Who's glad they still have a "Classic" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikes70mustang, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

All the other threads are full of unibody people crying about the new revisions. I'd just like to say I'm still glad I got my MBP a month before the Unis came out. I still have my DVI(very useful and widely used), express slot(tons of options, SSD, eSata, card readers, etc.), the lovely silver keys, the glossy screen that is glossy and not mirror like, and Firewire 400-800. Anyone else feels this way? Anybody going to get a classic instead of a new uni? The only thing I envy slightly is the track pad. I's still a little on the fence about the trackpad. I like how big it is, which makes it easier for gestures. But I dont use tap to click ever and I hate how the new ones press click(i love my clicker button:D). Thoughts, rants? Anyone else think the classics were the sweet spot?

2. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I think the trackpad is really amazing. I have a BlackBook, and when the new Unibodies came out, I tried the trackpad at the store and it was very difficult for me to use as I was used to the dedicated button, but once I purchased the new Unibody MacBook, I quickly adjusted to it.

Even the very next day, I went back to the BlackBook and found myself trying to click in the middle and attempting the gestures. It's a very efficient trackpad, and the texture of it has a noticeable amount of less resistance.

You might not notice at first, but I have both MacBooks side by side right now, and just going back to the old trackpad it becomes apparent how much better this new one is. The screen on this is also so much better. My old BlackBook just looks and feels really dated now.

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I still rock the classic too..... it's a later Santa Rosa MBP from 2007.

After the first Penryns hit the market, I wasn't to eager to upgrade, so I made a promise to myself that I would not buy another notebook until Apple put a quad core CPU in it and/or I would get twice the performance out of it.

.... and here I am still waiting but it's ok because my MBP is not slow by any means.

4. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yah, but black book and mbp screens are worlds apart. I look at my friends mb and im like wow, my blackberry has a more brilliant screen.
    And i also dont like how hard you have to push to get the new pad to click. I have a moshi cover on my track pad and its fantastic. But of course as long as its not smooth like some of those pcs its fine to me. I hate those smooth ones where my finger sticks instead of sliding.

5. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yah, it would make no sense for me to upgrade. I have better stuff than the new ones, and i get all the multi touch stuff in sept. so its all good.

6. Semiopaque macrumors regular

I'm certainly glad I got my refurb when the unibodies first came out. At $1500 then, I think that's still a pretty decent deal now. Matte screen and all the stuff you said. Still love it and I like the "clicker button" a lot too :)

I'll wait for new graphics and whatever else they roll out in the next year or so to upgrade (SDXC and/or USB 3.0?).

7. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

(Homer Simpson Voice) Mmmmm clicker button

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd think he'd he looking at the new screen and saying "Mmmmm Donuts...." and drooling over the trackpad.

9. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Right before hes blinded by the glass screen and falls down the stairs.

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Sure, I'm very glad I have the classic mbp. I actually bought mine after the unibodies were released because I got an awesome deal - 1350 for the 2,5 ghz 512 mb 8600 gfx card model back in October.

I prefer the matte screen, the full sized dvi port and fw 400+800. And the expresscard slot is way more usefull than that new sd card slot. You can put an sd card reader in there if you want one, but as far as I know we will be able to put an usb3 expresscard thing in there next year. ;)

11. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Just like the FW on the Macbooks, Express34 will be back.

I still have my Classic MBP and love the matte screen. I was planning on buying a new one anyway so I can keep one on my desk the whole time, so the Classic is my on-the-road companion. Still one of the best feature wise.

DVI, Expresscard, FW 400-800, Matte. I still love it! :D

12. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Nice, same as me that I got around the same time. Is that 1350 Euro or USD? No wait...don't tell me...I like to think I got an awesome deal... ;)

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

My MBP sits in clamshell most of the time, so I don't even use half the stuff inside. Had these selections been available, I would've probably gone with the $1199 MBP. The 9400M is way better than this ATI 1200, and the CPU is a wee bit better. The hard drive is crap, but I upgraded this one with little problem. I would possibly be tempted for the $1699 model, but I dunno. It's all moot because this one shall last me at least another two years, if not longer. Got a car to pay off!

14. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I still love my grandma, too.

15. lindstrom macrumors member

Yupp, chiming in on this as well.

Last October I got my early 2008 MPB 2,4Ghz, matte, from Amazon for $1440 after rebate and with no tax. It was a really sweet deal, and I do like the "old" look much better than the new unibody look.

16. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Well, you can easily guess that by looking at my location. :D

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yup count me in although i have to be honest, i was contemplating upgrading due to anxiety over the 8600GT issue but after seeing the recent revisions i think im gonna hold on tight on to my current machine and just get AppleCare for it

Hopefully in 3 yrs Apple would've ditched Nvidia for ATI, Blu-Ray would be shipping + other niceities and i'd have found a reason to upgrade. As it stands the MBP Classic was the last real 'pro' machine from Apple IMHO and i'm not just saying that because i own one. The current machines are more prosumer than anything else

18. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yah the vid card problems have to be the only downside to the whole deal. but if you dont have a bad one there is no down side.

19. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

I would hope so...

But nonetheless, the deal I got on the Classic (similar to everyone else) couldn't be passed down. Kind of like the MBPs on Amazon right now...

20. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

As far as I know we have 3 years warranty for the 8600 cards from apple anyway because of the issues. Nice but necessary move.

So far I hope that mine is a good one - knocks on wood. I have used it pretty heavily for the last 8 months, Adobe CS3/4, Cinema 4D in OS X and Fallout 3, Mirrors Edge, Tomb Raider Underworld, Bioshock and Left 4 Dead under windows without issues so far. I know it can happen any day, but usually I don't worry about it.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I've dropped my Santa Rosa on pavement and she's still running well. There's little I like about the unibody machines.

22. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

if you would have dropped a uni youd be crying in another thread right now;)

23. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Liab, noch a Ösi. Bist vielleicht a in Wien? :)

24. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm even more glad I have a classic MBP now that the new ones don't have replaceable batteries.

25. m85476585 macrumors 65816

My 15" Classic MBP gets better with every update! First it was the glossy screen, the mini displayport, and the Firewire 400. Now it's the expresscard slot and the replaceable battery. Thanks, Apple, for making my old MBP more valuable with every update to the new ones! It is more than fast enough to last until there is an update worth upgrading too (double the processor speed and double GPU power would be worth it; 20% faster CPU and 20% faster GPU is not worth it at all). I already have 6gb of RAM, and I am thinking about replacing the optical drive with a second hard drive. When prices come down, I will probably replace the primary hard drive with a SSD.