Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
My Japanese domestic market SARB033.

Some say it's a poor man's Rolex Explorer.
$350 vs. $6000+

View attachment 874811
It's a baby Grand Seiko and it is an amazing watch in it's own right. Anyone that equates it to a Rolex, doesn't know what a Grand Seiko is and/or has never heard of Credor. Both of which easily match or exceed Rolex.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
It's a baby Grand Seiko and it is an amazing watch in it's own right. Anyone that equates it to a Rolex, doesn't know what a Grand Seiko is and/or has never heard of Credor. Both of which easily match or exceed Rolex.

Grand Seiko's finishing of the case, hands, and dial rivals that of a Rolex for sure. It's fantastic. But inside the watch, the fine finishing details of the Rolex go deeper into the movement than in a Grand Seiko. Here is my only Grand Seiko, and I went with the 9F HAQ movement in mine, so it would be special in it's own right (+5 sec/year).

IMG_1280.jpeg

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
Grand Seiko's finishing of the case, hands, and dial rivals that of a Rolex for sure. It's fantastic. But inside the watch, the fine finishing details of the Rolex go deeper into the movement than in a Grand Seiko. Here is my only Grand Seiko, and I went with the 9F HAQ movement in mine, so it would be special in it's own right (+5 sec/year).

View attachment 876336
The 9f quartz movement is an amazingly accurate movement! Better than the spring drive tech used in new GS watches. I was referring to the newer GS watches though, with the 9R and 9S movements.

The Credor Eiche models are what really put Rolex to shame though. Take a look and you'll see what i mean. The Eiche II is my holy grail of watches. Truly unique time pieces.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
The 9f quartz movement is an amazingly accurate movement! Better than the spring drive tech used in new GS watches. I was referring to the newer GS watches though, with the 9R and 9S movements.

The Credor Eiche models are what really put Rolex to shame though. Take a look and you'll see what i mean. The Eiche II is my holy grail of watches. Truly unique time pieces.

The Credor Eiche II is an entirely different animal from the typical 9R Grand Seiko.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Grand Seikos still use a flat hairspring with a conventional regulator. All Rolexes are freesprung, and most current models(if not all) have Breguet overcoil hairsprings.

The latter is both capable of better timekeeping, and also is a fair bit more difficult to "get right" when initially setting up the watch.

There's also the whole fact that I just sent a 30+ year old Rolex off for service and reconditioning to factory standards. There are a lot of watchmakers who are more than capable of doing that, and doing it with factory parts, for Rolexes. With a Seiko that old, you're on your own.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Looking for a casual leather band watch. Casio series 500, 800 & 900 Edifice getting better and better in term of looks and quality but struggling to pick one of those....

Screenshot_2019-08-12_234334.jpg 20191124_224924.jpg Casio-Edifice-EQB800-2.jpg 20191124_225117.jpg casio-efr-556l-1avuef-watch-casio-edifice-efr-556l-1avuef.jpg 20191124_225459.jpg download.png

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Can't say I really like them, but intrigued - yes. They appear to be home made. Needless to say I'd guess they'd raise a few eyebrows, and take a few rewards in the totally bizarre stakes.
[automerge]1578782973[/automerge]
Could someone pls identify the model ref of THIS Casio that was shown on an earlier 24th Nov post?

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Agreed, Tudors are amazing, but I especially love the old classic Tudors, those lovely clean designs from the 50s and 60s.
Honestly, if I were in the market for a Rolex, I would probably save the money and get the Tudor. ETA movements don't bother me at all.

Trying to choose between an Aquaracer and a Seamaster right now, myself. Both have ETA movements, I believe.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Honestly, if I were in the market for a Rolex, I would probably save the money and get the Tudor. ETA movements don't bother me at all.

Trying to choose between an Aquaracer and a Seamaster right now, myself. Both have ETA movements, I believe.

Agreed.

Re the two you have mentioned, which of them do you really prefer? Which would you prefer on your wrist? Have you tried them both, to see what they look like and how they feel when you wear them?

Before I bought my current watch, an Omega Deville, over a decade ago, I had visited the shop (store) where I bought it at least half a dozen times over the previous two years, trying on the watch, seeing it and feeling it, on my wrist.

However, I am also partial to those Rolex movements - and that style of watch face - from the 60s (and 50s) - personally, I love that clean, elegant, understated style of design.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Agreed.

Re the two you have mentioned, which of them do you really prefer? Which would you prefer on your wrist? Have you tried them both, to see what they look like and how they feel when you wear them?

Before I bought my current watch, an Omega Deville, over a decade ago, I had visited the shop (store) where I bought it at least half a dozen times over the previous two years, trying on the watch, seeing it and feeling it, on my wrist.

However, I am also partial to those Rolex movements - and that style of watch face - from the 60s (and 50s) - personally, I love that clean, elegant, understated style of design.
I'm still evaluating, but I am leaning towards paying that extra cash for the Omega.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland

TUDOR watches don't come with ETA movements anymore:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.