Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
I think we start one of these every launch too, but I think it's still a valid question each year!

Who's going nekkid this year? Personally, I've always put on some kind of case (usually the Apple case), but I think I'm going to try and go naked with the 7Plus Matte Black.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
No i am going to slap a case on my jet black iPhone 7 when it arrives ( spigen liquid armor or ultra hybrid)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yeah never use a case never if you like dinged dented scratched shattered iPhone :D

Case users like to think that, but many of us manage to rock it naked for the entire year and still have it look better than many year-old iPhones that we see on eBay whose scratches/imprints/rash the sellers blame on the case.

Tekzilla

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Shoreham, NY
I'm going from a 6+ in a Defender Otterbox to a 7+ in a Apple Leather case. So to me thats practically naked.

Do you naked folks even use screen protectors?

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
I prefer naked, and always used to have my iPhones that way (except for a glass screen protector).... It wasn't so much of an issue with the glass back 4/4S.... My 5 got quite scratched...

Then since the 6 Plus cost so much and I was concerned about the size and slippiness I changed tact. I discovered Spigen Neo Hybrid cases - good quality, slim models and a separate bumper to take the impact of drops - I've continued with the glass protector, and I've had both the 6 Plus and 6S Plus protected from any damage on multiple occasions.... That's meant I've got full-whack trade in values and they've paid for themselves....

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah never use a case never if you like dinged dented scratched shattered iPhone :D
No issues here. 11 months. No cases.
[doublepost=1473867086][/doublepost]
I'm going from a 6+ in a Defender Otterbox to a 7+ in a Apple Leather case. So to me thats practically naked.

Do you naked folks even use screen protectors?
No.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I'm pretty sure I will be for the most part. I'll probably get a case for times it might really matter though. The phone is just sooooooo much nicer without a case.

nav92

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2013
I am #TeamNoCase always but the leather case for 7+ looks really interesting. Plus this is a jump from 5S for me so the slippery design will go well with the leather case for me I guess.

rodiak

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Portland, OR
I think we start one of these every launch too, but I think it's still a valid question each year!

Who's going nekkid this year? Personally, I've always put on some kind of case (usually the Apple case), but I think I'm going to try and go naked with the 7Plus Matte Black.

Rarely put a case on my iPhones but got the Jet Black this year so I'm worried. Got this for the back though: https://www.slickwraps.com/iphone-7-plus-naked-wrap.html

We'll see how it'll do.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Or be careful with the expensive item you bought.

I have never used cases and all my phones going back to the original one have been fine.
I have a theory that some case users (not all, but some) become LESS careful with their devices because subconsciously they believe the case will protect the device. After all, that's why they got a case right?

I believe my theory is probable because I see more device users with cases tossing their devices around then I ever do those that do not use cases.

Again, not all case users - just some.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Rarely put a case on my iPhones but got the Jet Black this year so I'm worried. Got this for the back though: https://www.slickwraps.com/iphone-7-plus-naked-wrap.html

We'll see how it'll do.

It's most likely not any more scratch prone (and may even be more scratch resistant) than the glossy "jet black" iPhone 3G/3GS, which was a fingerprint and swirl mark magnet. The real reason why Apple has that disclaimer is most likely because we've had three years of silver/gold/light space gray iPhones and so people are no longer used to scratches like back in the 3G/4 series days (especially with black iPhones), and they know from experience how anal retentive some of their customers are. It's just a CYA tactic for them.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I bought a cheap ultra thin clear gel cover for my matte black 7+. Mainly just so I have some sort of protection when I just get it, in case I find that the phone when naked is too slippery or scratches easily.

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
I have a theory that some case users (not all, but some) become LESS careful with their devices because subconsciously they believe the case will protect the device. After all, that's why they got a case right?

I believe my theory is probable because I see more device users with cases tossing their devices around then I ever do those that do not use cases.

Again, not all case users - just some.

I hear ya! Some of us are just clumsy though.....! I am very careful with my expensive items - but clumsiness wins out far too much. The problem with being clumsy is that no matter what you do to try not to be, you're still clumsy (and sometimes trying too hard makes you clumsier!).

The easiest way to describe it to most people is that it's like when someone's sleeping and you're trying to be extra quiet, but the harder you try the more noise you make....

Two people that don't know each other have each hailed me "the clumsiest man in the world".... So, although I don't want to use a case and protector, it makes sense if I want to sell the device a year later....

Reactions: eyoungren

Gr81MB

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Defiantly going naked with my Matte Black iPhone 7! FIRST TIME! Too Beautiful to cover it up with a case! Got applecare+ as well!

IMEX1PCT

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015

No case for me. Ever.

Why ruin the beautiful design with a clunky case?

Apple did not spend millions upon millions of dollars on the design aesthetic of this phone for it to be covered.

I dont care too much for 'protection'; I may always buy another handset if something goes wrong.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I hear ya! Some of us are just clumsy though.....! I am very careful with my expensive items - but clumsiness wins out far too much. The problem with being clumsy is that no matter what you do to try not to be, you're still clumsy (and sometimes trying too hard makes you clumsier!).

The easiest way to describe it to most people is that it's like when someone's sleeping and you're trying to be extra quiet, but the harder you try the more noise you make....

Two people that don't know each other have each hailed me "the clumsiest man in the world".... So, although I don't want to use a case and protector, it makes sense if I want to sell the device a year later....
Oh, I'm clumsy. Very.

But in the back of my head more is "I can't afford to break this device." so I use two hands, place the phone in specific spots, etc, etc.

To be honest though, I dropped my iPhone 5 several times and my iPhone 6+ I dropped ONCE. Just once cracked the screen. I have dropped my 6s+ a few times but never more than a few inches. There have been some higher drops but those all happened on carpet.

Both my 5 and my 6 though, through forcing myself to handle them in certain ways, over time have put muscle memory into me so that subconciously I am protecting the device when it's in my hands.

Which is not to say I'm not still clumsy.

PS., I work with a woman who can trip herself on flat and even ground. She's broken more of my stuff than I care to count by her lack of attention. Hence a lot of my protective measures at work to keep my phone the hell away from her!

Reactions: MrBukey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.