stream things like Doom and Deus Ex from my gaming rig to my laptop and play them in real time, it was pretty impressive.
     
  20. foxlet macrumors 6502

    foxlet

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2016
    #45
    I've been running Sierra since the first Developer Preview, and the current GM has been working quite nicely on my Mid-2009 Macbook Pro (MacbookPro5,3). The UI is far smoother than Yosemite (around a 10FPS difference on average) and applications seem to work properly too, haven't encountered any incompatibilities compared to Yosemite.

    Once the final version is out, that'll get put into the larger disk.
     
  21. baryon macrumors 68040

    baryon

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2009
    #46
    El Capitan brought on some very serious bugs for me and many people. Namely the entire system completely freezing when watching YouTube videos (this has been fixed in 10.11.6) and Mail not working (hasn't been fixed). So I've almost been a year with an OS that is constantly freezing and not working. If I had skipped El Capitan altogether, I would have had much better luck for a whole year.

    This time, I'd like to skip Sierra altogether for this reason, but since Mail is still not working, I'm hoping that Sierra actually fixes that. If it does fix Mail and doesn't introduce any serious bugs, then I'm sticking with Sierra and skipping whatever OS comes after it. But to find out, I need other people to act as guinea pigs and upgrade before I do, then post on these forums about any bugs. Usually it takes about a month for some issues to show up.

    I would say that an Apple OS still only matures after about the .5 release, at which point it can be considered obsolete anyway. So really, the best time to upgrade is a year after release. By that time, all bugs will have been reported extensively so you will know everything in advance.

    If your system works fine on El Capitan, then I'd recommend you skip Sierra and not takes unnecessary risks. If El Capitan has issues for you, then wait 6 months after release and then upgrade, in hopes of having less, and not more bugs. Ideally, wait a whole year and upgrade to Sierra when the next release comes out.
     
  22. n-evo macrumors 65816

    n-evo

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2013
    Location:
    Amsterdam
  23. azpekt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Location:
    hp, illinois
  24. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    #49
    I am already on the GM and apart form some small bugs it just works™
     
  25. 827538 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2013
    #50
    I just really hope this isn't a repeat of my iOS 10 update and bricks my system. Was seriously not impressed. After owning iPhones since the 3GS it was the first time something like that happened.
     

Share This Page