Who's keeping their 1st Gen SS apple watch and not upgrading?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Benz63amg, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Benz63amg, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Who's keeping their 1st Gen SS apple watch and not upgrading? I am not upgrading personally, there aren't any new sensors in the new series 2 model, i dont care about the dual core processor as i dont use use the apps on my apple watch anyways, i use my watch as a daily fitness tracker to track my heart rate, calories , steps etc, and to get notifications throughout the day and thats about it,

if the series 2 had some new sensor that could track a new health measurment such as blood oxyegn etc etc then it would be a great upgrade but i mean seriously the built in GPS is pretty useless since everyone is going to bring their phone with them anyways when they go for a run, i guess if they don't then its good that the watch now has built in GPS but its not a must have feature by any means

2. Sledguyry macrumors newbie

I preordered a series 2 ss and after Target didn't come through with the launch day delivery date and I spent a few days with watch os3 on my first gen ss I decided to cancel my order with target and keep my current watch. Hopefully series 4 will have a killer must have feature that will get me to upgrade.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I would not mind it faster for the two apps I used but it is not worth the cot for that.

4. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

yeah , series 3 should have a redesign and some new sensor that will measure some new health data hopefully, The heart rate sensor is even the same in the series 2 so really whats the point of upgrading just for the built in GPS,

If there was a new heart rate sensor in the series 2 then i might have wanted to upgrade but thats not the case

5. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

I agree. I don't think this one is intended for first generation people to upgrade. I'm guessing the next major upgrade will be for us. There really isn't anything worth 400 dollars more than my current watch about it for me.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

To each their own. I feel their is more to love about the improvements in the Watch than the iPhone this year.

That said I just grabbed a 38mm ss from Best Buy for my wife. $250 was too good to pass up. And I sold her sport for $180 tonight too so... pretty happy with that.

7. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

What uppgrades? lol the bult in gps and the brighter display are the only notable upgrades, who cares about the dual core processor its not like im using my apps on the watch and even if i did it never looked like my apple watch 1 can't run apps well nor did it ever look it needed a dual core processor, is it good to have a dual core processor? sure. but not worth selling my SS 42mm apple watch 1 for half the price just to upgrade and get built in GPS(useless if you carry the iPhone with you), brighter display and dual core cpu

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Gps is something I'm using daily; I now carry a very small flip phone for emergency use while out. I'm hopeful either Apple makes use of the barometer or allows third party access. Brighter screen is a wash for me; I compared the screen to my wife's Watch and it doesn't really matter since I can see both just fine. The added waterproofing is also a plus for me. The processor is mostly a wash. The first gen Watch still choppy st times but hardly unusable.

I'm speaking for myself (as I mentioned). This is a more useful expenditure of my money than the iPhone 7 is, coming from 6s.

9. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i actually haven't seen the new "brighter display" of the apple watch series 2 in person yet, so you're saying the difference is not even noticeable compared to the apple watch 1 display?

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It is. But it only activates in very bright light. You can't manual set it (top brightness is the same in both devices). The series two is clearer in direct sun but I don't have much issue with the original Watch in direct sun either. It's an extremely situational improvement at best.

If I had to compare to something it's like the 6s vs 7 screen. You probably won't. Priced a difference unless you're comparing the two side by side looking for differences.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I only bought my second hand 1st gen SS last Friday so I don't expect to upgrade just yet. :)

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yep 18-31 oct for me

14. leenak macrumors 68020

I had an 38mm watch that I never used so I'm probably not typical. I decided to buy the 42mm for the better battery. I also go walking a lot and never take my phone which makes GPS useful and I joined a new gym that is opening soon that had multiple pools so I'll be able to swim with it as well. I didn't get SS because I prefer lightness and matte look. And overall, I feel 18 months is an acceptable upgrade cycle. I was concerned with the increased height but so far it hasn't bothered me.

15. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Here, me. I am so happy with wOS 3 that I don't feel the need to upgrade. I'll wait another 18-24 months and upgrade to series 3.

16. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'm keeping mine (SBSS) because I absolutely love the look of it.

But I might become a 'watch collector' (haha) and buy a regular SS as well? I swim a lot and waterproofing and swim workouts would be nice.

17. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Lol what exactly made you cave in? im really not seeing any breathtaking feature to drool about and cave in on the series 2 apple watch, and trust me i usually cave in when i hear about a new apple product, heck thats why i just got my new iPhone 7 Plus which is fantastic

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

GPS
    Better speed
    Improved water resistance

I do a lot of fitness so the added GPS is fairly big for me and now i've joined a gym where i get access to the pool which i want to start doing again also played a factor

And of course it's new...can't help myself.

19. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

In that case it's worth it but I just can't sell my AW1 SS for 300$ which is nearly half of what I paid for it just to get the new aw2

20. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

That's me with GPS. I have the Gen 1, I don't see a reason (speed-wise) to upgrade... Maybe since I have the SS + Milanese, I can sell and come pretty close to a Gen 2 aluminum but... not completely sure I want to.

21. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

I had that thought as well of selling my 42mm SS AW1 and get the 2nd gen Aw2 42mm aluminum but that will be such a step down in terms of quality of looks and beautiful feel of the SS Apple Watch , the aluminum doesn't look as expensive and feel like a real Watch

22. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I was all set on upgrading to the Series 2 SS until I saw the first side by side speed tests. I was disappointed that the Series 2 seemed about the same for most functions.

I think after all the apps are optimized for WatchOS 3 the differences will be even less pronounced. It won't be until newer more powerful apps are created that the S2 makes a real difference. And by then, I'll be ready to upgrade to Series 3.

Plus, since I have the stainless steel version, my watch screen is PERFECT. And after a good polish the stainless steel case still looks amazing. If I had a ratty scratched up aluminum watch I may have upgraded just to get a nicer looking watch. I think the SS steel version makes upgrading every other generation much more doable. Besides, as someone else mentioned, you're not really getting anything different. The next watch will probably be a game-changer.

23. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Well said, the aw2 got great little updates and I'm sure it's great to have these new features but to sell the AW1 SS for half of what it cost me is silly, it's like a real watch compared to the aluminium model which is literally like these funky toy watches on people's wrists, the SS got nice heft to it as well so selling the AW1 SS to get a series 2 aluminum won't be a smart move no matter how you look at it

24. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Im keeping my series 1 link bracelet until AC+ runs out upgrade to the AW 3 :) hopefully the next edition is made of titanium with brushed or polished options but I've been tempted with the ceramic one.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2016 ---
    I haven't check how are prices going for the OG series SS but I never expected for the price to hold much nor I planned to ever sell it, il just collect the cases and use my link bracelet with the new ones until they change how it slides lol