Who's getting Apple Care + for the iPhone 6/6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deadlocked, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Deadlocked macrumors member

Who's planning on getting Applecare + with the purchase of your new iPhone?? I know I will it came in real handy twice already paid for itself on the first time it cracked pretty much.

2. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

AppleCare+ is definitely worth it. A single drop without AppleCare+ is more expensive than two drops with it.

3. starlight0229 macrumors member

I'm debating about it. I never damaged my 3GS or 4, but just cracked the screen on my 5 a few days ago.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I definitely will. I use my iPhones without a case and having the all aluminum back will make the device a bit more slippery. I'm not careless with my stuff, but it'll be nice to have that peace of mind.

5. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I'm getting it. Increases resell value. Especially if you never use the two accidental damage claims.

6. ktex1968 macrumors member

Am I reading correctly that after you pay your $100 for the protection, you still have to pay $79 per incident?

7. jpcarro, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

Yep...they raised the price of AC+ last year. I passed on it. Not sure this time as I would like to go naked with the iP6.

8. ktex1968 macrumors member

I bought it with my 3GS- I don't recall any fee beyond the upfront charge for the Apple Care.

9. ronm99 macrumors 6502

That is correct ... $79 per accidental damage. Any defects will be covered for free for 2 years.

I will get it just because I don't like to use a case, and there is always the chance I might drop it.

I babied my 5S for a year until last week when my brand new pair of shorts had a defective pocket. I checked a text message, slipped my phone in my pocket, and then cringed when it went right through the pocket onto the pavement!

10. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

so, if you buy AppleCare+ for the iPhone 6 (plus)

and within the 2 year period you get a few scratches on it, and maybe a tiny dent from a drop....couldnt you drop the phone into a pool and then go back for a replacement device for $79?

thus getting an "almost" new phone 1.5-2 years after purchase??

11. IBJanky macrumors member

IBJanky

I don't condone this behavior, but I don't see anything that will stop you from doing that.

----------

I'm getting a case for my new iPhone.

It's cheaper than the $99 AppleCare, and the $79 deductible you need to pay on your first incident.

12. TheBing1980 macrumors member

TheBing1980

I always get it and it's worked out... I thinking folks forget that the battery is covered.

Right before the apple care expires, I take it in and have the battery tested. Since I'm a heavy user (lots of drains/recharges), it fails the battery standards and I get a new phone.

13. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I absolutely will get it. I had to replace two phones within two years and the second replacement left me in the open without coverage for 59days now :eek:

I feel naked without it

14. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Thanks.

my wife has an iPhone 5 and has insurance through ATT. I wasn't sure about doing that or the AC+. I like the service and help via Apple more than ATT.

plus, we have two toddlers who sometime grab our phones and drop or throw them...yea

so, trying to think of a worse case scenario and how it works...if we head to the beach and it gets tossed into the ocean. we'd have less fear for it. not saying we'd throw it in but just getting an idea.

15. Shabbis macrumors regular

I've owned iPhone 1, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. Have never purchased AppleCare+. I plan on purchasing it this time though.

16. Caseynd macrumors regular

Caseynd

I have been wondering about the price? Is it confirmed that it is still only $100 for the 6/6+? I can't find anything on it, price wise.

17. starlight0229 macrumors member

If you tend to be an early adopter you likely only had regular AppleCare which only extends the manufacturer's warranty and does not cover accidental damage. The 3GS was introduced in 2009 and AppleCare+ was not introduced until 2011.

18. anarche macrumors member

anarche

I believe it can be bought within 90 days so feel free to defer this decision until later.

19. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Most definitely getting it. This phone is going to cost me $949. :p

20. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Sure, if you're a scumbag.

21. HJ24 macrumors regular

Damn, with Applecare+ and taxes the 6 or 6+ 128Gb is gonna cost me $1200/$1300!!!!!!!!!

22. Bag302 macrumors regular

23. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

On any iPhone since the iPhone 4 they have been able to replace the battery so you would only get a battery replacement through your warranty. If the phone had liquid damage, however, you could pay the deductible and get a complete replacement.

You have 30 days from the purchase date to add it. :)

24. ec51 macrumors 6502

25. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

Nope. They charge you $50 and send you your replacement overnight. I have used it 3 times on my 5. They will also replace it 4 times instead of the two with applecare.

The one advantage AC+ has is that their refurbished replacements seem to be more thoroughly tested than the ones from Square Trade. Two of my Square Trade phones had very slight issues. They were replaced by sending me another overnight for free, but still a little inconvenient.