Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Indeed it is. A Bremont U2 Blue.

I’ll be honest, I’m not really big on watch manufacturers etc but having done a little research it appears I did well here.

A couple more pics...

the combination of the brushed case finish with that deep blue dial is just impeccable. What a looker!

also that golden rotor in the movement is absolutely gorgeous. The finishing across the watch is excellent.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
the combination of the brushed case finish with that deep blue dial is just impeccable. What a looker!

also that golden rotor in the movement is absolutely gorgeous. The finishing across the watch is excellent.
Thanks. As I say.. this is my first mechanical watch and I’ve been wearing it with pride since receiving it as a gift for Christmas.

I had zero knowledge of mechanical watches, but even for a noobie like me it does seem to tick all the boxes. A small bit of research would seem to suggest I did very well to be gifted this. I shall look after it well.

I guess the only downside at the moment it that my Apple Watch isn’t getting much love.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Citizen eco-drives are so reliable and often underrated by the horological community.
IMHO, the horological community have never gotten over their butt hurt from being dethroned by quartz.

I say that as somebody who loves & owns mechanical watches. But my beater is a quartz Timex that cost less than $100, and I love it too. ?

Reactions: Pilot Jones

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Breguet is a solid ultra-luxury model. I would put it above Rolex but below something like Audemars Piguet. It's an incredible watchmaker.

Ah, of course, I have heard of Breguet.

They manufacture high end watches.

However, the poster had written "Bremont", - with which I am not familiar - and which I had asked because I was unable to read the name of the watch in the image posted.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Ah, of course, I have heard of Breguet.

They manufacture high end watches.

However, the poster had written "Bremont", - with which I am not familiar - and which I had asked because I was unable to read the name of the watch in the image posted.

Bremont is a really young brand and makes decent but overpriced watches (resale value is catastrophic, so best buy used). Last I checked they use ETA/Selitta movements. I'd put them below Omega, Tudor.

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
Bremont is a really young brand and makes decent but overpriced watches (resale value is catastrophic, so best buy used). Last I checked they use ETA/Selitta movements. I'd put them below Omega, Tudor.

Tudor also uses ETA and (confirmed on WUS) some Selitta movements. Tudor does not use in-house movements on many of their watches.

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
IMG_0413.jpeg

Current daily. Grand Seiko SBGA211 ("Snowflake").

Been through a ton of buying and selling this year.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Tudor also uses ETA and (confirmed on WUS) some Selitta movements. Tudor does not use in-house movements on many of their watches.
Most Tudors use in-house movements now. The exceptions are either small or chronographs. So like, the Black Bay bezel less line uses Selitta. That being said, the heavy hitters (The Heritage Black Bays and the Black Bay 58) use in-house movements. Breitling actually makes the chronograph movement for Tudor.

Tudor movements are great overall. COSC accuracy on a 70 hour power reserve at 4 hz. Even Omega can't do that right now.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008

I didn't say Tudor doesn't use ETA. That said, Tudor is at least trying to go upmarket. Their popular models (basically Black Bay and Pelagos) use in-house movements.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sorry, I guess I missed it:

What's wrong with using ETA movements? A Tudor regulated ETA movement is still one of the best in the industry

Last edited:

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Thanks. As I say.. this is my first mechanical watch and I’ve been wearing it with pride since receiving it as a gift for Christmas.

I had zero knowledge of mechanical watches, but even for a noobie like me it does seem to tick all the boxes. A small bit of research would seem to suggest I did very well to be gifted this. I shall look after it well.

I guess the only downside at the moment it that my Apple Watch isn’t getting much love.

You definitely did phenomenal for a first watch...god I wish I had $5000 for my first one! ?

It's also good you got an automatic movement as a newbie to the watch game. My first was a handsome Seiko SNKL23 which is also an automatic (posted its picture a page or two ago).

I hope this timepiece pulls you deeper into the delightful world of watches. Getting into mechanical watches is a dangerous game to say the least (monetarily speaking)! But I wouldn't change that for anything, I love my watches and I'm so glad I can appreciate what makes them so special.

Last edited:
Reactions: andy2141

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
IMHO, the horological community have never gotten over their butt hurt from being dethroned by quartz.

I say that as somebody who loves & owns mechanical watches. But my beater is a quartz Timex that cost less than $100, and I love it too. ?

Very true. Seiko single-handedly uppercut the global watch industry in a single move with the Quartz Astron. Countless small watchmakers folded and many big names barely made it out alive.

The Quartz Crisis is one of the most dynamic chapters in watch history...elite watchmakers completely reinventing themselves overnight to stay relevant, moving the focus from technical perfection & fanciful design to clean-cut, brutalist luxury (with a little help from Gerald Genta of course).

Seiko is, in a way, directly responsible for the creation of watches like the AP Royal Oak, Patek's Nautilus and Vacheron Constantin's Overseas, just to name a few...now arguably some of the most iconic & sought after watches of all time.

The entire high-end sports luxury watch genre owes it's gratitude to the Quartz Crisis. Necessity truly is the mother of invention, and in this case the necessity was survival — the most primal need of them all.

So yes, lots of bad blood due to quartz. I don't think the Swiss will be forgetting that anytime soon!

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Sorry, I guess I missed it:

What's wrong with using ETA movements? A Tudor regulated ETA movement is still one of the best in the industry

Nothing wrong with ETA, ETA movements are great. It all depends on the price point. The higher the price goes, the harder it is to justify off the shelf parts.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I own a few Seiko’s from the SKX007/009 to the SARB016. Pics in this thread somewhere. Such good watches for the price. I should wear them more than I do!

Is your SARB016 the one with the deep green dial and cathedral hands? Because that’s a gorgeous timepiece...you should definitely wear it more often!

I’ve been eyes the Oris Big Crown watches for a while and it seems your watch has a strikingly similar look. Great taste! ?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Is your SARB016 the one with the deep green dial and cathedral hands? Because that’s a gorgeous timepiece...you should definitely wear it more often!

I’ve been eyes the Oris Big Crown watches for a while and it seems your watch has a strikingly similar look. Great taste!
Do you know what I got my digits completely wrong, apologies. I have a SARB033, here it is:
6a6f16c04cd769139e127f06163728ea.jpg

I’m out of practise discussing mechanical watches and used to be a member of WUS for a few years. The SARB017 was a watch I had my eye on but never bought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.