Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikesmith72

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
Houston, TX
I'll be keeping my 5S until a new 4" is introduced (hoping). I'm was out of contract when the 6 came out and tried it for a week or so but the size did not work for me personally once even a minimal case was put on. I have one arm so one-handed usability is key for me. The 6 is just a little too big in my hand for stable one-handed use. I do have a 6 as my work phone used for iOS testing/troubleshooting that just gets used primarily at my desk, so I get opportunity to try and make it work, just doesn't for me.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I bought my 5s in February, and, although I could have gotten the 6, I didn't due to the bigger and more uncomfortable size. I am happy I got the 5s. Who knows until when I'll keep it, but now I have definitely no desire to upgrade.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Ummm not sure I 100% agree.

My iPhone 6 Plus is as nice if not better especially in reference to screen size for my old eyes. ;)
Remember when the leaked iphone 6 photos were out? Everyone hated their design. Now people seem to pretend that they've always loved it...lol

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
the battery on my 5s has turned to utter garbage, even with all of the location services off, and all those other hidden features you can turn off to conserve battery.

I love the phone, but I need a bigger screen. I do a lot of reading on my phone, and between the smaller screen and horrible battery, I am 100% upgrading to the new iPhone when it comes out. I am very excited for my phone to sit on my desk and not go from 100 to 84% in an hour.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
the battery on my 5s has turned to utter garbage, even with all of the location services off, and all those other hidden features you can turn off to conserve battery.

I love the phone, but I need a bigger screen. I do a lot of reading on my phone, and between the smaller screen and horrible battery, I am 100% upgrading to the new iPhone when it comes out. I am very excited for my phone to sit on my desk and not go from 100 to 84% in an hour.
My battery is annoying as well; however, mine is due to a bad battery. I'll be getting a replacement rather than getting a new iPhone cause I love this size!

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
I am very excited for my phone to sit on my desk and not go from 100 to 84% in an hour.
That's bad. I'm satisfied with the batterylife of my nearly two year old 5S. I last charged it when it was down to 19% after a standby time of 53h and usage of 6h.

Glaxaymixc

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
i like the design of 5s, but i can't control myself to do not buy the new one, why?:-(

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I posted earlier on this thread that I was either going to keep my iPhone 5 and change the battery or get the 6s. Well I ordered a new iPhone battery from Amazon for $19.99 (included OEM Apple battery and tool kit) then watched a video online how to change it and I did it in less than 10 mins. I now have a brand new battery in my iPhone 5, today was the first day on a full charge with the new battery and so far I'm at 5 hrs 25 mins usage and standby is 22 hrs 55 mins and I'm currently at 17% left. I've never had these results in a long long time and the new battery should get better since it's brand new. I'm loving my iPhone 5 again and I saved $60.00 changing the battery myself.

So I may hold out another year with my 5 and wait for the re-designed 7.

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
I posted earlier on this thread that I was either going to keep my iPhone 5 and change the battery or get the 6s. Well I ordered a new iPhone battery from Amazon for $19.99 (included OEM Apple battery and tool kit) then watched a video online how to change it and I did it in less than 10 mins. I now have a brand new battery in my iPhone 5, today was the first day on a full charge with the new battery and so far I'm at 5 hrs 25 mins usage and standby is 22 hrs 55 mins and I'm currently at 17% left. I've never had these results in a long long time and the new battery should get better since it's brand new. I'm loving my iPhone 5 again and I saved $60.00 changing the battery myself.

So I may hold out another year with my 5 and wait for the re-designed 7.

Even though I have a 5s, could you share who the Amazon link? Curious if they have one for mine.

Thanks

Last edited:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Even though I have a 5s, could you share who the Amazon link? Curious if they have one for mine.

Thanks

Here is the link for the iPhone 5 OEM battery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WNIE0YO/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g107_i1_sh

Here is the link for the iPhone 5s OEM battery (click on the button for 5s model)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YM20SC2/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g107_i4_sh

Here is a cheap tool kit
http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Includ...rewdriver/dp/B00A0P3XUY/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_y

You can also get the battery and the tool kit sold together for about $20.00

Also search you tube for how to change your iphone 5s battery there's a ton of people showing you how to do it, it's easy. The battery that came out of my iPhone was put in at Apple store when I had it changed over a year ago during the battery recall so it was a factory battery and when I compared the battery I ordered above to the one in the phone the specs and #'s all matched up so it's OEM.

Reactions: CYKBC

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Just checked out a 6 at a verizon store. I still think it is a bit too large to type comfortably with one hand. Honestly I don't notice a huge difference in overall usability in the little bits of time I've used it on displays in stores recently, except for the one handed typing and use which is certainly important. Idk. I think it really comes down to the fact that I really don't think a phone needs to be bigger than 4 inches. My 5s is super portable and comfortable to use, so why get a bigger iPhone when 4inches is already great? Anyone here agree?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Just checked out a 6 at a verizon store. I still think it is a bit too large to type comfortably with one hand. Honestly I don't notice a huge difference in overall usability in the little bits of time I've used it on displays in stores recently, except for the one handed typing and use which is certainly important. Idk. I think it really comes down to the fact that I really don't think a phone needs to be bigger than 4 inches. My 5s is super portable and comfortable to use, so why get a bigger iPhone when 4inches is already great? Anyone here agree?
honestly its so easy to use one handed and my hands are average at best. You will get used to it within a week.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
I don't like the build quality of the 6 as beautiful and thin it is to hold.

Front facing camera crescent issue.

Clicky screen.

Creaky home button.

Phone speaker mesh crooked.

It's such a hit or miss I will stay away until the 7. I've gone through enough new 6 and 6 pluses to speak from experience. Embarrassingly enough.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I don't like the build quality of the 6 as beautiful and thin it is to hold.

Front facing camera crescent issue.

Clicky screen.

Creaky home button.

Phone speaker mesh crooked.

It's such a hit or miss I will stay away until the 7. I've gone through enough new 6 and 6 pluses to speak from experience. Embarrassingly enough.
phone speaker mesh crooked? huh?

jggassert

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Pennsylvania
I'll be upgrading. My 5S arbitrarily goes into vibrate mode without having flick the switch, and requires a restart to turn the ringer back on...this is happening a few times a week now. It's never been dropped, and has had an otterbox on it, so it looks like new, but doesn't act like it. It will go back into the box like the 4S, 3G, and iPhone when the 6S Plus become available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.