Who's Off to Walmart tonight to Score an Ipad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DeniedTrials, Mar 10, 2011.

1. DeniedTrials macrumors newbie

So anyone else going tonight to see if they can score an Ipad at Midnight tonight?

Im heading out tonight. Hopefully I will be able to score one...

2. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Post back here if you get one. The Walmart local to me has a big sign on their iPad display that says no sales until tomorrow afternoon at 5.

3. Spartizan macrumors newbie

4. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

Yup. Same here. My store had a print out that was pasted over the old iPad 1 display case that said "On sale at 5PM"

5. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Nothing is impossible, especially at a 24 hr Wal-Mart. ;)

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Won't happen, the SKUs in their system have a timed lock on them which prevent them from being sold. Any employee that scans the item will cause the manager to be alerted by the system. They will not bypass it because they risk losing all their Apple products from that particular store if they break the contract.

It's not that hard to understand unless you still live in the 50s when all sales were done on paper by hand and not with a computer scanning system.

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

He owns a kidding?!?! :)

Good luck to anyone but I will bet they are stringent about the 5 p.m. rule.

8. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

You realize that Wal-Marts are controlled by computers right? It has nothing to do with the employees.

9. inott macrumors member

scrounging the walmarts via phone as we speak..

10. DeniedTrials thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Not at all. Why would I be? My wal-mart traditionally hasnt been to methodical in their releases on anything. I will be shocked actually if I dont pick one up after midnight...

11. mullman, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Obviously yes, but stranger things have certainly happened, especially @ Wal-Mart.
    You have hundreds of stores and thousands of employees, and someone might not have 'gotten the memo' or entered the SKUs without a sales-through lock.
    I would almost be surprised if a few units were not sold between now and 5pm tomorrow - it's a big country.

12. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

I called all the Walmarts in my general area and they said they cannot sell them before 5. Though, I do live about 15 miles south of the Walmart world headquarters.

The only way I wouldn't buy my iPad from Best Buy if I were to get it at midnight from Walmart, or if there were an Apple store in my general area. The reward points will be nice!

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

What part of Friday at 5PM part did you not understand? Walmart will not let you have it until 5PM. Apple is very clear on this. This isn't some camera or video game release. It's a tablet that god owns it. No, you cannot have one early.

14. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

There's already pictures online of a WalMart in the US with the iPad 2's in the display case. The guy took a picture and tried to buy it. When it rang through it said it could not be sold. So it is computer generated and won't be unlocked from WalMart system until 5pm.

15. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

A memo is now reaching Wal-Marts from corporate regarding the 5 PM rule. I was calling Wal-Marts and got a department head on the phone. Said he just got a memo from corporate and that they arent to be sold until 5.

Something similar happened to me last year. I managed to get a Wal-Mart to sell me an HTC HD2 phone a few days earlier then release. I posted pics and everything and it made it to many tech sites. The same day Wal-Mart corporate sent out memo's blocking sales until the release date. Reminds me of then, I dont think Wal-Mart wants to piss anyone off.

16. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The employees at the stores don't enter the SKUs, they are done by corporate and sent to the computers remotely. That means if it's not locked from one store then it is not locked for ALL stores.

The only way that anything could possibly happen is if a manager directly goes against the clearly listed instructions, risks their job, and overrides it. The chances of that happening are about the same as the manager unlocking the register and giving you $500 in cash.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

My bet is you'll get one after midnight... About 17 hours after.... :)

But hey, give it a shot. Worst case, you get a free show.

18. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

You can definitely pick it up after midnight.

17 hours after midnight.

19. mullman, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Your points are far from moot, but there is still the people equation.
    At least a dozen times in 20 years I have had something at Wal-Mart not scan and the employee scans another box or sometimes a similar product to complete the sale. It could happen by scanning an iPad 1 box and just letting it go. The pic floating around is a case of iPad & iPad 2 boxes side by side, they look fairly similar if you get an uncaring employee working the graveyard shift.

Improbable, but certainly not impossible is my point.

20. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Not saying he'll get one back on black friday they said their systems were locked and we could get the electronics we wanted at 3am in our carts but the systems would not allow a sale until 5. There was this older lady who we conned in to ringing us up and we had time to get over to target by 4am. :D

21. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I called my Wal-Mart and the electronics guy said he has not seen any and don't even know if they will get them at all.

22. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I called the one near me about 30 mins ago and he emphatically said that they would go on sale at 5:00 period. Did not even hesitate. I might too after telling the first 100 people who call.

23. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I called another pretending to be another store and asked if they got the internal iPad launch memo. I expected to be found out but he said "yup, have it right here in front of me."

24. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Lol how do you get the nerve to do that... I couldn't.

25. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Do you really think Apple would allow any of its authorized resellers to sell the ipad2 before they sell them in their own stores? Of course not. Have fun waiting in line for 17 hrs.