Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I backed a Kickstarter project earlier this year for a 'Whisky Watch'.
Inspired by the natural beauty and heritage of Scotland using reclaimed whisky barrels.
It arrived today and it's very nice. It's of the first batch they did and they're all handmade and personally signed. All of the watches hereafter will be produced in a factory on a line.

IMG_8615.jpg IMG_8614.JPG

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
After 21 yrs of working in a physical environment where I couldn't wear my nice watches through fear of them getting damaged, Ive now got a nice comfy office job which means I can finally start wearing them. They now seem to be fetching much more money than I paid for them, but these are keepers...

Omega Planet Ocean purchased in 2012 for £1,800
46181253271_cbb7dd32c5_k.jpg

Rolex Explorer 2 purchased in 2006 for £2,000
31270054577_8c513764d7_k.jpg

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
After 21 yrs of working in a physical environment where I couldn't wear my nice watches through fear of them getting damaged, Ive now got a nice comfy office job which means I can finally start wearing them. They now seem to be fetching much more money than I paid for them, but these are keepers...

Those are so nice! enjoy wearing them all the time now!

Reactions: Big Stevie

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011

That Omega is quite a looker.

Reactions: Big Stevie

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
That AP is absolutely gorgeous, amazing watch!

It is sad that I have such a beautiful mechanical collection and I rarely ever touch them because I wear my AW.

:apple:
I also own, and use daily, a Series 4 Apple Watch. But to me it doesn't replace my real watch. So I wear my Omega Seamaster on my left hand and the Apple Watch (I call it my wrist computer) on my right.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I also own, and use daily, a Series 4 Apple Watch. But to me it doesn't replace my real watch. So I wear my Omega Seamaster on my left hand and the Apple Watch (I call it my wrist computer) on my right.

I tried that and it just does not work for me, but hey, more power to you that you can actually wear both!

Reactions: MadDane

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008

I tried that and it just does not work for me, but hey, more power to you that you can actually wear both!

I've contemplated this also, and I can't pull it off. Have bought 2 AWs and while I love the utility, it is not a watch per se, and I always revert to mechanicals.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've contemplated this also, and I can't pull it off. Have bought 2 AWs and while I love the utility, it is not a watch per se, and I always revert to mechanicals.
I'm the same way. I have a series 2 AW and I never wear it anymore. I stick to my traditional watches 99% of the time.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I'm the same way. I have a series 2 AW and I never wear it anymore. I stick to my traditional watches 99% of the time.

I wish I could get back into wearing my traditional/mechanical watches, but during the day at work (medical doctor) I always wear my AW for two reasons really. One, I am doing rounds all day and just like to keep track of all my health metrics. Two, hospital policy really encourages us not to wear any fancy jewelry around the patients, which I do not really get but okay.

I do wear my mechanical watches if I am going out to try and meet a woman, or obviously if I am going to some fancy event.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I wish I could get back into wearing my traditional/mechanical watches, but during the day at work (medical doctor) I always wear my AW for two reasons really. One, I am doing rounds all day and just like to keep track of all my health metrics. Two, hospital policy really encourages us not to wear any fancy jewelry around the patients, which I do not really get but okay.
Interesting I work in a hospital (computer doctor) as well and I see number of different staff wear nice watches and other jewelry. I love see it. Im also surprised when some staff work a lot with equipment that emit radiation.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008

I do wear my mechanical watches if I am going out to try and meet a woman, or obviously if I am going to some fancy event.

I can understand this.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Interesting I work in a hospital (computer doctor) as well and I see number of different staff wear nice watches and other jewelry. I love see it. Im also surprised when some staff work a lot with equipment that emit radiation.

The administration does not really like us wearing our super fancy watches like a Rolex, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, etc. Apparently, they feel like it is showing off in a way...and not just showing off for patients, but also between MD's, PA's, NP's, and nurses. It is a weird policy that is not really enforced hard.

Now, the one that is enforced hard (and I understand why) is the cologne for men, and perfume for women. You never know what type of cologne/perfume could set off a patients allergies or if they allergic to something in it. I love wearing cologne, but I do follow the policy...most days...sometimes I put a squirt of my favorite cologne Versace Eros on my neck.

Hospitals are crazy places to work, and I am not just talking about the patients. Doctors get jealous of other doctors and what not. I have seen doctors spend tens of thousands of dollars to "out-class" another doctor. Doctors are not the only guilty ones either. Some PA's, NP's, and nurses do the same things, just less money spent.

It.Is.Crazy!

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
try working for a lawfirm lol.

:apple:[/QUOTE]
The administration does not really like us wearing our super fancy watches like a Rolex, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, etc. Apparently, they feel like it is showing off in a way...and not just showing off for patients, but also between MD's, PA's, NP's, and nurses. It is a weird policy that is not really enforced hard.

Now, the one that is enforced hard (and I understand why) is the cologne for men, and perfume for women. You never know what type of cologne/perfume could set off a patients allergies or if they allergic to something in it. I love wearing cologne, but I do follow the policy...most days...sometimes I put a squirt of my favorite cologne Versace Eros on my neck.

Hospitals are crazy places to work, and I am not just talking about the patients. Doctors get jealous of other doctors and what not. I have seen doctors spend tens of thousands of dollars to "out-class" another doctor. Doctors are not the only guilty ones either. Some PA's, NP's, and nurses do the same things, just less money spent.

It.Is.Crazy!

Reactions: cdcastillo

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
The AP is gorgeous - well wear; classic and quite lovely.

While I can admire the Panerai, it is not a brand I am especially partial to, but I hope you derive pleasure from being able to wear it.

Thanks. The AP will stick around for a bit. I do like it even more in the flesh than I thought I would. The Panerai is another stop gap until I find something I really like. I just had to swap out the other one because I could not read the date under the cyclops.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.