Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Well, that still seems a little sneaky (although not illegal).

It wouldn't matter for me, though, because I will almost certainly be going with a BTO anyway.

Sneaky? It's just a Best Buy coupon. It comes with a bunch of other coupons packaged with a change of address card from the USPS. There is nothing in it at all about being restricted to people moving from one place to another. If Best Buy wanted to put restrictions on these coupons, it would be very easy to do so - or they could simply discontinue them.

But the math really highlights the CTO cost. You could buy the 1.1gHz standard version for $1170, or (assuming a $200 cost for upgrading the 1.1/256 version to 1.3gHz) you could buy the 256gb 1.3gHz CTO for $1500. In other words, the 1.3gHz upgrade cost you $330 (assuming $200 uncharge for the 1.3gHz).

Last edited:

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
But the math really highlights the CTO cost. You could buy the 1.1gHz standard version for $1170, or (assuming a $200 cost for upgrading the 1.1/256 version to 1.3gHz) you could buy the 256gb 1.3gHz CTO for $1500. In other words, the 1.3gHz upgrade cost you $330 (assuming $200 uncharge for the 1.3gHz).

I'm not convinced any more that the faster processors are really worth it. If you look at Intel's prices (at least from what I can tell) there isn't a difference in price between the various Core M chips (all are $281 suggested price). That implies to me that they aren't sorted at all and that they will all run at the same voltage. What is gained at a faster frequency may be just more heat and less battery life.

Maybe I don't want to pay for anything more than the base frequency. Why should Apple charge us more for a chip that doesn't cost them a penny more?

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Getting one for writing. I'll browse, email, social media, etc of course. Otherwise I'm in Word and a text editor most of the time while working. I have a Sager/Clevo for gaming.

tejeshwarsekhon

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
India
Will be replacing my 2011 11" base air. Need the better screen. So i feel this is the best replacement.

Also guys any idea when can we expect the refurbs ? :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say, that I'm passing on this. While it does look like a great machine, my needs are being satisfied by my rMBP and my SP3.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I like the idea of this machine, but the specs just don't reach far enough for me. I like a lot of things about it...but I want them with the features of my MBP or Air.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Who is with me?

I don't care that I could buy a comparable MBP for the same price. I don't mind the one port, shallow keyboard, and slower processor.

I'm buying this because I love technology and want the latest and greatest and I'm not afraid to admit it. I want a laptop this thin, light, and has color options (space gray for me). I don't care that it's expensive.

Who's with me? :cool::apple:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I don't care that I could buy a comparable MBP for the same price. I don't mind the one port, shallow keyboard, and slower processor.

I'm buying this because I love technology and want the latest and greatest and I'm not afraid to admit it. I want a laptop this thin, light, and color. I don't care that it's expensive.

Same here. I'll be coming from a 13" rMBP. The performance will be more than enough for most people.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

I'm buying this because I love technology and want the latest and greatest and I'm not afraid to admit it. I want a laptop this thin, light, and color. I don't care that it's expensive.

I'm with you! :)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I'm buying this because I love technology and want the latest and greatest and I'm not afraid to admit it. I want a laptop this thin, light, and has color options (space gray for me). I don't care that it's expensive.

Regardless of whether I buy one, I think the thoroughness of the re-think that went into the rMB is amazing and worth a visit to the Apple Store even if you don't buy one. Even the 2008 MBA was arguably mostly a re-skin of existing components. It was basically the same old product, just lighter and more portable.

The rMB is closer to a complete reconceptualization of where laptops are going to be, and to get there Apple significantly changed almost everything in the machine: display, keyboard, touchpad, batteries and (gasp) hardware connectivity.

Whether or not you're on board, this is an important laptop and an impressive piece of design and engineering work.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Regardless of whether I buy one, I think the thoroughness of the re-think that went into the rMB is amazing and worth a visit to the Apple Store even if you don't buy one. Even the 2008 MBA was arguably mostly a re-skin of existing components. It was basically the same old product, just lighter and more portable.

The rMB is closer to a complete reconceptualization of where laptops are going to be, and to get there Apple significantly changed almost everything in the machine: display, keyboard, touchpad, batteries and (gasp) hardware connectivity.

Whether or not you're on board, this is an important laptop and an impressive piece of design and engineering work.

That's pretty true. It eliminates a lot of the disadvantages once had against tablets as far as portability goes. And for me, it's about getting the smallest laptop I can without sacrificing on power or a full-size keyboard. For the way I work, that's very important to me.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014

Right. Like many of you, i grew old waiting for a MBA refresh.

That train came and left :D

Now they have this. Nice.

At least they went the distance. No pussyfooting.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yeah. There's a separate question whether you or I like where Apple is taking us. Personally, I still get a lot of comfort from wired connectivity, but the future is pretty clear to me (and was, even before the rMB). In for a penny, in for a pound.

ruhollah glare

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015

I am. :apple:

Otoh, I think I've fit it into my Apple environment in a practical way, so the buy for the most part is not whimsical. ;)

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I am highly considering one. The main issue is the size, weigh and portability.
Most of my usage will be mail, safari and watch media. Occasionally I will do some Photoshop work if is a must happen while I am traveling.
Ideally the rMBP would be better suitable for my needs in Photoshop, but since this is a very occasional need, I rather go the small and portable route. I really like the MBAir 11", so the 12" MB should be good.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I've had Macbook Air's since they first came out. Truly ultra mobile wonders that have gotten better over time without loosing their intended purpose.

I will likely replace my current 2013 11" MBA with a new Macbook but haven't really decided if it will be online on release day or after I've had a chance to look at one in a store or have read some real reviews.

Its just more of what I like about an Air. Sure, the one USB-C port will be a PITA to start, but unlike Thunderbolt and Display Port and Lightning, I think USB-C will become ubiquitous and you'll be able to hook any device or interface you want to it. And the low powered CPU is somewhat of a concern but as most of my laptop use is Office, Web, and some software modeling and drawing tools, I don't need a lot of CPU power.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I'm getting the rMB 256gb. I've been using a 2011 MBA as my every day machine for ages, and the HDD is finally filling up, as well as the fact that it's wireless connection has been twitchy over the last year.

I'm a novelist and a lawyer, so I do pretty much nothing but write on a computer all the time, so I think it will be perfect for my needs. Going for the gold one to match my phone!

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Yes, easier to just go to the PO, if you live near one.

I went to two local post offices today and was directed that its been all moved to online now. I did it online but you do have to pay the $1.05 identity check fee. Small fee to pay when it will get back $130 on the new Macbook.

Only thing now I have been debating is going for the 13" rMBP with 256GB SSD. I currently have a 256 13" air and my usage fits exactly what the new rMB is being marketed for, only thing I am slightly concerned with is that I will lose 3 hours of battery life going from 12 > 9, but I am not sure how much I will notice it. I had a 13" air that had 9 hours battery life before I spilled a beer on it and loved that to death and am looking forward to having a computer the footprint of the 11" air but with a 12" retina screen.

Hoping Bestbuy will have these on the 10th, or else Ill just go to a Apple store.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I think my wife would kill me. :D

Now that I am engaged, I am understanding these statements more and more ;)
Luckily my Fiancee has a hand-me-down 11" 2010 air and a old MBP that takes about 5 mins to start up so she will gladly take my mid 2013" air allowing me to sell her two other laptops and get me a new one.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The clerk was giving you a dodge - or possibly that particular PO didn't have them. I had no trouble getting them last week at a local PO.

I went to two local post offices today and was directed that its been all moved to online now. I did it online but you do have to pay the $1.05 identity check fee. Small fee to pay when it will get back $130 on the new Macbook.

Only thing now I have been debating is going for the 13" rMBP with 256GB SSD. I currently have a 256 13" air and my usage fits exactly what the new rMB is being marketed for, only thing I am slightly concerned with is that I will lose 3 hours of battery life going from 12 > 9, but I am not sure how much I will notice it. I had a 13" air that had 9 hours battery life before I spilled a beer on it and loved that to death and am looking forward to having a computer the footprint of the 11" air but with a 12" retina screen.

Hoping Bestbuy will have these on the 10th, or else Ill just go to a Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.